T-90 in Comparison to Western Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

STURM

Feanor,

Would appreciate if you would share your thoughts regarding these excerpts I have posted. Would you agree, as this writer is firmly convinced about, that Soviet philopshy in regards to the design ot MBTs was based on the ''hit avoidance'' principle? Sorry for the lenghty excerpts, as I felt that in order to give a true picture behind the writer analysis, it was needed to include them.

[1] ''the overall Soviet approach to MBT design in the post-World War II era was found to be flawed on two major counts: namely, the gamble on not being hit rather than on surviving hits, and the refusal to perceive survivability of the tank crew as a quite distinct issue from survivability of the vehicle, with the former having priority over the latter. ''

[2] ''When confronted with such ‘hard facts’ along with the Army’s criticisms about the lack of even a ‘decent’ hunter-killer fire-control system (when compared to the likes on board the AMX-40), members of the Soviet delegation were clearly red-faced and a depressed lot, and it took several bottles of vodka during and after dinner-time to come out with the truth: according to the MBT’s designers, the performance characteristics of all weapons produced in the USSR were dictated purely by the warfighting doctrine of the country’s armed forces. ''

[3] ''The T-90S was procured simply because the Arjun Mk1 wasn’t available when it should have been. What the fielding of the T-90AM proves is the following:
1) The Russians have FINALLY admitted to the fact that an ammo bustle located in the turret is better than the carousel-mounted bustle sitting on the floor of the hull--an admittance about which the Soviets and Russians were in denial since early 1991. Of course, the Ukrainians too had admitted and recognised the reality, but did so much earlier than the Russians.
2) Since the export market for high-end MBTs is extremely small and limited, the Russians have no choice but to implement and incorporate the MBT survivability features which are insisted upon by its principal MBT export customers, i.e. India.
3) Despite this belated upgrade, Russia’s chances of selling such MBTs to India in large numbers in future are slim. At most, less than 500 T-90AMs would be procured by India, while the rest of the T-90S MBTs will be upgraded to T-90AM standard.
4) Between the T-90AM and Arjun Mk2, the latter would still reign supreme on the battlefield since it can fire both HESH and FSAPDS rounds.
5) If the R & D momentum is maintained or even accelerated for the Arjun Mk3 (which is the FMBT) then the Arjun Mk3 will be a generation ahead of the T-90AM in terms of integrated vectronics suite, mobility, firepower and reliability/serviceability.''

[4] ''The reality on Soviet/Russian MBTs being developed around the philosophy of hit avoidance was never a figment of my personal imagination, but was conveyed in such words by none other than Soviet MBT designers to the Indian Army evaluation team back in 1980s. Ask any Indian Army personnel type-certified on T-72s and T-90s and they will corroborate it. Folks like Vassily Fafanov et all may argue about this endlessly, but it still doesn’t change the reality about what was then the official explanation from the Soviets in response to serious queries emanating from a potential export customer,.i.e. India, during the T-72’s evaluation process. And I had also explained in my earlier thread what exactly was the operational art concerning the massed employment of MBTs of Soviet MBTs. I as a customer would give a damn about weight restrictions applicable to another country and would never try to even justify the retention of such restrictions if it interferes with MBT survivability aspects. It would be totally illogical to do so, maybe except for the Soviets. As for Soviet MBTs having the same volume-to-armour ratio with their Western counterparts, try telling that to export customers like the Indian Army, which were never even allowed to be exposed to ERA-equipped T-72s throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. In addition, do try comparing the volume-to-armour ratio of IDF-Army M-60A3s equipped with CMS-developed ERA tiles versus the Syrian T-72Ms as they clashed in the Bekaa Valley in mid-1982 and the discrepancy will increase even further. Furthermore, as I had mentioned in my previous thread, the frontal armour of a standard Indian T-72M was routinely penetrated by 105mm FSAPDS rounds fired by an Indian upgunned T-55. Regarding blow-up panels and their existence on either the Arjun Mk1 or Arjun Mk2, all I can say is seeing is believing, if not at an operational base, then at least during a DEFEXPO expo and one will find convincing answers. Regarding fair versus unfair fights, way back in 1992 when I was attending a firing demonstration in Sweden of the BOFORS BILL ATGW, in front of the entire assembled audience (which was allowed to do a hands-on inspection of the wreckage after the firing demo), a BILL not only went pass the ERA tiles mounted on a ex-Warsaw Pact T-80UD MBT, but also penetrated the frontal armour of the MBT. The issue of a fair fight or unfair fight simply does not arise. OEMs making MBTs must simply build better MBTs instead of providing excuses like the MBTs were employed in a way that they were not meant to—that’s the only logical and obvious conclusion. Lastly, Merkava MBTs destroyed? And that too beyond usage or retrieval? Where’s the proof? Damaged or disabled maybe, but destroyed beyond retrieval by RPGs and Metis-M and Kornet-E ATGMs? Where’s the proof? None of the links provided by you provide any kind of conclusive evidence. Bottomline: Videos uploaded on YouTube never provide the kind of evidence required for definitive conclusions. Whereas first-hand in-depth analysis of an incident,plus interacting with the operators and OEMs of weapons do produce conclusive results.''

