Numbers Crunch: The Air Force invests more of its total budget in joint force support than any other service. In fact, investments in joint capabilities, such as space, mobility, and intelligence-surveillance-reconnaissance, account for about 45 percent of its total budget, states a new Mitchell Institute for Airpower Studies report released Wednesday.
That’s nearly a 40 percent increase since 1962, according to Arsenal of Airpower: USAF Aircraft Inventory, 1950-2009. “[I]f the Air Force retired its entire fighter, bomber, and intercontinental ballistic missile force, its spending would only decline 25 percent,” reads the report.
Those trends aren’t good news for Air Force planners who are trying to keep an aging fleet of aircraft flying with less and less funding in the total budget.
Speaking at the report’s rollout event in Arlington, Va., Christopher Bowie, one of the report’s authors, offered two suggestions: First, the Air Force needs to utilize unmanned systems more since they can have up to one-third less total ownership costs due to their extended flight endurance and greater training flexibility. Second, it needs to focus more aggressively on directed energy.Airpower: US Air Force (USAF) Aircraft Inventory 1950-2009 (1993 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:russian air force, usaf aircraft inventory, air force aircraft inventory, us air force aircraft inventory, us air force arsenal
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- Philippines to Re-Focus on Territorial Defence in 2012
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Navy Carrier Battle Group composition
- Cooling system supplier for Wheeled armored vehicle
- Gaza/Israel clashes thread
- Indonesian Aero News
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates