Turkish navy

Stampede

Spotted this little article I thought some may find of interest about the TCG Anadolu LHD.

TCG Anadolu LHD: A Naval Platform that will Multiply the Power Projection Capability of Turkish Navy! - Defence Turkey Magazine

Some of the article discusses the naughty stuff we cannot talk about; but what did get my interest was the fact Turkey has aspirations for a sister ship of this design to be named TCG Trakya,
Also the class is built without the steel fender in the docking well to allow two LCAC's to be carried within the ship.
I wonder if this fender could be removed in the Canberra Class without too much major structural rework and would this be of a benefit to the RAN.

Enjoy the read

Regards S

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Given the deterioration in US- Turkish relations, much of the envisaged aviation kit won’t be available for these ships.

Stampede

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Given the deterioration in US- Turkish relations, much of the envisaged aviation kit won’t be available for these ships.
Probably true, but the F35 will be around longer than Turkeys current president.
Any thoughts regarding the change to the ships docking well fender.

Regards S

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The well dock modification is for the possible use of LCACs according to the article. I really don’t know the consequences, if any, on the fender design. Interesting that the Turkish navy opted for a different propulsion system, an all diesel setup as opposed to the other ships of the class which have diesel/GT setups. As for Erdogan, the aftermath of his tenure as president could possibly have negative effects lasting beyond the F-35’s shelf-life.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As for Erdogan, the aftermath of his tenure as president could possibly have negative effects lasting beyond the F-35’s shelf-life.
Yes definitely because he's significantly altered the Turkish political and legal landscape and it's military. It will be interesting to see what happens next and how he will react to his party's drubbing in the recent local govt elections.