Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Navy News and updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by AegisFC, Jul 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

The interesting thing about this is that in a case-by-case basis some folks can retain dual citizenships.

I know of a case of a US military member who is a naturalized US Citizen from Portugal (as is the spouse). Their child was born in Brazil and received passports from the USA, Brazil and Portugal.

(Sorry for going way off-topic)

2. CarrierRider

CarrierRider New Member

3. AegisFC

AegisFC Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

The recent fire on the USS George Washington was caused by unauthorized smoking and improperly stowed flammable material. The CO and XO were both fired as well, so far no one else is in line for punishment.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/07/navy_gw_firings_073008w/

While it is the standard move to replace the CO and sometimes the XO when things like this happens I wonder if it was the right choice in this case. A CVN isn't like a destroyer where the CO or XO can easily visit every space on the ship, he has to rely on his officers and chiefs to ensure that HAZMAT and other flammable material is stowed properly. The DIVO's and especially chiefs in charge of the spaces where the fire started and spread the fastest are the ones that need to be slammed, same with any one found to have directly led to this accident.
    The other thing that bothers me is that 80 spaces and over 70 million dollars in damage was caused by a cigarette, what if this would of been battle damage, a magazine or other major fire? This may be a sign that damage control is falling to the way side.

4. weasel1962

weasel1962 New Member

Re:

Deleted

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. AegisFC

The debate over what Congress will let the navy build is still going on, the next week or so should be interesting.
    This article is saying that congress really isn't interested in restarting the Burke line.
    http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0708/073008cdpm2.htm
    An additional LPD-17, a sub and a couple T-AKE's isn't bad, and the USN doesn't need more DDG's, honestly it needs low end craft and LCS isn't exactly low end.

6. weasel1962

weasel1962 New Member

Re:

Deleted

7. weasel1962

weasel1962 New Member

Deleted

8. Salty Dog

A real pity. I met the CO and XO when the GW was in Rio de Janeiro this past April. Some very professional folks from the CO on down that showed tremendous pride in their ship and work. Unfortunately the blame had to be placed somewhere.

9. Firehorse

Firehorse Banned Member

10. contedicavour

contedicavour New Member

Good idea to locate all USN news in one thread.
    Regarding the stopping of DDG-1000 to only 2 ships - I've always been in support of cointinuing the Burke class with a Flight-III series of 20+ with more VLS for cruise missiles instead of building huge arsenal battleships. Yes the technology developed with the 2 ships will be useful, but the USN would never have afforded a sizeable class of DDG-1000s.
    IMHO the USN needs lots of Burke and of LCS to support the carriers and the Marines.
    However at the moment the USN is really going through rough seas... the Virginia SSNs capped at 4 if I'm not mistaken, the LCS suffering delays and cuts, the DDG-1000 stopping at 2...

cheers

11. Salty Dog

It's actually the Seawolf class SSN which was capped at (3). Quite a few of the Virginia class SSNs will be built as they replace the Los Angeles class SSNs. LCS-1, Freedom is undergoing builders trials.

Cheers

12. baranek

baranek New Member

13. Firehorse

Firehorse Banned Member

George Washington Departs San Diego for Japan
    http://www.navycompass.com/content/view/746/326/

So, what exactly caused that fire?

14. AegisFC

15. Firehorse

Firehorse Banned Member

I've read it before but wondered if there is anything new on that out. I suspect that there were other causes. On long cruises/transits with exotic port calls some in the crew become complacent and less disciplined.
    Well, I'll have to use my own contacts to find more.. stay tuned!

16. AegisFC

There isn't any big mystery. Some crew members were smoking in an unauthorized space rather than the smoke deck, their happened to be some illicit hazmat in the space as well that the CPO and Division Officers didn't catch or turned a blind eye on, a fire happened and that was it.

17. Salty Dog

Not 100% approved, but there is a possibility of a 3rd DDG-1000 and/or continuation of DDG-51 new builds.

Navy to Seek Third Stealth Destroyer

18. Salty Dog

Some interesting laser and energy weapons for the future as well as development of next generation air launched missiles.

Read the full article.

19. Firehorse

Firehorse Banned Member

Reagan Launches First Sorties
    http://www.military.com/news/article/navy-news/reagan-launches-first-sorties.html

Patrol Coastal Ships Returned to Navy
    http://www.military.com/news/article/navy-news/patrol-coastal-ships-returned-to-navy.html

Well, I didn't know they were swapping ships! http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/0304.htm

Sometimes their roles overlap- CG ships going overseas and USN ships doing CP missions!

40 years after capture, USS Pueblo crew reunites
    http://wiredispatch.com/news/?id=333343

I wonder how long that ship can sit in the water without drydocking? They may incase it in concrete like IJN Mikasa!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  20. Salty Dog

USS Gerald R. Ford, CVN-78, the next generation CVN is closer towards reality.