RSN capabilities

SGMilitary

Anyone knows what is the development plan for RSN over the next 5-10 years?

It was speculated that out Victory covettes will be replaced with a larger

and more capable stealth frigates in the next several years.

And as mentioned the next 5-10 years will be a modernisation plans for a 3G

SAF.

Anyone has any comments??

contedicavour

I actually thought the new Delta/modified Lafayette FFGs was destined to replace eventually all FACs... With 5 FFG, the ex Swedish SSKs and the big LSTs Singapore is already a very powerful navy.
In terms of procurement the most interesting part to me will be the new SSKs that will replace the old Sjormen. Singapore is tightly linked to Swedish designs, but with the Viking programme closed after Norway and Denmark quit, I don't know what could come next.

cheers

contedicavour

Main surface fleet has 2 surface sqns in 1st flotilla + the new sub sqn.

SG sqns comes in 6. FFGs will only replace the missile gunboats (lurssen FACs). Victory corvettes will remain.

Subs-wise, the SG navy is learning sub warfare hence the acquisition of the sjoormens and gotlands. So in the next 5 years, there wouldn't be a requirement for advanced subs.

For development, suggest reading the 40th anniversary commerative book issued in May 07 (chap 6). That should shed some light.

latest news is the introduction of the new unmanned remote vessels.
Interesting. So eventually the Victory big FACs (calling them corvettes is a bit of a stretch) will be replaced by enlarged Delta/Lafayette... or why not even an adapted version of FREMM with Aster-30 ?

Vs the SSKs, the 2 exported Gotlands are recent, but the Sjoormen are very old (early '70s) so they will need to be replaced soon.

cheers

SGMilitary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
RSN modernisation

The 2 SSK are vestergotland and not gotland ssk.

The vestergotlands are upgraded are improved with AIP system.

The RSN has to relook into advanced submarines as all it's current ssk

purchased are either built in the late 60's or 80's albeit that they

were upgraded to enhance their combat capabilities.

the RSN has to re-equipped her formidables with aster 30 as the RMN

has choosen the ESSM.

I'm hoping that the RSN will operate at least 12 stealth frigates and

12 stealth corvettes in the next 10-12 years.

luv2surf

The Formidable's are fitted with the A43 launcher which is limited to the Aster 15's the A50 launcher would be needed for the Aster 30's, which could be a problem as it is a three deck(length) system compared to the A43's two decks.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Right now, I think it would be strange if the sjoormens were dumped that quickly. Doesn't make sense to go through so much effort to refurbish the boats only to dump them within 5 years. That's why despite the public statements that stated the gotlands will replace 2 of the sjoormen, I'm still a bit sceptical. Afterall, as mentioned, fleet sqn sizes run in 6.
My understanding was that the four Challenger/Sjoormen-class, and then the two later Vastergotland-class were purchased so that the RSN could develop the operational knowledge and experience to make use of a SSK fleet. Given that the first example of the Challenger/Sjoormen-class was commissioned into RSN service ten years ago after something like two decades of service in the Swedish Navy I can well see the RSN wishing for a more recent vessel though the Vastergotland-class SSKs are themselves not new. I think it also possible that some of the RSN SSKs could then be taken off the roles of active SSKs and instead assigned as training vessels. Of course, this all depends on how much useful life is left in the subs, and how much was spent acquiring and modifying them.

-Cheers

SGMilitary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Formidable Frigates

I heard rumours that in between the mast there is a specially designed
space to install new generation weapons.
On top of that, the frigates are also equipped with Singapore Technologies
Naval Weapon Remote System.it consist of 2 X 30MM Bushmasters 30MM canons.Each canons is equipped with 6 ready to launch Mistral IR missiles.
The decoy launchers have the capability to launch missiles as well.
Practically, the frigates are equipped with the following
1 X 76MM Stealth cupola super rapid gun
2 X 30MM canons with 12 X Mistral IR
32 X Aster 15
8 X Harpoon Block II
6 X A244S
1 X S70B equipped with Penguin ASM/A244S
EDO sonar
herakles phased array radar
NGDS
Rafale Pearl M
other advanced electronos countermeasures from europe and israel

contedicavour

One should wonder however what use the Singaporean FFGs would have of Aster-30s with a range of 120km. They would mostly operate under cover of land based F16s and F15s and the Aster-15s already have a range of 30km and provide limited area defence (just as the ESSM bought by Malaysia).

On the SSK debate, Sweden is probably a bit desperate to find a partner with whom they can develop a new generation SSK (in place of the defunct Viking programme). Singapore can probably get a huge rebate. Any new build would not arrive until 5+ years from now. By then the fist Sjoormen will be 35+ years old.

cheers

luv2surf

I think that the chances of the Formidables being fitted for the Aster 30 are pretty slim,two reasons 1 :Why wouldn't they have fitted them with the A50 and only ordered the Aster 15 (for the time being)
The other reason being operational requirements.

@SGMilitary
Do you have any links re: 30mm and Mistral,Penguin and the Harpoon BlockII

kotay

I heard rumours that in between the mast there is a specially designed space to install new generation weapons.
Don't believe everything you hear ... go do a ship's tour and it'd be pretty obvious there's no below deck space for such.

