T-90 in Comparison to Western Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

surpreme

I see it like this it all what a individual country wants or needs. The T-90 could be what some country need such as cost. Everybody don't have big money so they got to get what it can. With that did being said other find way to get the high price stuff. If you do invest in modernize your tank fleet and you can buy western or the T-90 do it right in your training and study the tactic of your military that you going to go against. One thing I remember the most in the US military is the training we did it mean alot. When we train we had other acting as the enemy using there tactics we learn from what just happen. I use to play sport practice means alots the ones who did the best practice makes it look so easy but it not, that how a good military do.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
And even then I don't think just because one operated a certain tank one can also be sure about it's absolute superiority compared to all the other tanks out there.

One can have an argument for or against certain design features, especially with the bigger difference between the Ts and western designs.

But trying to find enough advantages on a western design to mark it as "The Best™" of the lot is IMHO not possible.

The most modern versions of the Abrams, Leclerc, Challi 2, Leo II, Merkava IV (one could arguably add the K2 and the Types 90 and 10, too) all feature advantages which give them an edge in a certain area.

Weighting these advantages is difficult enough in a clean laboratory environment which in itself is far away from the individual threat matrix every country uses to base a good decision on.
If he's not even willing to consider that the M1 may not be the best procurement option, he certainly isn't about to be persuaded by the argument that he can't compare every other tank, because he doesn't even know every other tank.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting news Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan both signed contracts for T-90 tanks. Numbers and specific variants are unclear. There's no news from Kazakhstan or Tadjikistan yet. It will be interesting to see if either of those countries opts for the T-90MS, or if this will be more T-90S/A variants. This does mean that UVZ will be continuing to put out huge production volumes despite loss of state defense order for new tanks.

Âåñòíèê Ìîðäîâèè :: Ò-90 ïðèîáðåòåíû Òóðêìåíèåé è Àçåðáàéäæàíîì

EDIT: Or maybe not. It appears that Turkmenistan only ordered about 1 btln worth of tanks (so ~30). The contract with Azerbaijan hasn't been signed yet, but is about to be. Another contract however was signed in 2011, the customer country has not been disclosed.

EDIT2: Apparently the second contract is with Algeria, for an additional 120 or 150 or 180 tanks (different sources name different numbers).

Last edited:

Pendekar

let see. M1 Abrams weight about 65 tons give or take. T-90 is around 48 tons. Now from weight consideration alone, and we assume that both has the same type of armor, we can make a conclusion that M1 has thicker armor (hence the extra weight) which translated into better protection.

Now someone argue with me in youtube that T-90 has the same if not more protection then M1. they say it was lighter because they use a special composite materials that offer 10 times more protection then RHA at the same thickness, and it's lighter to boot. I would've believe them if i don't look at at the price tag. Such a materials will not come cheap. The T-90 price would've been twice that of M1. But T-90 is 4 times cheaper then M1.

If it's you guys, what conclusion you'll make from this?

STURM

Now someone argue with me in youtube that T-90 has the same if not more protection then M1. they say it was lighter because they use a special composite materials that offer 10 times more protection then RHA at the same thickness, and it's lighter to boot. I would've believe them if i don't look at at the price tag. Such a materials will not come cheap. The T-90 price would've been twice that of M1. But T-90 is 4 times cheaper then M1.

Will be interesting to see what replies you get from the others. I'm no armour expert but pretty sure the T-90 has a much thinner baseline armour than the M1. And the key difference is the T-90 relies on ERA for survival.

Questions I'm curious about are [apologies if these have been covered before] -

1. Is the baseline armour on the T-90 the same as the T-72?

2. Are the auto loaders on both MBTs the same?

3. Without ERA, wouldn't 25mm sabot and 30mm easily penetrate the rear and back of the turrets on both tanks?

4. Are gunners in MBTs that are fitted with modern FCSs still required to zero in their main guns like a infantryman would with his rifle?

Lcf

First of all, I've just registered so I'll just use this post to say: hello!

