The Government has approved the acquisition of eight P-8A Poseidon maritime surveillance aircraft.
These state-of-the-art aircraft will dramatically boost Australia’s ability to monitor its maritime approaches and patrol over 2.5 million square kilometres of our marine jurisdiction – an area equating to nearly 4 per cent of the world’s oceans.
The first aircraft will be delivered in 2017, with all eight aircraft fully operational by 2021. The Government has also approved an option for a further four aircraft subject to the outcomes of the Defence White Paper review.
The P-8A is a potent and highly versatile aircraft. As well as patrolling Australia’s maritime approaches it can conduct search and rescue, anti-submarine and maritime strike missions using torpedoes and Harpoon missiles.
These aircraft will work closely with other existing and future ADF assets, and the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) aviation fleet, to secure our ocean resources, including offshore energy resources off northern Australia, and protect our borders.
The acquisition of the eight P-8A aircraft will cost approximately $4 billion, including support facilities.
This project will offer significant opportunities for industry and jobs creation. Australian businesses have already won approximately $8.5 million of work associated with Australia’s participation in the P-8A programme and stand to benefit by as much as $1 billion through construction of facilities at RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia and elsewhere and work to meet maintenance and other support needs.
The Prime Minister and the Minister for Defence today inspected a visiting US Navy P-8A aircraft currently in Australia for joint exercises with the Royal Australian Air Force and the Royal Australian Navy.
The Coalition Government is committed to building a strong, capable and sustainable Australian Defence Force.
Related Topic Tags
- Arms sales, australia, boeing, exports, maritime, maritime surveillance aircraft, military sale, P-8A, surveillance
Keywords:Msa navy, Australia P8 Aircraft, australia to buy p-8 aircraft, australias new maritime surveillance planes, maritime patrol aircraft for the republic of singapore airforce
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Armored Vehicle Recognition Guide
- Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel
- UFO or secret fighter jet?
- Land 400
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Question from Military Fiction Author on bridge destruction