[5]''Yet, despite all this, India’s Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs of the day decreed that the T-72M and T-721982 (powered by a Model V-84MS four-stroke 12-cylinder multi-fuel engine developing 840hp and offering a power-to-weight ratio of 18.8 hp/tone) would be the Army’s future MBTs, and a procurement contract for 2,418 T-72s was subsequently inked. Interestingly, while the first off-the-shelf shipments of T-72Ms began arriving by ship in Mumbai in mid-1982, in Lebanon the 105mm APFSDS rounds fired by Israeli Merkava Mk1 MBTs with 105mm rifled-bore guns routinely pierced the Syrian T-72M’s front glacis, went straight through the MBT and exited through the engine compartment, leaving a turretless hulk behind. Five years later, The Indian Army’s worst fears were realised when got a first-hand demonstration of the T-72M’s acute vulnerability in October 1987, after LTTE guerrillas exploded improvised explosive devices underneath two T-72Ms deployed with the Army’s 65 Armoured Regiment for Operation Pawan during the battle for Jaffna, which resulted in armour penetration and the ensuing catastrophic detonation of the MBT’s ammunition reserve (this being stored alongside the carousel autoloader on the turret’s floor), resulting in the turrets being blown off.''

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
[1] ''the overall Soviet approach to MBT design in the post-World War II era was found to be flawed on two major counts: namely, the gamble on not being hit rather than on surviving hits, and the refusal to perceive survivability of the tank crew as a quite distinct issue from survivability of the vehicle, with the former having priority over the latter. ''
To be honest we would have to have interesting inside information to know whether it was a failure to distinguish the two, or whther they did distinguish and simply made the conscious design choices they did for doctrinal reasons.

[2] ''When confronted with such ‘hard facts’ along with the Army’s criticisms about the lack of even a ‘decent’ hunter-killer fire-control system (when compared to the likes on board the AMX-40), members of the Soviet delegation were clearly red-faced and a depressed lot, and it took several bottles of vodka during and after dinner-time to come out with the truth: according to the MBT’s designers, the performance characteristics of all weapons produced in the USSR were dictated purely by the warfighting doctrine of the country’s armed forces. ''
Of course. Except this is true of almost every country that designs it's own military technology. Doctrine determines requirements for tanks, not the other way around. In fact that is the way it should be. The warfighting doctrine is the only thing that should dictate the performance characteristics of weapon systems.

[3] ''The T-90S was procured simply because the Arjun Mk1 wasn’t available when it should have been.

The Arjun is available now, and yet the Indians are purchasing tiny quantities, while continuing large scale T-90 purchases, including a secondary order for another 310 tanks. I think the T-90 was procured because the Arjun was seen as a hopeless project, and the powerful pro-Russian lobby had little difficulty in getting a T-72 descendent as the new MBT.

What the fielding of the T-90AM proves is the following:
Hasn't been fielded. As of right now it's not going to be, though there are rumors that they're negotiating with UVZ. The first customers for the T-90MS may end up being Kazakhstan and Tadjikistan.

1) The Russians have FINALLY admitted to the fact that an ammo bustle located in the turret is better than the carousel-mounted bustle sitting on the floor of the hull--an admittance about which the Soviets and Russians were in denial since early 1991. Of course, the Ukrainians too had admitted and recognised the reality, but did so much earlier than the Russians.
Different country, different doctrine, different requirements. It's better for an MBT that Russia intends to use. Is it better for an MBT that will cross the Fulda Gap and wash it's treads in the Atlantic?

2) Since the export market for high-end MBTs is extremely small and limited, the Russians have no choice but to implement and incorporate the MBT survivability features which are insisted upon by its principal MBT export customers, i.e. India.
Except that the T-90S is affordable for the low end market, at 2.5 mln a piece. That's first of all. Second of all the MBT market, and the defense market in general is dominated by political ties. India didn't purchase the T-90S because it's an excellent tank. That was secondary. There was no competition, no comparative trials with other nations MBTs. They simply showed up in Russia in 1999, looked through perspective MBT projects, and picked one. As long as Russia can maintain that it's tanks are on par with world standards, and yet relatively inexpensive, they will have a market niche.

3) Despite this belated upgrade, Russia’s chances of selling such MBTs to India in large numbers in future are slim. At most, less than 500 T-90AMs would be procured by India, while the rest of the T-90S MBTs will be upgraded to T-90AM standard.
A 500 tank order isn't small. There are negotiations going on with Kazakhstan and Tadjikistan for deliveries of the T-90MS. If those orders amount to another 500 units, then the T-90AM will see a total production run of 1000 units. That would make it a huge commercial success compared to any Western MBT.

4) Between the T-90AM and Arjun Mk2, the latter would still reign supreme on the battlefield since it can fire both HESH and FSAPDS rounds.
5) If the R & D momentum is maintained or even accelerated for the Arjun Mk3 (which is the FMBT) then the Arjun Mk3 will be a generation ahead of the T-90AM in terms of integrated vectronics suite, mobility, firepower and reliability/serviceability.''
You're assuming that Russian and Indian tank design is on par. That's a big assumption.