Anyway, recently I've read an article where current Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Russia and First Deputy Minister of Defence, general Nikolai Yegorovich Makarov said something like we have a paradox, we have enough money but there's no place where we can spend it!
Apparently, he's not too happy with T-90, didn't went into details, just said it still requires more work so it can compete with American and German tanks.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
let see. M1 Abrams weight about 65 tons give or take. T-90 is around 48 tons. Now from weight consideration alone, and we assume that both has the same type of armor, we can make a conclusion that M1 has thicker armor (hence the extra weight) which translated into better protection.

A physically smaller tank would require less total armor weight to protect it. Note how much lower the silhouette of a T-90 or T-72 is compared to an M-60 or M-1. The 3 man vs 4 man crew also contributes to this.

No. It's supposed to be far more advanced.

STURM

When i first knew about T-90, i half suspected that it's a reserve stock T-72 with it's electronics replaced and an ERA tiles slapped onto it's hull.
No, it's a much improved version of the T-72. Together with the T-84, it underwent trials in Malaysia.

This video has some nice internal shots of a T-72. Not sure what country it is though.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm0YsjGZKKs&feature=related"]Inside the T-72B tank - YouTube[/nomedia]

Some Iranian footage of MBTs, including T-72s and Chieftans.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkd7fM155KQ&feature=related"]IRIA T-72 Tanks in Dezful(2nd Armoured Devision) - YouTube[/nomedia]

Methos

The armour of the M1 Abrams is not really thicker, but it is distributed in another way. The T-90 has a shorter turret and is smaller. This means that you will need less armour for reaching the same thickness at all spots - but the Russians didn't want to have the same thickness as the M1 Abrams, because they design their tanks following another doctrine. I.e. on the T-72, T-80, T-84 and the T-90 the turret front is having the maximum thickness (horizontally) and the sides are sloped backwards - this way the sides can only been hit if the enemy is attacking from angles greater than 30°. On Western tanks the turret side is flat, which means that there the armour needs to have enough thickness to withstand enemy fire in the typical scenarios (i.e. attacks from +/- 30°). This way the Abrams has an increased armour volume, while the effective protection in tank-vs-tank combat is nearly the same. In assymmertical warfare the T-90 is having troubles, because there a 360° degree coverage is required.

Here were some nice links to images, but my post count is too low :/

The M1 has only 1/2 - 1/4 of the turret armour volume (~mass) located at the front of the turret, while the T-90 has nearly 100% of the armour mass at the front. On Leopard 2, Leclerc and Challenger 1/2, the rear part of the side armour is thinner (these tanks don't store nearly all their rounds at one place and therefore don't need to protect it that hard) is thinner armoured, because a penetration of armour there will not lead to causalities and the tank can still fight some time (roughly 1/2 of the armour volume/mass is located in the front armour).

Protection can come very cheap, but figures like "10 times" are far beyond realistic. We actually know what armour was used by the T-72B and the T-90 is just an T-72B with improved armour (even we don't know how exactly the armour was imporved).
Cheap protection against shaped charges can be achieved by layering steel and rubber with airgaps. Against kinetic energy such armour will be pretty comparable with RHA (wightwise, thicknesswise it will be worse), maybe ~10% better because spaced armour will increase stress and the deformation/bending of the penetrator will occur at the start of armour penetration. Against HEAT rounds layered rubber/steel will have a mass efficiency of about 2 (this has been claimed by the CIA atleast) - by changing the slope of the different steel/rubber-layers mass efficiency can be increased up to 4 (1 kg NERA = 4 kg RHAe).
The T-72B actually used a combination of steel and rubber, but slightly different. The special armour cavity was filled with sloped plates consisting of 22 mm RHA, 6 mm rubber and 3 mm of a hard metal alloy (some people claim it was an Aluminium alloy). At the edges of the plates 45 mm steel elements were located to create the empty space inbetween two plates. Due to the angling 4-5 NERA plates (in some cases even 6 plates) had to be penetrated. This armour was also quite effective against APFSDS.

