Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Navy News and updates

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by AegisFC, Jul 3, 2008.

Share This Page

1. AegisFC

AegisFC Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

You are not going to find much, the whole thing is classified for good reason.

2. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

AFAIK the ex-USS America was not used as a target. It was a 4 week long test to gather data on the survivability of a super-carrier by placing explosives above water and below water to simulate missile hits, torpedo hits, and small boat attacks. As AegisFC mentioned, the results would be classified.

3. bd popeye

bd popeye Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

I think Salty Dogs response best describes what was the final fate of the America. After all that pummeling off and on for 4 weeks she did not sink and was finally sunk bu USN EOD set explosives.

We all would love to see some sort of video or Discovery, NatGeo, Military etc channel presentation of the sinking. But as mentioned the sinking was, is and shall remain classified.

4. AegisFC

A lot of articles and new pictures have come out about LCS-1 in the last few weeks as it completes its transit out of the Great Lakes.

http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/photo/FREEDOM_PANO

A virtual tour of the bridge, bridge wing, berthing (those racks have a lot of room compared to every other enlisted rack in the USN), waterborne mission zone, turbine module, reconfigurable mission zones one and two, hangar (or "airborne mission zone":rolleyes:) and RAM deck.

Galrahn from Information Dissemination was on LCS for part of its Great Lakes transit and took quite a few pictures.

5. AegisFC

I doubt anything like that will ever enter into the public domain, it took a FOIA request and lots of lobbing from a veterans group just to get the location of the ex-America.

6. Salty Dog

Excellent material AegisFC and Galrahn. Thank you very much mates, BZ!

7. Galrahn

Galrahn Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Yea I got tons of pictures from that trip, way too many to post on the blog. Hit the LCS tag on the blog if you want to see my pics from the trip, or if you are looking for something specific let me know, because if I have a photo I can upload it for ya.

8. AegisFC

Do you have anything on the CIC or CCS? I've heard the ship does not have a traditional CIC but it is directly behind the bridge and the 2 are more integrated than on a normal ship.

9. Galrahn

Galrahn Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

It is called the MCC, Mission Control Center, and it could be more integrated, but that is probably a slogan. It is not directly behind the bridge, but down in the ship.

I can't post any of the pics I took of that specific room, too much information came through the consoles in the pics I took, but David has a picture up on Wired. I do have some stuff on the room I can post though, will dig it up tonight.

10. mig3535

mig3535 Banned Member

video

Admin: Deleted. Read the Rules re expected posting behaviour. This is not a forum designed to promote your presence on other links.

Warning issued.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  11. ChEB

ChEB New Member

not as glamorus as the LCS, DDG, Carriers or Gators but just as important. Here some recent updates on the new combat logistic supply vessels.

12. tatra

tatra New Member Verified Defense Pro

13. AegisFC

LCS-4 has been ordered.

General Dynamics Awarded Contract for Additional Trimaran Littoral Combat Ship

I'm more of a fan of the LCS-1 design, but I'm looking forward to hearing about how LCS-2 handles its sea trials.

14. AegisFC

An interesting article about lean manning all USN ships face these days.

Lean manning saps morale, puts sailors at risk - Navy News, news from Iraq - Navy Times

I'm not going to post the rest of the article but it is a good read.

I had to live with low manning on my last couple years of service, it isn't just reduction in billets crew get pulled off for IA assignments and then you have the issue of females getting pregnant and not getting replaced. Before my final deployment the destroyer I was on had about 10 females get pregnant and not make the deployment.
    It is affecting the material condition of the ships, the USS San Jacinto had to pull 87 extra people from more than a dozen commands to get the ship in shape for INSURV.

InSurv prep means extensive outside help - Navy News, news from Iraq - Navy Times

15. Salty Dog

Amen mate. I lived through that as well. I recall when the Spruance class were brand new with their minimum manning concept. We could manage with inport and underway watchbills, however, material and space maintenance were another issue. I know the FFG-7 class had the same challenges. Life was better on an Adams Class DDG since we had quite a bit more warm bodies for everything. I am impressed with the lower manning in the LCS classes. It will be interesting how they fare with increased optempo. I know smaller crews are not a new concept in the USN as the minesweepers, PHMs, and PCCs were crewed in a similar fashion. Smaller crews means it is critical each member must each pull their own weight, quite a bit more critical than the larger combatants fat with larger personnel numbers. With respect to "manning", we had great on steam powered combatants.

16. gf0012-aust

gf0012-aust Grumpy Old Man Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

US navy Discussion and Updates

Austal Commences JHSV Construction

Friday, December 18, 2009, 12:39 PM

Austal has received authorization from the U.S. Navy to commence construction on the first of up to ten 338-ft Joint High Speed Vessels (JHSV).

After Austal successfully completed the Production Readiness Review (PRR) and necessary DoD approvals were obtained, the Navy authorized Austal’s Mobile, Ala. facility to immediately begin construction of Fortitude (JHSV 1).

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy Austal

As the US Department of Defense’s next generation multi-use platform, the JHSV will provide rapid intra-theater deployment/transportation of personnel, equipment and supplies. The vessel will support military logistics, sustainment and humanitarian relief operations and will be capable of speeds up to 43 knots.

Austal was selected as Prime contractor in November 2008 to design and build the first JHSV, with options for nine additional vessels expected to be exercised between FY09 and FY13.

Fortitude will be the first Austal design to be constructed using the new procedures and processes developed in conjunction with Austal’s recently-competed Module Manufacturing Facility (MMF). The MMF provides Austal with assembly line efficiency, resulting in significant cost savings and reduced lead times.

Austal USA President and Chief Operating Officer, Joe Rella, commented, “What makes this program destined for success is the high degree of maturity of the design, coupled with the module manufacturing process to be completed in our new facility. Our workforce is in place and ready to start construction.”

The Austal JHSV will transport medium-size operational units with their vehicles, or reconfigure to provide troop transport for an infantry battalion, allowing units to transit long distances while maintaining unit integrity. The vessel also supports helicopter operations and has an off-load vehicle ramp which enables use of austere piers and quay walls, common in developing countries. A shallow draft (under 13 ft) will further enhance theater port access.

The Austal JHSV team includes platform systems engineering agent General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems, which is responsible for the design, integration and testing of the ship’s electronic systems.

Austal USA is also currently building two 416.6 ft Littoral Combat Ships (LCS) for the US Navy, with the first, Independence (LCS 2), scheduled for completion by the end of the year.

(www.austal.com)

Marine News - Austal Commences JHSV Construction

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2009
  17. AegisFC

18. AegisFC

19. Salty Dog

20. AegisFC

No, LCS-1 has a traditional CIC and bridge, however the bridge can control all the major pieces of engineering equipment.