[4] ''The reality on Soviet/Russian MBTs being developed around the philosophy of hit avoidance was never a figment of my personal imagination, but was conveyed in such words by none other than Soviet MBT designers to the Indian Army evaluation team back in 1980s. Ask any Indian Army personnel type-certified on T-72s and T-90s and they will corroborate it. Folks like Vassily Fafanov et all may argue about this endlessly, but it still doesn’t change the reality about what was then the official explanation from the Soviets in response to serious queries emanating from a potential export customer,.i.e. India, during the T-72’s evaluation process. And I had also explained in my earlier thread what exactly was the operational art concerning the massed employment of MBTs of Soviet MBTs. I as a customer would give a damn about weight restrictions applicable to another country and would never try to even justify the retention of such restrictions if it interferes with MBT survivability aspects. It would be totally illogical to do so, maybe except for the Soviets. As for Soviet MBTs having the same volume-to-armour ratio with their Western counterparts, try telling that to export customers like the Indian Army, which were never even allowed to be exposed to ERA-equipped T-72s throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. In addition, do try comparing the volume-to-armour ratio of IDF-Army M-60A3s equipped with CMS-developed ERA tiles versus the Syrian T-72Ms as they clashed in the Bekaa Valley in mid-1982 and the discrepancy will increase even further. Furthermore, as I had mentioned in my previous thread, the frontal armour of a standard Indian T-72M was routinely penetrated by 105mm FSAPDS rounds fired by an Indian upgunned T-55. Regarding blow-up panels and their existence on either the Arjun Mk1 or Arjun Mk2, all I can say is seeing is believing, if not at an operational base, then at least during a DEFEXPO expo and one will find convincing answers. Regarding fair versus unfair fights, way back in 1992 when I was attending a firing demonstration in Sweden of the BOFORS BILL ATGW, in front of the entire assembled audience (which was allowed to do a hands-on inspection of the wreckage after the firing demo), a BILL not only went pass the ERA tiles mounted on a ex-Warsaw Pact T-80UD MBT, but also penetrated the frontal armour of the MBT. The issue of a fair fight or unfair fight simply does not arise. OEMs making MBTs must simply build better MBTs instead of providing excuses like the MBTs were employed in a way that they were not meant to—that’s the only logical and obvious conclusion. Lastly, Merkava MBTs destroyed? And that too beyond usage or retrieval? Where’s the proof? Damaged or disabled maybe, but destroyed beyond retrieval by RPGs and Metis-M and Kornet-E ATGMs? Where’s the proof? None of the links provided by you provide any kind of conclusive evidence. Bottomline: Videos uploaded on YouTube never provide the kind of evidence required for definitive conclusions. Whereas first-hand in-depth analysis of an incident,plus interacting with the operators and OEMs of weapons do produce conclusive results.''
This seems like a rant in response to an ongoing discussion. What exactly do you want my to respond to in there?

[5]''Yet, despite all this, India’s Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs of the day decreed that the T-72M and T-721982 (powered by a Model V-84MS four-stroke 12-cylinder multi-fuel engine developing 840hp and offering a power-to-weight ratio of 18.8 hp/tone) would be the Army’s future MBTs, and a procurement contract for 2,418 T-72s was subsequently inked. Interestingly, while the first off-the-shelf shipments of T-72Ms began arriving by ship in Mumbai in mid-1982, in Lebanon the 105mm APFSDS rounds fired by Israeli Merkava Mk1 MBTs with 105mm rifled-bore guns routinely pierced the Syrian T-72M’s front glacis, went straight through the MBT and exited through the engine compartment, leaving a turretless hulk behind. Five years later, The Indian Army’s worst fears were realised when got a first-hand demonstration of the T-72M’s acute vulnerability in October 1987, after LTTE guerrillas exploded improvised explosive devices underneath two T-72Ms deployed with the Army’s 65 Armoured Regiment for Operation Pawan during the battle for Jaffna, which resulted in armour penetration and the ensuing catastrophic detonation of the MBT’s ammunition reserve (this being stored alongside the carousel autoloader on the turret’s floor), resulting in the turrets being blown off.''
How does vulnerability to IEDs demonstrate the weakness of the front glacis?

STURM

Thank you. It's always interesting to hear your thoughts and opinions on Russian armour.

To be honest we would have to have interesting inside information to know whether it was a failure to distinguish the two, or whther they did distinguish and simply made the conscious design choices they did for doctrinal reasons.
Agreed. I would think, and I'm no expert on the subject, that it was more of a doctrinal issue, rather than a policy of 'hit avoidance'' or maybe a combination of both. Unless we really hear it from the actual designers there is no way of proving it. The fact that the Russians have finally included a bustle mounted auto loader could be simply because thats what their current or potential customers might want and not because they have ''FINALLY admitted to the fact that an ammo bustle located in the turret is better than the carousel-mounted bustle sitting on the floor of the hull--an admittance about which the Soviets and Russians were in denial since early 1991'' as the writer maintains..

This seems like a rant in response to an ongoing discussion. What exactly do you want my to respond to in there?
I included it nerely because I was suprised to read his claims that a BILL actually penetrated a T-80UD fitted with ERA frontally and as you known much more on the subject than I do, I what wondering what you would think of this.