Will be interesting to see what replies you get from the others. I'm no armour expert but pretty sure the T-90 has a much thinner baseline armour than the M1. And the key difference is the T-90 relies on ERA for survival.
The T-90's armour is not thinner than the armour of the U.S. M1A2, German Leopard 2 - 2A4 or the armour of the Britsh Challenger 1 and 2 tanks. According to Russians the turret armour has a physical thickness of between 900 and 950 mm, but some Western sources say that the maximum armour thickness is closer to 800 mm. Ironically pro-U.S. sources claim that the front armour of the M1A2 is 960 mm thick, Wikipedia says it is 880 mm thick and some pro-Russian sources attribute the M1A2 with a maximum armour thickness of only 820 mm.
The only tank we actually know something about is the Leopard 2.The frontal armour of the Leopard 2 - 2A4 is having a maximum thickness of about 840 mm (80 cm to welding seam + backplate). The Challengers seem to have the thinnest armour (based on drawings and pictures at least).

It depends on the T-72. The "baseline" T-90 was originally known as T-72 pattern 1990 and was rumored/believed by the West to be called T-72U, which was itself a modification of the T-72 pattern 1989, which was called T-72BM by the West. The armour of the T-72B is claimed to be 800 to 815 mm thick (about 50% is special armour, rest is cast steel), but the T-72BM is claimed to have improved armour - it could be that the armour thickness was increased or that the special armour inside the turret cavity was replaced.

2. Are the auto loaders on both MBTs the same?
Depending on which version. Early T-90s use the same autoloader as the T-72s, but late T-90s (T-90A/M) use an improved autoloader which can handle longer rounds (up to 740 mm according to the Russians).

3. Without ERA, wouldn't 25mm sabot and 30mm easily penetrate the rear and back of the turrets on both tanks?
Well, depends on the exact scenario. 25 mm APFSDS can penetrate about 60 mm RHA at 1,500 - 2,000 m range (depending on the exact round). Rear armour of the T-90 turret is between 50 and 80 mm (depending on version and source) - penetration is possible, but only in best case, when there is nothing stored behind the turret. Rear hull can be perforated by 25 mm APFSDS on all tanks (in 2003 an M1 was knocked out by friendl-fire of a Bradley). 30 mm APFSDS can penetrate the turret hull and side armour depending on impact-angle and range (i.e. for penetrating the turret side the IFV armed with a 30 x 173 mm autocannon has to be pretty close and attacking from behind).

Methos

IMO the T-90 is rather comparable in most points with modern Western tanks, the main disadvantages lie in the FCS (problems solved with the addition of French TI), tank gun (too low maximum chamber pressure for operating high pressure APFSDS at high temperatures) and the ammunition (no extra compartment, problems with the two-part rounds and proper length. In the end modern 3BM-46 Svinets and 3BM-48 Lekalo offer performance only similar to 120 mm DM 43, M829A1, M338 (probably), but real high performers like M829A2, 120 mm DM 53 and M829A3 are not available for Russian tanks. OTOH the capability to fire a number of GLATGM decreases the need for APFSDS on long range engagement.

Last edited:

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
.... According to Russians the turret armour has a physical thickness of between 900 and 950 mm...
Methos - you wouldn't be an american would you? 950mm is near as dammit 3 feet thick. Not even the thickest armour on WWII battleships was that thick. I'd be looking to scale those figures back by a factor of 10.

The 188 tonne Maus (WWII german experimental tank) only had 460mm on the turret front 250mm on the turret front, plus 240mm of the mantlet - (don't blame me for the math - that's what Wiki states). [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_VIII_Maus"]Panzer VIII Maus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

SASWanabe

he is reffering to the RHA equivalent. not the physical thickness as he states.

the 900mm equivalent means the armour is as effective as that amount of RHA but in reality i would be very amazed if its physical thickness was more than 100mm.

Methos

Methos - you wouldn't be an american would you? 950mm is near as dammit 3 feet thick. Not even the thickest armour on WWII battleships was that thick. I'd be looking to scale those figures back by a factor of 10.

