Government is aware of the nature of the threats in Cyber Space and is taking appropriate measures to address these threats by way of an integrated approach with a series of legal, technical and administrative steps to effectively deal with the issue of cyber security in the country and to ensure that necessary systems are in place to address the growing threat of cyber attacks.
In support of this approach, the Information Technology Act, 2000 has included adequate provisions for protection of critical information infrastructure and cyber security incident response in the country.
In order to address the issues of cyber security in a holistic manner, the Government has come out with a draft “National Cyber Security Policy” after public consultation, to unify the various activities and programmes of the Government to address the cyber security challenges with an integrated vision and a set of sustained & coordinated strategies for implementation.
In addition, Government is taking various measures to ensure necessary awareness and robust security system in all the critical Government agencies.
Salient features of the steps taken by the Government are given below:
- Computers Security Policies, Standard Operating Procedures and guidelines were formulated and circulated to all Ministries / Departments for implementation.
- All Central Government Ministries / Departments and State / Union Territory Government have been advised to conduct security auditing of entire Information Technology infrastructure including websites periodically to discover gaps with respect to security practices and take appropriate corrective actions.
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) has been directed not to host web sites, which are not audited with respect to cyber security.
- A “Crisis Management Plan for countering cyber attacks and cyber terrorism” is in place and circulated for implementation by all Ministries / Departments of Central Government, State Governments and their organizations and critical sectors.
- The Information Technology Act, 2000 as amended by the Information Technology (Amendment) Act, 2008 has been enforced with effect from 27.10.2009. The Act provides legal framework to address the issues connected with security breaches of information technology infrastructure.
- The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) issues alerts and advisories regarding latest cyber threats and countermeasures on regular basis.
- This was stated by Minister of State in the Ministry of Home Affairs Shri R.P.N.Singh in Rajya Sabha today.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- NZDF General discussion thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- ADF General discussion thread
- Future of the Global Hawk
- Marine Nationale Discussions and Updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- DT Hall of Shame - Ban List
- Tactical Nuclear weapons - still relevant?
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation