Russia’s next-generation nuclear-powered attack submarines will have a double-hull structure and a displacement of up to 12,000 tons, the Malakhit design bureau said Monday.
“The displacement will be roughly similar to that of the Yasen-class subs – some 12,000 tons or even slightly less,” Malakhit’s deputy general director Nikolai Novoselov said in an interview with RIA Novosti.
According to Novoselov, the double-hull design will remain a feature of Russian nuclear-powered attack submarines.
“We believe it is better than the single-hull design,” he said, adding that his bureau had been developing the concept of fifth-generation attack subs on its own initiative as the Defense Ministry had not yet provided the company with the list of design specification demands.
Novoselov said also that Russian next-generation nuclear-powered attack submarines will also be armed with torpedoes, missiles and underwater drones. The underwater drones will be able to detach from the submarine while switched off and power up on command. The submarine will be able to leave the area covertly, while the drone will simulate the submarine’s presence.
Russia is now using the new, fourth generation Yasen-class nuclear multipurpose attack submarines. The Severodvinsk is in active service, while the second vessel, the Kazan, is now under construction.
Russia is also using nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines known as the Borei class. Two modern submarines – the Yury Dolgorukiy and the Alexander Nevskiy are in active service, the Vladimir Monomakh is to be delivered this month, while three other submarines are currently under construction.