Turkish navy

Stampede

Spotted this little article I thought some may find of interest about the TCG Anadolu LHD.

TCG Anadolu LHD: A Naval Platform that will Multiply the Power Projection Capability of Turkish Navy! - Defence Turkey Magazine

Some of the article discusses the naughty stuff we cannot talk about; but what did get my interest was the fact Turkey has aspirations for a sister ship of this design to be named TCG Trakya,
Also the class is built without the steel fender in the docking well to allow two LCAC's to be carried within the ship.
I wonder if this fender could be removed in the Canberra Class without too much major structural rework and would this be of a benefit to the RAN.

Enjoy the read

Regards S

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Given the deterioration in US- Turkish relations, much of the envisaged aviation kit won’t be available for these ships.

Stampede

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Given the deterioration in US- Turkish relations, much of the envisaged aviation kit won’t be available for these ships.
Probably true, but the F35 will be around longer than Turkeys current president.
Any thoughts regarding the change to the ships docking well fender.

Regards S

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The well dock modification is for the possible use of LCACs according to the article. I really don’t know the consequences, if any, on the fender design. Interesting that the Turkish navy opted for a different propulsion system, an all diesel setup as opposed to the other ships of the class which have diesel/GT setups. As for Erdogan, the aftermath of his tenure as president could possibly have negative effects lasting beyond the F-35’s shelf-life.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As for Erdogan, the aftermath of his tenure as president could possibly have negative effects lasting beyond the F-35’s shelf-life.
Yes definitely because he's significantly altered the Turkish political and legal landscape and it's military. It will be interesting to see what happens next and how he will react to his party's drubbing in the recent local govt elections.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Sandhi Yudha

Well it seems that the ATMACA AShM achieves IOC.

I think the Roketsan video was taken on 4 January 2021, when the Atmaca missile hit successfully its target in a test done by the Turkish Naval Forces.

The Atmaca will gradually replace the country's existing inventory of Harpoon missiles, but with a range exceeding 200 km, it will also have a lot of export potential.

Sandhi Yudha

An earlier presentation of an image of the Anadolu LHD with a TAI Hürjet raised some questions how the advanced jet trainer/light fighter will be able to operate from the LHD. Now they have presented an image with some TB-3 Bayraktar UCAVs on the LHD. The new image also shows that the TB-3 Bayraktar UCAV will get folding wings.

Giving the fact that Anadolu is currently scheduled to enter service in 2022, sudden redesigns of the LHD or fitting it with a complex catapult system will cause certainly delays. Also giving the TB-3 Bayraktar folding wings will need time to redesign, test and certify.

We just have to wait and see how this project develops.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
The Atmaca will gradually replace the country's existing inventory of Harpoon missiles, but with a range exceeding 200 km, it will also have a lot of export potential.
Add with Video on latest test on Atmaca, which being point as latest test before mass production stage:

Turkish forum put some Turkish media sites that told the test being witness by some foreign delegations, which represent potential export buyers. This includes Qatar, Pakistan and Indonesia.

Sandhi Yudha

The future MDAS will be similar to the Mk 41, but it will be 30 cm higher in order to be capable of embarking and launching indigenous missiles, including HİSAR surface-to-air missile family and ATMACA anti-ship missiles.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Turkish forums and media quite hype on thiz TF-2000 being shown in IDEF 2021. This project seems going to be ambitious pinacle to recent Turkish Naval Defense Industry. This project will increase significant usage of Turkish origination systems, Indigenous VLS, SSM, etc.

I always still keep some sceptical reservation on any Turkey ambitious defense project. Whether this Frigate or their TFX. Not on their defense Industry capabilities, since they do so far shown substantial progress. However more to the gap between their ambition and Turkey own financial performance.

Just like with any nationalist military enthusiats, Turkey military enthusiats have many that believe wholeheartly that their Government can provide fund for all the ambitious projects. Perhaps they can get money from Qatar (which seems quite chummy recently with Ankara). Just still for me something still not add up financially for financing the whole defense projects, which just getting more ambitious.

Sandhi Yudha

MKE from Turkiye started development of an own new naval 76 mm gun because of high procurement costs and a lengthy delivery schedule for Oto Melara 76/62 guns.

This company also presented a new concurrent for the Phalanx and the new CIWS-II from LIG-Nex1 and Hanwha.

Sandhi Yudha

Three new submarine designs at once. Probably not only for the domestic market.
So it seems that the production of the small 500 ton submarines will start next year, 2022.

More images at H I Sutton - Covert Shores