The 188 tonne Maus (WWII german experimental tank) only had 460mm on the turret front 250mm on the turret front, plus 240mm of the mantlet - (don't blame me for the math - that's what Wiki states).]

Well, if I could post pictures/links ATM (post count still too low), then I would show you that modern tank armour is between 70 and 100 cm thick typically (at the turret front, mantlet is about 40 cm and hull about 60 cm thick). The weight of this armour is typically far less, because they use special lightweight materials. E.g. the early T-64 used a steel turret filled with aluminium (aluminium weighs only 34% of the steel per thickness), the T-64A/B used ceramic balls/tiles in the turret, while the glacis of the early Soviet main battle tanks consisted of 100 mm steel + 105 mm GRP sloped at 68.5° (which means that the LOS thickness is 550 - 560 mm).

As far as real steel thickness is concerened: The armour of the Chieftain is between 38 - 40 cm cast steel, while the turret of the early T-72 (with homogenous cast steel turret) is between 35 - 47.5 cm thick (according to the declassified CIA file "The Soviet T-72 Tank: Performance").

Modern composite armour is more protection than steel at the same weight, but this often requires a greater thickness.

he is reffering to the RHA equivalent. not the physical thickness as he states.
No, I am refering to physical thickness. 900+ mm RHAe is IMO for most tanks overestimated.
If you take a look at composite armour materials, you will see that most of them are in some way less efficient than steel. DU and tungsten offer (according to the TankNet) 130 - 140 % of the KE protection of steel per thickness, while protection against shaped charges is depending on the density law (which means that protection is roughly 2 - 3 times higher per thickness). The problem with DU/tungsten is that the density is very high (~19 g/cm³ instead of 7.85 g/cm³), which reduces it's effectivness.
High hardened steel and semi hardened steel are some of the very few materials, which offer higher protection than RHA at the same thickness and weight. Ceramics, plastic, glass, NERA (due to the required deformation area) is often/allways less effective per thickness than RHA vs KE, but per weight more efficient.

Methos

Ok, now I can post some images:

Leopard 2

Oldest photo of a Leopard 2 turret without inserts (note that the roof covers the backplate):
http://s14.directupload.net/images/120314/839v7q35.jpg

Leopard 2 being assembled in Greece: (note backplate is about 4 cm)
http://s7.directupload.net/images/120314/cvrwdzar.jpg
http://s7.directupload.net/images/120314/4ss49wzb.jpg

Leopard 2 mantlet armour:
http://s1.directupload.net/images/120314/n5tvix9h.png (~42 cm + large block of steel of the gun mount)

Leopard 2 turret armour:
http://s1.directupload.net/images/120314/p6ozupha.jpg (80 cm + ~ 4 cm backplate which is covered by the roof)

Overall Leopard 2 will look like this (hull is incomplete):
http://s7.directupload.net/images/120314/m43fdd7w.jpg

T-72B (and also T-72BM/T-72U/T-90 with minor changes)

Turret armour cavity:
http://btvt.narod.ru/4/armor.files/image009.jpg (backplate is said to be 90 mm which is obviously sloped at ~30°)

T-72B special armour:
http://btvt.narod.ru/4/armor.files/image008.jpg (similar armour is probably being used in T-90)

With some colors:
http://s14.directupload.net/images/120314/dpj4zg49.png

T-72 armour layout:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6546/t72blos.jpg

T-90

T-90A on a parade:
http://andrey84.users.photofile.ru/photo/andrey84/115910418/143174975.jpg (the armour boxes are visible because they are not covered by ERA)

T-90 armour layout:
http://s003.radikal.ru/i204/1202/cf/052b5c9d8438.jpg (actual thickness differs by whom you ask)

M1 Abrams

M1 Abrams being overhauled (armour "boxes" can be seen by the welding seams):
http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/9476/wieam1a1m1a23.jpg

peschernik

Conclusion.

About аrmor:
T-90 has better protection than tanks of NATO. (The advantage of the protection of the T-90 received by the small size and the use of reactive armor and active protection such as a Shtora in addition to the massive combined armor of the tank.)

