US Navy News and updates

Sandhi Yudha

US Navy Details Hypersonic Missile Plan for Zumwalt Destroyers, Virginia Submarines - Naval News
The USN has released details on a refit for the Zumwalt class, which includes replacing one or both of the 155mm(6in) Gun systems with 4 2209mm(87in) Missile tubes each capable of fitting 3 Hypersonic glide bodies and boosters. USS Zumwalt is due to begin her refit in late 2023.
2209 mm VLS-cells, that's huge. More than enough for anti-ship missiles.

|"The littoral combat ship Wichita suffered a problem in its propulsion plant last month as the ship was on its way home from deployment. But Navy officials say they do not think the mishap was due to the same combining gear issue that has hobbled other Freedom-class LCS in recent years."|

This class of frigate size patrolboats is not a complete failure, but it is also not the most successful class ever. The Wichita LCS-13 was commissioned in January 2019, less than four years ago.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
2209mm is the same diameter of the tubes from the Ohio-class SSBNs.
Every tube will cointain three smaller VLS tubes.

View attachment 49876

@SolarisKenzo Source required for image and for data please. It is a requirement of the rules.

Ngatimozart.
The Ohio class SSGNs use an insert with seven Tomahawk tubes each. The VPM (Virginia Payload Modules), also to be used in the Zumwalts, have six Tomahawk tubes or alternatively three hypersonic missile tubes each.

This led me to believe they were a smaller diameter than the SSBN tubes, although on reflection it may only be they are shorter in length. It would be interesting to see what the difference, if any, in length and diameter between the Ohio tubes, the common Columbia/Dreadnought tube and the VPM is.

Any difference in diameter may be driven by the hull diameter of an SSN verses an SSBN, or mat be due to treaty considerations, i.e. insufficient diameter to be converted to Trident.

The advent of the hypersonic missiles has me wondering if a future AUKUS class SSGN is a possibility, i.e. A hypersonic missile compartment fitted to a modified Dreadnaught.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The advent of the hypersonic missiles has me wondering if a future AUKUS class SSGN is a possibility, i.e. A hypersonic missile compartment fitted to a modified Dreadnaught.
A Dreadnaught derIved SSGN is a possibility especially if both the RN and RAN see merit for such a concept. Equally likely is a shortened Dreadnaught derivative as a future SSN.

Sandhi Yudha

USS Fallujah. That doesn't sound like a typical early U.S. sailing ships, or legacy names of earlier carriers from World War II. It sounds weird, almost like taken Hot Shots 3 or something. Although the battles were not really clean and glorious victories, the name seems to be chosen to commemorate the First and Second Battles of Fallujah, American-led offensives during the Iraq War.

The America Class LHD USS Fallujah LHA-9 is scheduled to be laid down this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

FormerDirtDart

USS Fallujah. That doesn't sound like a typical early U.S. sailing ships, or legacy names of earlier carriers from World War II. It sounds weird, almost like taken Hot Shots 3 or something. Although the battles were not really clean and glorious victories, the name seems to be chosen to commemorate the First and Second Battles of Fallujah, American-led offensives during the Iraq War.

The America Class LHD USS Fallujah LHA-9 is scheduled to be laid down this month.
You mean like USS Tripoli, which was named in honor of the Battle of Dema? Where a handful of Marines led several hundred mercenaries, who then left their Arab force abandoned and unpaid after the tactical victory brought about a diplomatic agreement.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article speculates on the expansion of nuclear power wrt the USN surface fleet. The driving force is the emergence of commercial small modular nuclear reactors, growing electrical demand on naval ships and fossil fuel concerns (environmental and reliability of supply). There are difficulties though. Vulnerable reactors, getting trained nuclear officers, and USN internal politics. This could happen if SMNR technology becomes a significant commercial success. If the PLAN were to go down this road, I suspect the USN would be more enthusiastic.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Xavier channel (Naval News) at SNA 2023. This video focus on Austal USA program. From new Coast Guard Cutters (OPC) which being build 11 of that, and new expeditionary hospital vessels based on their fast expeditionary twin hull designs.

This one Xavier with USN Director of Surface Warfare talking on USN DDG(X), DDG 51 Flight III, FFG 62, LCS, and USV. Basically current and future deployment plan on USN surface fleet assets.

FormerDirtDart

USS Pinckney (DDG 91) receiving an electronic warfare upgrade, which makes some substantial changes classic Arleigh Burke profile.
She looks like she's wearing some enormous earmuffs.

Images from the bottom tweet:
USS Pinckney with modification

USS Spruance without "earmuffs""

A year ago The Drive had an article about this modification, and a "lightweight" version being developed for smaller ships that can't accommodate these rather large hull projections

Sandhi Yudha

Boeing will end the McDonnell Douglas F/A-18E and F Super Hornet production line in 2025 and will not accept any more U.S. orders beyond the eight aircraft Congress added to the fiscal 2023 budget for the navy. These eight aircrafts will be the last Super Hornets delivered to the US.

With the St. Louis-based workforce and production facility freed up, Boeing said it will be able to increase production of the T-7A Red Hawk all-digital jet trainer, F-15EX Eagle IIs and 777X wing components for the U.S. Air Force and the MQ-25 Stingray unmanned tanker drone for the U.S. Navy.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting considering one of the reasons the F/A-18A/B was selected for the RAAF way back in 1982, was because of concerns that F-15 development and production was coming to an end and it would end up becoming an orphan model in the RAAF.

Ah the irony.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
An article promoting submarines as the dominant naval platform for the future. I think recent missile developments support this argument and unless effective directed energy weapons emerge subs are the best investment possible. A shame production can’t address this fast enough. The need for SSGNs is correct and it may be worthwhile converting some Columbia SSBNs to GNs, especially if the B-21 works out. Again, if directed energy weapon’s don’t arrive, reducing the CVN build by a couple of ships perhaps buys 3-5 SSGNs.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
An article promoting submarines as the dominant naval platform for the future. I think recent missile developments support this argument and unless effective directed energy weapons emerge subs are the best investment possible. A shame production can’t address this fast enough. The need for SSGNs is correct and it may be worthwhile converting some Columbia SSBNs to GNs, especially if the B-21 works out. Again, if directed energy weapon’s don’t arrive, reducing the CVN build by a couple of ships perhaps buys 3-5 SSGNs.

I’d suggest building more Columbia SSBN‘s as SSGNs than converting. With the New START Likely to be withdrawn by the middle of the decade, there is nothing stopping an increased fleet (budget not withstanding). Perhaps the potential exists for a modularised approach to allow mission specific payloads be it a nuclear patrol or conventional strike. That being said perhaps to answer my own ponderance they‘d be 7 Billion USD’s SSGNs, maybe not the wisest use of defence spending.

Last edited:

Bob53

Discussion on the RAN thread about AUKUS delivering several older Virginia to the RAN while waiting for new subs to be built in Australia. Australia possibly stumping up/ contributing to infrastructure to assist the USN get 3 boats delivered per year. Wondering which of the existing boats might be slated for transfer?

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Discussion on the RAN thread about AUKUS delivering several older Virginia to the RAN while waiting for new subs to be built in Australia. Australia possibly stumping up/ contributing to infrastructure to assist the USN get 3 boats delivered per year. Wondering which of the existing boats might be slated for transfer?
Slight suggestion, the Mods usually frown upon attempts to move conversation over from a locked thread to an open one. Especially as this falls under direct speculation of the yet unconfirmed strategy.
A potential alternative yet related conversation would be how the US could boost its ship production given the USN has 54 vessels under construction at the moment. Specifically 2 SSNs for delivery and a SSBN class underconstruction.

Last edited:

Tbone

ngatimozart is really becoming annoying.. m enjoying readying people’s thoughts and discussions on SSN.. people are generally excited by the outcome and want to immerse themselves in conversation with like minded people on this forum. To have the Australian away thread locked sounds like the power has gone to his head.
Lighten up I say!
ps… still think we are getting refuelled Los Angeles class subs till we build the ssnr… and I’m happy to say it again! X

@Tbone

You have been warned about this. I accept the situation is not helped by the press having flights of fantasy (the Idea the Australia would operate two classes of SSN each for a different country is exceptionally unlikely).

However, My gripe is not with that but the manner in which you approach the suspension of the thread and polluting this thread,

You are banned for three months as you have been warned repeatedly.

alexsa