The defence ministry is examining allegations of purposely ignoring unfavorable results of evaluation reports to buy controversial Swedish fighter jets.
A spokeswoman said Defence Minister Ueli Maurer had no knowledge of the confidential reports leaked to a Sunday newspaper.
The allegations are the latest in a series of controversies over the purchase of new jets to replace the F-5 fighters for the air force.
The cabinet last November decided to buy 22 Gripen fighters, worth SFr3.1 billion ($3.4 billion) from Swedish company Saab, rejecting two other rival offers. But parliament is still to decide on the funding for the acquisition amid a challenge by a pacifist group to block it altogether in a nationwide vote.
A report compiled later gave the Gripen slightly better marks but pointed out that it could not fulfil crucial demands of policing Swiss airspace.
The latest allegations have prompted a flurry of comments by parliamentarians and newspaper reports.
Critics called for Maurer to step down if he was found lying or hiding crucial facts. Others see the controversy as part of ongoing efforts to outbid rivals.
Swiss Air Force Evaluation Report on Fighter Selection (243 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Some newer stuff from me...so far
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- US Navy News and updates