About firepower:
Ammunition of the T-90 is adapted more to fight against field fortifications, infantry and light-armored vehicles than against heavily armored vehicles - I mean heavy tanks. (Against heavily armored vehicles Russian APFSDS not so effective as NATO’s modern APFSDS.)
Ammunition NATO’s tanks are more adapted to destruction of the vehicles including heavy-armored vehicles than to destroy field fortifications, and infantry.

This conclusion about firepower is supported by the fact that such famous NATO’s tank like Abrams have no high-explosive rounds; biggest part ammunition of the tanks is APFSDS rounds. But biggest part ammunition of the Russian’s tanks is high-explosive rounds:

Typical ammunition of the T-90 includes 42 rounds of four types:
- High-explosive rounds: 18 units.
- Guided missiles: 6 units.,
- HEAT-FS rounds: 6 units.,
- APFSDS rounds: 12 units
T-80UK and a part of T-90 MBTs are equipped with Ainet system that allows to electronically fuse HE-FRAG rounds to explode at predetermined moment of flight (over heads of enemy infantry).

Typical ammunition of the Abrams includes 40 rounds of two types:
APFSDS rounds and HEAT-FS rounds.

Last edited:

Methos

About аrmor:
T-90 has better protection than tanks of NATO. (The advantage of the protection of the T-90 received by the small size and the use of reactive armor and active protection such as a Shtora in addition to the massive combined armor of the tank.)
I don't think that it has any significant advantages in terms of protection when compared to NATO MBTs (but these also don't have any significant advantages over the T-90 in regards to protection IMO). The small size is more or less irrelevant. Modern APFSDS have an accuracy below 0.2 mil derivation (i.e. after traveling 1,000 m the APFSDS will hit with a very high probability in a circle with a diameter of 0.2 m whose center is the aimpoint, after four kilometers the circle will be 4 x 0.2 m in diameter). Hitting is therefore quite possible even thought the tank is small, which leaves the question how it looks with recognizing/detecing a T-90... given the way how thermal sights work I doubt that the T-90 will be harder to detect than a M1A2 Abrams/Leopard 2A6/Leclerc.
Shtora is a nice thing, but actually does not fit on the T-90. At the places where the two IR-jammers are located is no ERA mounted (this is not the case for the T-80s which mount Shtora), so the center is far less protected than the rest of the turret. Shtora has a low degree of coverage (not 360° like other systems, e.g. MUSS) and does not work against more modern type of ATGMs (thus it will be replaced/not fielded on the next Russian tank).
The usefullness of ERA is discussable - Kontakt-5 has proven to be capable against older types of APFSDS (German 120 mm DM33, U.S. M829A1), but more modern APFSDS might be superior against Kontakt-5. E.g. Rheinmetall claims that the most common 120 mm APFSDS (120 mm DM43, a co-development of GIAT and Rheinmetall which is also being licence produced by General Dynamics for the M1 Abrams export countries as KEW-A1) offers "good" performance against ERA and the following APFSDS (120 mm DM53) has been specifically designed and optimized to penetrate heavy double-reactive ERA (i.e. the type of ERA to which Kontakt-5 belongs). Similar claims have been made by the U.S. (regarding their M829A2 and M829A3 APFSDS) and other countries (i.e. Israel and South Korea). So ERA might not protect so good.
My main question when I read your statement about ERA being an advantage was "Why?". Why should ERA be an advantage? ERA has a low multi-hit capability, low coverage (50-60% typically) and not the best performance. The Germans adopted some sort of heavy NERA on their Leopard 2A5 and 2A6, while the U.S. increased the performance of the composite armour by using new types of heavy metal armour (e.g. DU armour of three different generations ATM).

