“A prototype of an ocean-going class destroyer will be built in 2016 for the country’s Navy,” Vysotsky said at the 5th International Maritime Defense Show, IMDS-2011, in St. Petersburg.
The admiral added there was a 90 percent probability that the warship would be equipped with a nuclear-powered engine.
President of Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation Roman Trotsenko said earlier on Thursday that his company would start designing a new-generation, nuclear-powered destroyer for the Russian Navy this fall.
He said the design phase will take up to two years.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:nucleaur destroyers, russian new-generation destroyer
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Where are the Russian weapons in Syria?
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Poland plans to purchase heli platform
- Naval Exercises
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- RMAF Future; need opinions
- [ List of "Active" Military Aircraft ] All Nations