Thus far, reports had said the Saudis wanted to purchase around 300 Leopard-2 tanks, Germany’s main battle tank which is also produced under licence in Spain.
With up to 800 tanks, the deal would be worth 10 billion euros ($12.6 billion), and one of the biggest-ever for the German defence industry, Bild am Sonntag reported.
While there is opposition to the deal in the Chancellery and the Foreign and Defence ministries, there was support for it within the Economy Ministry, it said.
A deal for a first tranche of 300 tanks is ready for signing and the Saudis want to the whole deal wrapped up by July 20, when the festival of Ramadan begins, the newspaper said.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Singapore Army Pictures
- Stealth Aircraft Operation
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Brazilian A-1 Modernization
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- F-35 - International Participation
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Movies with good Jet Air Combat?
- Role of rifle fire/heavier small arms/other weapons
- M16 vs AK-47?
- Should the 5.56 be replaced?
- Skunk Works unveil SR-72 concept