“A prototype of an ocean-going class destroyer will be built in 2016 for the country’s Navy,” Vysotsky said at the 5th International Maritime Defense Show, IMDS-2011, in St. Petersburg.
The admiral added there was a 90 percent probability that the warship would be equipped with a nuclear-powered engine.
President of Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation Roman Trotsenko said earlier on Thursday that his company would start designing a new-generation, nuclear-powered destroyer for the Russian Navy this fall.
He said the design phase will take up to two years.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:next gen nukler powered destroyer
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Ukranian Crisis
- Surface Warfare Training
- Indonesian Aero News
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Battle of the Tuetoberg Forest
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Scottish Independence