Thus far, reports had said the Saudis wanted to purchase around 300 Leopard-2 tanks, Germany’s main battle tank which is also produced under licence in Spain.
With up to 800 tanks, the deal would be worth 10 billion euros ($12.6 billion), and one of the biggest-ever for the German defence industry, Bild am Sonntag reported.
While there is opposition to the deal in the Chancellery and the Foreign and Defence ministries, there was support for it within the Economy Ministry, it said.
A deal for a first tranche of 300 tanks is ready for signing and the Saudis want to the whole deal wrapped up by July 20, when the festival of Ramadan begins, the newspaper said.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:australian leopard tank
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- RAAF Stand-off Missiles Fire and Forget?
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- US Navy News and updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- The Indonesian Army
- F-35 - International Participation
- Drones attacks by the US
- Ukranian Crisis
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Battlefield communications in high radiation environments
- Opinions on military and strategy games
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force