The XB-53 was a stillborn jet bomber program of Convair. Initially it was designated as XA-44 under the old "attack" category.
It featured elevators on the inboard wing and ailerons on the outboard. The wingtips also functioned as variable incidence control surfaces
The XB-53 had a range of 2000 miles and weight capacity of 60,000 lbs. It ran on three General Electric J35 engines that gave it a speed of 580 mph. It could carry up to 12,000 lbs. of bombs. Its wings would be forward swept at a 30 degree angle with an 8 degree dihedral. The wing, which also functioned as the horizontal stabilizer, was situated at the aft portion of the fuselage. Pitch and roll adjustments were made with wing mounted control surfaces. Its turbojet engines were concealed in the fuselage.
Funding of the project came from development funds initially allocated for the XB-46. The XA-44 was re-designated as XB-53 in 1948 when the