Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Navy News and updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by AegisFC, Jul 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. AegisFC

AegisFC Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Navy Secretary Donald Winter announced Friday that the new amphibious assault ship known as LHA 6 would be named America, granting the wish of veterans of the aircraft carrier America, who have lobbied for another ship to take the name after theirs was sunk as a target in 2005.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/06/navy_america_name_063008w/

Good news, but I'd much rather have USS America be a CVN rather than a "mere" amphib. However for things like humanitarian missions a headline of "USS America helps those in <fill in the blank>" sounds very good from a public relations standpoint, so I guess it is a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  2. Jezza

Jezza Member

yeah the new carrier ford was suppose to be uss america.
    marines carrier just doesnt cut it

3. Sea Toby

Sea Toby New Member

Ever since the Carter administration named the carrier Carl Vinson, carriers have been named after presidents. There are many more presidents to choose from, I do not see this practice being ended. America did much better than Independence, a lowly LCS.

Therefore, if you want former carrier names in the fleet, other ship types will have to be factored in. I much prefer an amphibious assault ship than a destroyer or a LPD/LSD. These signs have been in the works for twenty years, surely you didn't expect a carrier?

4. swerve

swerve Super Moderator

There were carriers named after US presidents before that, & since then the USS John C. Stennis.

Personally, I don't like the idea of naming ships after anyone who's still alive, or politicians in general. I can tolerate exceptions to the second rule, but preferably only where they have been outstanding national leaders. I'll accept Charles de Gaulle, for example, or Abraham Lincoln, or Winston Churchill.

5. Feanor

Feanor Super Moderator Staff Member

Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
    How about a Joseph Stalin? :)

6. Waylander

Waylander Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Yeah right, we could also name our next ship Adolf H. Would be as good as naming one after the old Georgian... ;)

7. swerve

swerve Super Moderator

That's for the Georgian navy, right? AKA იოსებ ბესრიონის სტალინი. Along with the Lavrenti Pavles dze Beria/ლავრენტი ბერია.

8. Spacearrow99

Spacearrow99 Member

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3626171&c=AME&s=SEA

So, two DDG 1000 may get built. This is not a big deal for the USN. The Burkes are excellent destroyers. The DDG 1000 are technolgy demonstrators. The USN threw almost all of their NG systems on the DDG 1000. The cost of the DDG 1000 are high, the USN is for paying for development costs of the the 57mms, PVLS, SPY-3/MFR radar, and the 155mms, etc. All those systems will be fully developed when CG(X) are built.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. AegisFC

Only 2 DDG-1000's will be built.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/07/defense_ddg1000_072208/

I think this is a good move, the USN does not need more than 2 over specialized shore bombardment platforms. Fitting the AGS on a Burke doesn't make sense either since in order to fit it I would imagine that one of the VLS's would have to go (probably the forward one with the existing cannon) since the AGS is a very heavy and space intensive system.

10. Jezza

Jezza Member

it would of been better to keep them simple.
    aegis ships would of protected them.

All they needed was 3 to 4 main guns with extended rounds and cruise missiles. Just a big gun ship with heaps of storage for rounds.
    Large helo deck for re supply.

self defense should of been 2 ciws and 4 double 50 cals or 25mm
    remote cannons and 2 ram launchers.

1 ship per fleet would of been better.

11. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

So why does Bath Iron Works only build destroyers, surely they can build other vessels?

12. Jezza

Jezza Member

Notable ships built
    Virginia-class battleship
    USS Georgia (BB-15), launched in 1904
    Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates
    USS Samuel B. Roberts (FFG-58), launched in 1984 and repaired after being punctured by a mine in 1988
    USS Simpson (FFG-56), launched August 31, 1984. One of four U.S. Navy ships in commission to have sunk an enemy vessel with shipboard weaponry, the others being the USS Constitution, USS Porter (DDG-78), and USS Carter Hall (LSD-50),
    Arleigh Burke-class destroyers
    USS Arleigh Burke (DDG-51), commissioned July 4, 1991.
    USS Bainbridge (DDG-96), launched in 2005
    USS Gridley (DDG-101), launched in 2006
    USS Sterett (DDG-104),
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_Iron_Works

500 odd ships--- http://www.gdbiw.com/

13. weasel1962

weasel1962 New Member

Re:

Deleted

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  14. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Member

What about the new Coast Guard ships?

I just noticed on the ship list for Bath Iron Works that there is a Burke Class Destroyer called the John S McCain, so if the old boy is elected will he be the first serving President with a ship in active service named after him?

15. Jezza

Jezza Member

Northrop grumman build the national security cutter.
    Not sure about the Fast Response Cutter (FRC) or
    Offshore Patrol Cutter (OPC)

The National Security Cutter will be the largest and most technically advanced class cutter in the U.S. Coast Guard. Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin are teamed to build eight of these state-of-the-art vessels.
    http://www.northropgrumman.com/about_us/shipbuilding.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  16. AegisFC

The ship is named after his father and grand father, not for him.

17. Sea Toby

Sea Toby New Member

Marinette Marine built the buoy tenders, both seagoing and coastal lately, along with the latest Mackinaw icebreaker. The new Mackinaw is an enlarged Juniper class buoy tender built with an icebreaker hull, she has slightly larger dimensions. A number of shipyards could build the new FRC patrol boats.

Depending on who wins the LCS contract for the navy, I would suspect the loser with Northrup Grumman-Ingalls in Mississippi will contend for the OPC program. I expect Bath to compete in the DDGX or CCGX programs.

18. Sea Toby

Sea Toby New Member

The destroyer was named after his grandfather and father. Although she has the same name, he is after all John S. McCain III. As far as being borned in Panama, his father was stationed there at that time. Otherwise he would have been borned in America. The Supreme Court has ruled in favor of military dependents borned abroad as American citizenships before. More than military families also use this loophole for American citizenship. America won't deny American citizenship to foreign borned military dependents whether from admirals, corporals, or privates.

19. bd popeye

bd popeye Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Exactly, My oldest son was born in the US Naval Hospital in Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines. He's a US citizen through and through..No big deal really..

20. Sea Toby

Sea Toby New Member

Yes, the majority of Americans agree. However, there are those today for partisan reasons who don't agree currently, but if the shoe was on another horse they would think differently.