About firepower:
Ammunition of the T-90 is adapted more to fight against field fortifications, infantry and light-armored vehicles than against heavily armored vehicles - I mean heavy tanks. (Against heavily armored vehicles Russian APFSDS not so effective as NATO’s modern APFSDS.)
Ammunition NATO’s tanks are more adapted to destruction of the vehicles including heavy-armored vehicles than to destroy field fortifications, and infantry.
Again I have to disagree. The T-90 shares it ammunition with the other Soviet-legacy tanks. It is true that the Russians have a specialized HE round and did have a specialized HE round during the Cold War, while NATO just switched to HE (and some countries are still switching). But the main reason was not that they wanted to deal better with fortifications (unless they have optimized their tank doctrine to invade Switzerland ;)). The Soviet (and until today also Russian) ammuntion doctrine is affected by two facts: Their autoloaders and the money.
Money is the reason why the Soviet tanks (and currently also the Russian tanks) carry HE rounds. It is not that they wanted to deal better with infantry or lightly armed vehicles (why should they care about these guys if they have/had allways a numerical advantage?), the problem lies in the HEAT round. HEAT rounds are pretty costly, HE-Frag rounds are very cheap. The fact that HEAT rounds cost so much more than other rounds is the main reason why a Soviet tank allways carried less than 10 HEAT rounds (regardless of the type of tank). If the Soviets would have had the money for using HEAT-Frag (like the Germans or Americans) as sole secondary round, they probably would have built them.
The reason why the Russian APFSDS are inferior than the NATO rounds is the autoloader. Early Soviet APFSDS were simply made of steel (and small cores of WC) because of the lower price, but penetrated still more armour than contemporary 105 mm tungsten/DU APFSDS. When the NATO started fielding 120 mm APFSDS the Soviets still could perform on a similar level until the end of the Cold War, but when NATO increased the length of the penetrators (and the pressure) to defeat heavy ERA the Russians could not keep up... because of the autoloader. The autoloaders can't handle the length required to achieve the same performance as current NATO ammo.

This conclusion about firepower is supported by the fact that such famous NATO’s tank like Abrams have no high-explosive rounds; biggest part ammunition of the tanks is APFSDS rounds. But biggest part ammunition of the Russian’s tanks is high-explosive rounds:

Typical ammunition of the T-90 includes 42 rounds of four types:
- High-explosive rounds: 18 units.
- Guided missiles: 6 units.,
- HEAT-FS rounds: 6 units.,
- APFSDS rounds: 12 units
T-80UK and a part of T-90 MBTs are equipped with Ainet system that allows to electronically fuse HE-FRAG rounds to explode at predetermined moment of flight (over heads of enemy infantry).

Typical ammunition of the Abrams includes 40 rounds of two types:
APFSDS rounds and HEAT-FS rounds.
Actually the NATO has more types of anti-material tank rounds than Russia. The Abrams and the Leopard 2 initially used HEAT-Frag rounds (which still performed as good as ~100-105 mm HE), but later new types of ammo were developed. The Americans have canister rounds (which are similar to tank-sized shotgun shells) and the M908 HE round. The American marines have bought German HE-TF (air-burst HE rounds, similar to Ainet), which have entered/will enter service with Germany too. General Dynamics (the American company producing the M1 Abrams) has developed another type of HE ammo, while Rheinmetall (producer of the German HE-TF round used by the U.S. marines) also plans a cheaper non-programmable HE round. Another U.S. round which is optimized for fighting infantry and fortifications is the AMP, which is designed to replace a number of different rounds at once (i.e. M830/M830A1, M1128 and M908). Rheinmetall has also developed the PELE rounds, which are optimized for fighting fortifications, light/medium armoured vehicles and infantry in buildings.
Also some NATO members (Spain, Sweden and Italy afaik) have decided to buy Israeli ammo, which also includes HE rounds. This last quote from your conclusion is simply wrong. It might have been right back in 1980-1990, but Afghanistan and the Iraq (both Iraqi Freedom and Desert Storm) have lead to the creation of various new NATO rounds.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Good post.

Without wanting to be picky but Sweden has it's own HE round.

In addition the US also has the MPAT in service (interesting when dealing with helicopters) as well as the HE-OR version of it which has a hardened penetrating tip in order deal with bunkers and obstacles.

One should also not forget the tube launched Israeli Lahat ATGM which is compatible with 120mm smoothbores but isn't very widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.