Russia tests new missiles

Wall83

The Bulava just failed a test launch. http://newsru.com/russia/23dec2008/bulavacrash.html

The first and second stages worked fine, but the third stage malfunctioned, and the missile self-liquidated. 3-4 more launches are planned next year, and final acceptance is planned for next year.

Well this makes for a total of 5 completely failed launches, 4 sort-of succesful, and 1 successful launch. Even if the remaineder of the launches (3-4) are succesful, the missile obviously isn't ready for service. They're either going to accept a poorly tested missile into service, or have to readjust the schedule again.
As I said before, why the heck start serial production of a missile that clearly dont work. If it was my choice il would arm the Boreis with the New R-29RMU Sineva SLBM. It can carry 10 warheads insted of only 6 with the Bulava. It also have better range.

SkolZkiy

Sineva is heavier and larger than Bulava.
As for example there is a serial produce started of F-35 but it is still in progress. Every system requires some tests - and this is first time for the MIH to design NAVY ICBM so I think everything will be ok

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is some text about making the Sineva fit the pr955 Borie submarines. Could be operational by 2010 if they would start the work now.

http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20081114/118312605.html
Ilya Kramnik regularly writes articles to the tune of ditch Bulava, put in Sineva. Whether or not he is right, I don't know. However I seriously doubt it will happen. All indications so far seem to point to the continuation of the Bulava program.

Wall83

Ilya Kramnik regularly writes articles to the tune of ditch Bulava, put in Sineva. Whether or not he is right, I don't know. However I seriously doubt it will happen. All indications so far seem to point to the continuation of the Bulava program.
Probably true. However think about all the money and time they would have saved if they gone with the Sineva after the Bark missile failed back in the 90s. It would surley been ready by 2002/2003.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sineva isn't a new missile, it's the R-29R modernized to the R-29RM. So yes it would have probably been finished. The subs for it are still not finished today, so it would not have made a very big difference.

Wall83

The Sineva isn't a new missile, it's the R-29R modernized to the R-29RM. So yes it would have probably been finished. The subs for it are still not finished today, so it would not have made a very big difference.
Yeah....but the only reason the Borei was delaid was becouse of the redesign of the missile complex in the late 1990s, to make it fit the new Bulava missiles. If they insted would have taken the complex for the already working R-29R missile it would have saved them many years and the submarine would have been launched much sooner. And the missile would also have been ready.

*Then the submarine missile complex would ofcourse look just as ugly as on the Delta-IV subs but hey, you cant have everything now can you ;)

SkolZkiy

The Sub isn't a produce of Carlo Lagerfeld it is a war machine. About Sineva - it is old missile and that's enough to retire them. the problem is that we all have no exact info about what's new in BULAVA comparing to SINEVA. This info is top-secret and I doubt we even know much about SINEVA except it's characteristicks.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah....but the only reason the Borei was delaid was becouse of the redesign of the missile complex in the late 1990s, to make it fit the new Bulava missiles. If they insted would have taken the complex for the already working R-29R missile it would have saved them many years and the submarine would have been launched much sooner. And the missile would also have been ready.

*Then the submarine missile complex would ofcourse look just as ugly as on the Delta-IV subs but hey, you cant have everything now can you ;)
I think the Borei was redesigned in the 90's because of the failure of the Bark, not because it was originally meant for the R-29R. The R-29R was never intended for the Boreis.

SkolZkiy

Feanor Bark wasn't a mistake - the problem was only that most of parts of Bark and testing systems were placed in Ukraine and that's the main reason of aborting this program.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes the point I was making was that it seemed to me like Wall83 was under the impression that the Borei's were designed for the Sineva originally, and then have to be modified for the Bulava, when they were really designed for the Bark originally, and had to be modified for the Bulava.

Wall83

Yes the point I was making was that it seemed to me like Wall83 was under the impression that the Borei's were designed for the Sineva originally, and then have to be modified for the Bulava, when they were really designed for the Bark originally, and had to be modified for the Bulava.
That wasnt what I said. Borei was delayed becouse of the bark missile failing and a redesign of the Bories missile complex was nessesary to make the new Bulava missile fit the sub. I now very well that the R-29 missile was made for the Delta submarines. However if they would have picked the Sineva missile insted of the Bulava directley after the Bark failure the missile would have been ready much sooner.
I am sure that the Bulava is more advanced then the Sineva, but atleast it works.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again the limiting factor in terms of time would have been the readyness of the submarines, the first of which has yet to enter service. If they can manage to squeeze in a few additional tests, get maybe 6-7 in next year, and iron out the problems, we can very well expect the submarine and the missile to enter service at the same time.

SkolZkiy

I think Bulava will fly normally. just constructors need some experience and I think next missile will be much more successful.

yasin_khan

Russia Orders 70 Nuclear Missiles by 2011

The Russian military will commission more than 70 strategic nuclear missiles in the next three years, Interfax news agency quoted the deputy head of the military-industrial committee as saying Monday.
"More than 70 strategic missiles will be bought and delivered to troops in the next three years, more than 30 short-range Iskander missiles and a large number of booster rockets and aircraft," said Vladislav Putilin, whose department is in charge of weapons industries.
He added that the military will also acquire 48 combat jets, six spy drones, more than 60 military helicopters, 14 navy vessels and nearly 300 tanks.
The arms-procurement order for 2009-2011 will cost nearly four trillion rubles (100 billion euros, $140 billion), he said.
The announcement comes after last week's announcement that Russia's weapons arsenal is set to be bolstered by the arrival of new missiles with a range of 10,000 kilometers (6,200 miles) on December 24.
Russia's military is seeking to phase in newer weapons to replace Soviet-era war horses like the Stiletto and shake up the country's armed forces to make them more dynamic.
Meanwhile last week a Russian general said Moscow is ready to abandon plans for a wholesale renewal of its nuclear missile arsenal if the United States stops deployment of a controversial missile shield.
Moscow describes U.S. plans - spearheaded by outgoing U.S. President George W.
Bush - to deploy an anti-missile radar facility in the Czech Republic and interceptor missiles in Poland as a threat to its national security.
However the United States insists its missile shield is not directed against Russia and is instead meant to protect against "rogue states" like Iran.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=3874814&c=EUR&s=TOP

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yasin khan you're once again posting news articles without any of your own commentary. You have been told repeatedly that this is against the rules.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Topols aren't the only thing being produced. In 2007 Sineva's actually made up the majority of the missiles produced that year. With RS-24 production starting up, if Sineva production is kept at the 11 a year, that was done in 2007, it won't take much to reach the goal. However to put it in perspective, they are not increasing the size of the Russian arsenal. They are simply replacing older missiles. The Russian strategic arsenal is actually set to shrink slightly over this time period.

Wall83

Topols aren't the only thing being produced. In 2007 Sineva's actually made up the majority of the missiles produced that year. With RS-24 production starting up, if Sineva production is kept at the 11 a year, that was done in 2007, it won't take much to reach the goal. However to put it in perspective, they are not increasing the size of the Russian arsenal. They are simply replacing older missiles. The Russian strategic arsenal is actually set to shrink slightly over this time period.
Hm didnt think about the SLBM. And if they ever get the Bulava ready it will add some numbers. But then again, if they will commissed 3 Boreis by 2011 theirs missiles alone will add up to about 45. If you then add the new Sinevas it wont leave much room for any more landbased ICBM.