Italian Air Force Update and Topic

JFoulke

During the month of April, the ex-director of the office for the Aeronautic Armaments Francesco Langella (he was in charge till the end of March) has given an interview talking about the projects for the Italian Air Force.
He talked about a new variant of the C-27 cargo plane called EC27 Jedi II that would be un upgrade of the already in line Jedi I, the Jedi I has been used already in Afganistan as Aerial Electronic Warfare platform.
The new version should get better overall performance and new mission suite.

He talked also about the new UAV P2HH giving some infos about the upgrades compared to the P1HH.
The new aircraft will have better performance, endurance and max operational altitude,

These two are the main topics, but he also talked about the upgrade of the software for the EF2000 that would allow the aircrafts to use Paveway IV ordinance (Italy has 90 EFA and still need to get 6)

Has been made a proposal of acquisition of new 15 M346 and also the simulators for such aircrafts.

Also a new project should start in the near future for a new Scout Helicopters common to all the armed forces but also all the police forces.

A friend of mine has made a video discussing about these, if you want to take a look is appreciated

SolarisKenzo

2 more G550 were delivered to the Italian MoD, with 2 already operational and 6 more ordered.
Italian Air Force will operate a fleet of 10 G550:
-6 CAEW
-2 AISREW
-2 EC-37

1667326298157.png

Italian MoD also confirmed the decision to gradually convert the whole c27j line in Spec-Ops roles, turning the planes into Jedi and Praetorian versions ( EW and Gunship )

1667326585315.png

General Portolano, National Director of Armaments, met the swiss defence Minister Viola Ahmerd and confirmed that at least 24 f35 for the Swiss Air Force will be built by the italian f35 assembly line in Cameri.

1667326889701.png

swerve

Super Moderator
Six KC-46 for the Air Force

Interesting. They considered buying two KC-46 & modifying the four KC-767 to the same standard, but that was rejected as impractical & instead they're buying six KC-46 & returning the KC-767s. Dunno what Boeing will do with 'em.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
returning the KC-767s. Dunno what Boeing will do with 'em.
Those KC-767 if not mistaken already converted as freighter capabilities also.

The market for converted 767 freighter is big. This is in fact why Boeing still hold 767 lines open. I do believe Boeing will not have much problem to recondition them as full freighter for cargo base market.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Italian MoD and OCCAR signed the contract for the procurement of 10 shorad batteries based on the Camm-ER missile.

Didn't see where it said 10, however are there any more details on the system? The UK Army have their system Based on CAMM(L) known as Sky Shield.

SolarisKenzo

Didn't see where it said 10, however are there any more details on the system? The UK Army have their system Based on CAMM(L) known as Sky Shield.
The english version unfortunately doesnt point out the numbers, I'll link you an italian website where you can find more details about the systems and their price:

Launchers should come in the standard 8-cells mounted on truck.

I have, however, no idea om the numbers of launchers in every battery, or other Infos about the systems...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The english version unfortunately doesnt point out the numbers, I'll link you an italian website where you can find more details about the systems and their price:

Launchers should come in the standard 8-cells mounted on truck.

I have, however, no idea om the numbers of launchers in every battery, or other Infos about the systems...
Thanks, does sound like the UK Sky Shield / Sky Sabre or whatever they call it. It's 8 cells on a MAN truck, a control truck and a Giraffe radar.

swerve

Super Moderator
I think the Italians will continue to use their own systems.

The Italian version speaks of it being integrated into SAMP/T, & with the Sirius command & control system & Kronos 3D Land radar. It says the Italian air force & army Spada systems have recently been upgraded (at least, some of them) with Sirius & Kronos, & the CAMM-ER missiles & launchers will replace Aspide missiles & radars.

MBDA speaks of EMADS, a modular system encompassing both the British & Italian systems, but I can't help wondering if there's so much modularity that there's almost no commonality. As far as I can see what it shares with Sky Sabre those parts of CAMM-ER which are shared with the basic CAMM, & probably the launcher. System architecture? No idea.

It says six batteries (sei batterie) for the army (esercito) & four 'complete systems' for the air force (quattro sistemi completi da parte dell’Aeronautica Militare).

SolarisKenzo

More signs that Italy is going to buy a new airlifter.
After the ( not officially confirmed ) deal with Sweden:
Now rumors from Greece ( with confirmations from Greek MoD ):

Talks within italian air force confirmed that the MoD is currently evaluating the possible options.
My two cents based on what I was able to understand from insiders and from official statements about cargo fleet:
- C27s are going to be converted for Special Forces operations and wont perform cargo anymore
- c130Js fleet will be reduced to only 1 group
- 2 new groups will be created with the newly aquired machines

And, regarding the new airlifter:
- Likely to be an aircraft already in production and used by NATO
- Possibly bigger than C130j
- No need for a full-strategic airlifter
- Only European and American/allies planes will be considered, the other are not even going to be evaluted

My 2 cents:
- Airbus A400m ( likely )
- second hand c17s ( less likely )
- Mitsubishi C2s ( unlikely )

swerve

Super Moderator
C-390 is a bit bigger than a C-130, has been ordered by two NATO air forces (with Portugal scheduled to get its first this month, last I heard) & selected by a third (the Netherlands wants 5) so it fits everything except "Only European and American/allies planes", unless you think that being technically allied to the USA via the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance (aka the Rio treaty) qualifies.

A400M would fit in with allies better, though.

SolarisKenzo

C-390 is a bit bigger than a C-130, has been ordered by two NATO air forces (with Portugal scheduled to get its first this month, last I heard) & selected by a third (the Netherlands wants 5) so it fits everything except "Only European and American/allies planes", unless you think that being technically allied to the USA via the Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance (aka the Rio treaty) qualifies.

A400M would fit in with allies better, though.
The Brazilian plane was excluded from evaluation.
At least, that's the info I have.

SolarisKenzo

The italian defence Minister visited Leonardo's Helicopter division in Vergiate, Milan.
The AW-249 was officially revealed.

1679592208934.png
Some photos of the new attack helicopters
1679592244876.png

The AW 249 is quite big compared to its predecessor, and will use many of the a-129 Mangusta's latest equipments, such as the Rafael TOPLITE Targeting Systems, Spike missiles and the 20mm gun.
The program will probably consist of 48 helicopters for the italian army, excluding the prototypes and pre-series.
It is supposed to enter service in 2025-2026 and the program is aimed to give the italian armed forces an attack helicopter relatively cheap ( as I said, to lower the costs many mature techs will be used ) and easily usable from Naval units.

Pictures from: MinDef