T-90 in Comparison to Western Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
IIRC the TUSK kits also include a mine protection kit for the belly armor as well as stuff like decoupled seats for the drivers.

Eeshaan

Hey Feanor, I was just wondering, if you know, when tank trials were held in 2003 between the T-90 & Arjun MKI, did the T-90 have a complete, or custom Air Conditioning system designed specifically for the Indian environment ?

This is a question from the Arjun tank thread BTW...

dragonfire

Hey Feanor, I was just wondering, if you know, when tank trials were held in 2003 between the T-90 & Arjun MKI, did the T-90 have a complete, or custom Air Conditioning system designed specifically for the Indian environment ?

As per Broadsword, In 2008 the MoD had approached international vendors to air condition the Indian T-90S Bhishma considering that the sights were not working in the desert environment.

Which means in 2003 the tanks werent air conditioned, also i dont think a side-by-side comparative trials were held between the Arjun and T-90 till 2010, it was only the test trials of the Arjun MBT were being conducted in the late 90s and in the last decade. In 2008 and 2009 the DRDO labs started clamoring for comparative trials which then resulted in the Summer Trials of 2010 where Arjun showed vast improvement.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think dragonfire is right, and they did not, but to be honest I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find out.

On an unrelated note, we now have 3 Central Asian countries negotiating for T-90MS purchases, Tadjikistan, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan. If they all end up coming through (and Turkmenistan and Tadjikistan seem very likely) then we will see a decent production run for the new variant.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Despite earlier announcements that the T-90 will no longer be purchased, it seems that deliveries of T-90A tanks to South MD are continuing. The 136th MRB apparently received a full btln set of them this fall.

danger7

Hey, all.

On russian website I've seen too many sayings like "Abrams' piece of crap - T-90 the best". So I was just wondering, is T-90 that great? Because I have a hard time believing it. I'm not saying it's not a good tank - it is. But is it, like the russkies say, best of all?

TIA.
In response to anyone who writes on the t-90, it is a signifigant upgrade from the t-72 series tank. I have served on all variants of the M1 (M1, M1IP, M1E1, M1A1, M1A1HA, M1A1HC, M1A2 SEP v2) and I promise that this is without question the GREATEST main battle tank in the world, bar none, not even the Leo 2A6 or the Challenger II come close. This is speaking on actual combat experience, If anyone disagrees, you probably don't really know what you are talking about. My experience: Tank driver, loader, gunner, commander, platoon sergeant, first sergeant, operations sergeant, sergeant major. 21 yrs of active service.

Volod

Photos of the T-90SA delivered to Turkmenistan. Currently Turkmenistan is negotiating about purchasing the new T-90MS. It's interesting that they considered a T-72 upgrade, and sent a trial party to Ukraine for upgrades. However after they were received back, the decision was made in favor of the T-90.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8884/view100418tatar.jpg
you're wrong - it's two different projects

at the foto you can see two T-90 (1st and 2-d) and two T-72UMG - Urainian modernization, machines are practically equal in its capabilities, besides the cost, of course ..))

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
In response to anyone who writes on the t-90, it is a signifigant upgrade from the t-72 series tank. I have served on all variants of the M1 (M1, M1IP, M1E1, M1A1, M1A1HA, M1A1HC, M1A2 SEP v2) and I promise that this is without question the GREATEST main battle tank in the world, bar none, not even the Leo 2A6 or the Challenger II come close. This is speaking on actual combat experience, If anyone disagrees, you probably don't really know what you are talking about. My experience: Tank driver, loader, gunner, commander, platoon sergeant, first sergeant, operations sergeant, sergeant major. 21 yrs of active service.
Do you have some evidence to back up these claims? I ask the question with respect, but at DT we generally expect people who express claims of military service to provide some proof, so they can be given a blue handle and added to the Defence Professionals group. Thanks mate.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
you're wrong - it's two different projects

at the foto you can see two T-90 (1st and 2-d) and two T-72UMG - Urainian modernization, machines are practically equal in its capabilities, besides the cost, of course ..))
What exactly am I wrong on? The T-90SA and the T-72UMG were both bought in small trial parties. After comparing the two the decision was made in favor of the T-90, with the variant being negotiated for right now. They may end up with SA, or MS.

Out of curiosity, what goes into the UMG package? I doubt they replace the armor on the hull, meaning at the very least the UMG has inferior protection levels.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just on a clarification note, you do understand equipment exists within a context, right? An Abrams and a T-90 don't duke it out one on one in a big empty field. So that having been said, and any context lacking in your claim, you do realize you're not making much sense right? For example a country that has operated MBTs with 3-man crews (T-72s) and is looking for a new tank, but has a requirement for 1 000 MBTs, would need to massively increase numbers of tankers to meet this requirement, if they were to switch to the M1. This alone might be an insurmountable obstacle to an M1 being the "best" tank for that country.

There are also other things to consider. Egypt's price tag for M1A1 kits assembled in Egypt has been iirc close to 10 million USD (1.3 bln contract, when you include all the components, for 125 tanks). This is 4 times the price of a new T-90SA. And these aren't even new build kits, these are rebuilds, from storage. With those kinds of prices, is it really the best tank for a country to acquire? Or is it just the best tank to be sitting in on the battlefield? Because those are two very different things.

danger7

Just on a clarification note, you do understand equipment exists within a context, right? An Abrams and a T-90 don't duke it out one on one in a big empty field. So that having been said, and any context lacking in your claim, you do realize you're not making much sense right? For example a country that has operated MBTs with 3-man crews (T-72s) and is looking for a new tank, but has a requirement for 1 000 MBTs, would need to massively increase numbers of tankers to meet this requirement, if they were to switch to the M1. This alone might be an insurmountable obstacle to an M1 being the "best" tank for that country.