How does vulnerability to IEDs demonstrate the weakness of the front glacis?
I think what he meant was that the IED which detonated below the T-72 resulted in a massive detonation because of the placement of main gun's ammo, to feed the auto-loader.

Something else I'm very curious about, which if any, was the first Russian MBT to be fitted with a 360 degree panaromic sight, enabling a full hunter capability?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed. I would think, and I'm no expert on the subject, that it was more of a doctrinal issue, rather than a policy of 'hit avoidance'' or maybe a combination of both. Unless we really hear it from the actual designers there is no way of proving it. The fact that the Russians have finally included a bustle mounted auto loader could be simply because thats what their current or potential customers might want and not because they have ''FINALLY admitted to the fact that an ammo bustle located in the turret is better than the carousel-mounted bustle sitting on the floor of the hull--an admittance about which the Soviets and Russians were in denial since early 1991'' as the writer maintains..
As it stands the T-90AM is a development by UVZ in response to MoD criticism of the T-90A. This does indicate that they attempted to fix things the GenHQ saw as wrong with the tank, but as it stands it was not an MoD sponsored program, and it's unclear whether the MoD will buy it. The officially touted solution to the ammo detonation and associated crew survivability issues, was the unmanned turrets, with no single tank interior but instead armored compartments inside the tank, in which a crew-member would sit, in the hull.

I included it nerely because I was suprised to read his claims that a BILL actually penetrated a T-80UD fitted with ERA frontally and as you known much more on the subject than I do, I what wondering what you would think of this.
I don't know what a BILL is.

I think what he meant was that the IED which detonated below the T-72 resulted in a massive detonation because of the placement of main gun's ammo, to feed the auto-loader.

Something else I'm very curious about, which if any, was the first Russian MBT to be fitted with a 360 degree panaromic sight, enabling a full hunter capability?
You asked this before. Kato answered it. Post number 1 is your question. Post number 4 is his answer.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/army-security-forces/few-mbt-related-questions-10826/

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
First one has to fully agree with Feanor in that Sovjet designs followed their doctrine and did so quite nicely.

As for the actual worth of these designs to other customer...this is a totally different topic.

The lower sillouette of russian MBTs is often used as an advantage in discussions but IMHO it has little connection to the reality on the battlefield. Modern FCS enable gunners to realibly engage much smaller targets than T series tanks while being on the move with the target being also on the move or being partially in cover.
What is IMO much more important is the vertical elevation which dictates the ability to shoot even while driving across rough terrain as well as what kind of reverse slope fighting position can be used. The relatively small elevation of T series tanks is a problem.

While I think that seperated turret ready ammo is a must have these days I also think that the vulnerability of T series tanks due to unsecure ammo storage is a little bit overrated. Many western tanks (Leo II, Leclerc, Challi II, Merkava I-IV), apart from the Abrams, also carry alot of their ammo in a relatively unprotected place. A penetration there would result in an equally catastrophic kill.
The problem of the Ts is the autoloader caroussel which makes turret penetrations less funny...

As for BILL penetrating the frontal armor. BILL is a top attack weapon which will shoot a bolt down into the tank while flying over it. A BILL is not going to attack the frontal armor of a MBT.

IMHO the price advantage if the T-90S (and even the T-90AM) makes it a relatively good choice. If one is able to get well trained crews one can field 2-3 times more MBTs compared to western competitors.

Apart from the political aspect the deficiencies of the T-90 series (and it's predecessors) may very well be compensated by the price although they aren't much cheaper to run but to buyy

Just to bring a 1000 tanks production into perspective. That's roughly 25% more MBTs than what Germany, France and the UK is going to field in the future. COMBINED!!!

STURM

As for BILL penetrating the frontal armor. BILL is a top attack weapon which will shoot a bolt down into the tank while flying over it. A BILL is not going to attack the frontal armor of a MBT.
Do newer top-attack missiles like Spike and Javelin have the ability to also launch straight type frontal atacks if required, if for instance a target was in a barn or surrounded by trees?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yes but they work different to BILL. Spike and Javelin are fired in an ballistic arc when they are in top attack mode. BILL on the other hand is fired straight at the target with the missile flying low over the target in a straight line. When the missile is over the target a bolt is shot through the weak top armor.