There's also a reason why MINDEF refers to the Formidables as FFS ... and I don't think the "S" stands for Stealth.

kotay

@SGMilitary
Do you have any links re: 30mm and Mistral,Penguin and the Harpoon BlockII
Models of the Formidable Frigate displayed by ST Marine show a non-penetrating gun mount on both rear corners above the hangar. It is quite conceivable that they could mount a Typhoon CWS (Oto Melara 30/40mm gun). Given that the Typhoon is already in service with the RSN and that there is a Typhoon GSA mount with integrated MANPAD rails ... it's entirely plausible. Although whether it's a Mistral or 6 missiles per gun mount ... :?

The RSN has also ordered S-70Bs for their Formidables. Since the Penguin is the stated primary AShm missile for the Seahawks, that is a possibility. Another lesser possibility may be the Sea Skua.

Red

I think that the chances of the Formidables being fitted for the Aster 30 are pretty slim,two reasons 1 :Why wouldn't they have fitted them with the A50 and only ordered the Aster 15 (for the time being)
The other reason being operational requirements.
When the Formidables were ordered the A50 launchers were not ready. I remembered they were still being tested. Also, as some other people have already mentioned, what are the Aster 30s exactly going to shoot amongst the SEA nations ? My opinion is that the Aster 15s are sufficient for the time being. But then again it depends on the threat scenario. If everyone in SEA jumps on the Bhramos/Khs band-wagon, you can be certain that Aster 30s will be acquired. As it is, even the Malaysians are getting the ESSMs. So, obviously the threat environment warrants it in the opinion of the RMN. Or that it has become necessary for navies in the region to up the ante with respect to anti-air missiles.

Actually, there is space in the hull to plant the A50 launchers or even the A70/Mk 41 launchers. This is not a small boat at 3200 tonnage which requires less than 60-70 men to operate. You can also see it from the dimensions. In fact, they have even carved out space on the deck to fit in a 127 mm gun in the future. It is very much in line with the RSN`s way of upgrading the systems later on. An example is the Victory class line of ships.

In my conversations with the RSN staff during the latest open house, it is mentioned that the ships can/will be upgraded with more/better/long range missiles/weapons in the future. A more interesting comment made is that the RSN is looking at acquiring weapons to shoot down enemy platforms from huge distances to protect RSN ships because Singapore could not afford to lose men and equipment as readily as other countries given our size.

Interestingly, the latest stealth ship designs by ST Marine feature larger ships with more vls cells. The Victory class corvettes are due for replacements next decade. So, it is something very interesting to me to keep an eye on. The trouble with Singapore procurement is that you will know about it only very late in the process. Cheers :)

Last edited:

nero

NSM from KDA

Models of the Formidable Frigate displayed by ST Marine show a non-penetrating gun mount on both rear corners above the hangar. It is quite conceivable that they could mount a Typhoon CWS (Oto Melara 30/40mm gun). Given that the Typhoon is already in service with the RSN and that there is a Typhoon GSA mount with integrated MANPAD rails ... it's entirely plausible. Although whether it's a Mistral or 6 missiles per gun mount ... :?

The RSN has also ordered S-70Bs for their Formidables. Since the Penguin is the stated primary AShm missile for the Seahawks, that is a possibility. Another lesser possibility may be the Sea Skua.

KDA's successor to the penguin will be the Naval Strike Missile (NSM), scheduled to be offered from 2007 onwards. NSM will feature an imaging IR-seeker, GPS navigation, a turbojet sustainer engine (for much longer ranges: 150+ km), and significantly more computer performance and digital signal processing power.

NSM is the only fourth generation missile in existence as per today. Already chosen by the Royal Norwegian Navy for its new Frigates and fast Patrol Boats, NSM will be fully operational on these new ships when they enter service in 2007.

Modern warhead ensures effectiveness equal to a much larger missile.
Weight: approx. 400 kg.
Range: in excess of 150 km.
Platforms: Ships, trucks, armoured vehicles, and airborne weapon carriers.
Designed for littoral waters as well as open sea scenarios. (The advanced design allows the missile to fly around and over landmasses.)

Made of composites, the NSM will be the world's most sophisticated stealth strike missile. Advanced design technology has minimised the missile's signature. Its excellent sea-skimming ability and random manouvres in the terminal phase make it virtually impossible to stop. The imaging infrared seeker is completely passive. Target selection is at the forefront of new technology. That provides NSM with a substantial capacity for autonomous detection and recognition of targets - at sea or on land.

nero

Interesting. So eventually the Victory big FACs (calling them corvettes is a bit of a stretch) will be replaced by enlarged Delta/Lafayette... or why not even an adapted version of FREMM with Aster-30 ?

Vs the SSKs, the 2 exported Gotlands are recent, but the Sjoormen are very old (early '70s) so they will need to be replaced soon.

cheers

any news on the Gotland-class SSKs ??

there was talk about an improved-variant of gotland of being built

what happened to that ??