There are also other things to consider. Egypt's price tag for M1A1 kits assembled in Egypt has been iirc close to 10 million USD (1.3 bln contract, when you include all the components, for 125 tanks). This is 4 times the price of a new T-90SA. And these aren't even new build kits, these are rebuilds, from storage. With those kinds of prices, is it really the best tank for a country to acquire? Or is it just the best tank to be sitting in on the battlefield? Because those are two very different things.
Not really sure on how I'm not making sense. I am not speaking of thoughts, speaking on knowledge. I have fought that tank in different terrain against different enemies and I STILL say it is the best tank out! The kit M1A1 tanks that Egypt has are M1 series clones aka garbage. Regardless of any factors you put in the equation (firepower, mobility, armor) it is the top tank. Sometimes you need to do more than read books to get a good understanding.

Volod

What exactly am I wrong on? The T-90SA and the T-72UMG were both bought in small trial parties. After comparing the two the decision was made in favor of the T-90, with the variant being negotiated for right now. They may end up with SA, or MS.
upgrade T-72 continues and is not affiliated with the decision to purchase the T-90
All fleet of T-72 will be upgraded to UMG

Out of curiosity, what goes into the UMG package? I doubt they replace the armor on the hull, meaning at the very least the UMG has inferior protection levels.
KMDB - Protection of modernized T-72 main battle tanks

UMG - it's AG without engine replacing

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have fought that tank in different terrain against different enemies and I STILL say it is the best tank out!
As indicated by Bonza, any claims of prior service require testing.

Please provide copies of relevant doco and service history to any Mod (Red/Dark Red Tag) so that it can be validated by the relevant DefProfs.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
upgrade T-72 continues and is not affiliated with the decision to purchase the T-90
All fleet of T-72 will be upgraded to UMG
A link would be nice. A link proving that a contract has been signed, or that pre-contract negotiations are underway. Also the entire fleet? So they plan to expand their tank force with the T-90 purchase? Or are some of the T-72s getting replaced with T-90?

EDIT: Your link did not mention this, does the UMG variant come with TIs standard? And if so which ones? Also does it including a panoramic sight upgrade?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really sure on how I'm not making sense. I am not speaking of thoughts, speaking on knowledge. I have fought that tank in different terrain against different enemies and I STILL say it is the best tank out! The kit M1A1 tanks that Egypt has are M1 series clones aka garbage. Regardless of any factors you put in the equation (firepower, mobility, armor) it is the top tank. Sometimes you need to do more than read books to get a good understanding.
Are you just ignoring everything I wrote? Or do you not understand what I'm trying to say?

Volod

A link would be nice. A link proving that a contract has been signed, or that pre-contract negotiations are underway. Also the entire fleet? So they plan to expand their tank force with the T-90 purchase? Or are some of the T-72s getting replaced with T-90?

EDIT: Your link did not mention this, does the UMG variant come with TIs standard? And if so which ones? Also does it including a panoramic sight upgrade?
As a rool,contracts with foreign customers is a very taboo subject in our country.
First, make, and then show and try to use a smaller PR in terms of customer service. Turkmen contract is one example. The data in the public domain only appeared after the parade has been demonstrated BMP-1U, BTR-80 with RCWS Grom (Thunder) and T-72UMG. But the Kiev armored repair plant continues to modernize the next party of the Turkmenistan tanks.

As for T-90, Turkmenistan bought only 10 tanks at present for expanding tank fleet

Ukrainian TI - sights are made on Photopribor plant Products
I don't know, TI is set to T-72UMG Turkmenistan or not.
But I know that Photopribor does not do anything without money. And at the same time Turkmnistan contract for its site appeared a product Skat-M “SKAT-M†Thermal Tank Sighting Complex

LloydTasiD

I understand what you're trying to say I think. It is not necessarily the best tank for a country to buy. M1s are much more expensive and require more personnel. So a country's best choice may be to purchase the T-90 in order to expand their armor fleet. But what he's saying is that vehicle to vehicle, the Abrams is a better tank. I don't think he's arguing it's always better for a country to invest in M1s. If he is, then there is a whole lot more to consider than just performance.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I understand what you're trying to say I think. It is not necessarily the best tank for a country to buy. M1s are much more expensive and require more personnel. So a country's best choice may be to purchase the T-90 in order to expand their armor fleet. But what he's saying is that vehicle to vehicle, the Abrams is a better tank. I don't think he's arguing it's always better for a country to invest in M1s. If he is, then there is a whole lot more to consider than just performance.
That's the distinction I tried to point out to him. I think I made it fairly obvious when I said: "With those kinds of prices, is it really the best tank for a country to acquire? Or is it just the best tank to be sitting in on the battlefield? Because those are two very different things."

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And even then I don't think just because one operated a certain tank one can also be sure about it's absolute superiority compared to all the other tanks out there.

One can have an argument for or against certain design features, especially with the bigger difference between the Ts and western designs.

But trying to find enough advantages on a western design to mark it as "The Best™" of the lot is IMHO not possible.

The most modern versions of the Abrams, Leclerc, Challi 2, Leo II, Merkava IV (one could arguably add the K2 and the Types 90 and 10, too) all feature advantages which give them an edge in a certain area.

Weighting these advantages is difficult enough in a clean laboratory environment which in itself is far away from the individual threat matrix every country uses to base a good decision on.

Status
Not open for further replies.