Corio

First of all hello to all you guys, been lurking around the forums a while and would like to thank all of you for some nice reading. Thank you Feanor and Waylander for the pictures as well.

While browsing through youtube i found this - an interview regarding modernization of the T-90S and thought I should post it here. The interview is a three part one and is translated into English (subtitles). The interview provides some information on the upgrades, the ammo storage box outside of the turret, hunter killer and panoramic view and so on. Since i do not have the 10 posts required to provide the links, i will post the title of the youtube movie - "REA 2011: T-90MS MBT! Part 1/3" for the first one, and subsequently part 2 and 3 can be easily found. Hope I'm not braking any rules by doing so or this will not be considered as bypassing the 10 posts for link rule :p:.

Berkut

So does the new T90 AM compare well to the T84 series? Or is it fear to say that the AM is just a package upgrade and not a significant upgrade like the [Challenger 1 - Challenger 2 series was] What I am trying to ask is can we now say that the T90 AM is in the same League as Leopard 2 A7 / M1 A2 SEP / T 84 Oplot Challenger 2 CLIP etc???

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently Uganda purchase and has already received 31 T-90A tanks, and a single KPM 1I37E maintenance unit for them. This really makes me wonder what other sales and deliveries of the T-90 are underway, or have been completed, under the radar. I know Turkmenia bought 10 of them for evaluation purposes. Could more have been delivered? Did the Cyprus deal end up being for T-90A, or (as reported) T-80Us? Could Venezuela have acquired some, in addition to their T-72B1s?

bmpd - Первое упоминание в печати о контракте на поÑтавку танков Т-90С в Уганду

marcellogo

My two pennies...

The small dimension of T-64/T-72/T-80 was not originated only by the idea of not being hit but in even that less the space that has to be protected, the more efficent the added armor weight is.
Such an idea worked very well as T-64 or T-72 was better protected and armed than Chieftains while weighting less than LEO1 or AMX30.
Let's also consider that the most heavy russian tank actually in service is still almost 6 ton lighter than the initial M1 tank and we can have an idea how russian were so stubborn in trying to update their own concept instead to come back to square one and design a western style tank.

Yet it seems that now with T-90AM those concept was definitely abandoned: external dimension of the turret has been incremented and in doing so the equation space/armor weight has been changed.

LloydTasiD

While people have been talking of this v/s that for a long time let me ask you if a Round from 125mm gun from T-72 or T-90 hits M1A2 from a distance of say 2-3Km wont the Target be damaged ?(If NO then I rest my argument else all this talk is useless) same holds true if an Abrams or Leo fires on to a T-90.Only and the most decisive factor that favours the latest Leo's is the L55 main gun for it outranges the other tanks by a margin.
of course it would be damaged. but would it be critically damaged? and unless I'm mistaken (which is very possible) the Abrams has ERA, whereas the T-90 doesn't.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yes you are...;)
The Ts feature ERA as standard add-on armor since decades whereas the Abrams only carries ERA when equipped with the TUSK I/II kit against urban threats.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't the TUSK mod for the Abrams have reactive armor on it?
Right. A kit designed for urban combat. Not standard to the M1. All T-series tanks however, starting with the T-72B and T-80B have been equipped with ERA as standard. The T-90A carries K-5, the T-90MS carries Relikt ERA.

Kalasag

Yes along the sides.

M1 Abrams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though keep in mind that TUSK is for urban combat. One of the best things and which shouldn't have been nessesary sense it SHOULD have been a obvious design must have was a phone so the soldiers could communicate to the tankers while outside.
What about the belly armor? I haven't read anything at all about the bottom armor, which I think should be the most vulnerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.