Russia tests new missiles

SkolZkiy

I think that SLBM are not included in this 70 because RVSN includes only landbased part of nuclear triada. these 70 missiles would be RS-24 and RS-12M (Topol-M)

Wall83

I think that SLBM are not included in this 70 because RVSN includes only landbased part of nuclear triada. these 70 missiles would be RS-24 and RS-12M (Topol-M)
Then we are back to the 100% more missiles per year to reach the goal by 2011. Strange, it always talk about the russians missiles getting to old and needs to be replaced. Never any words about the US missiles. The Minuteman must be pretty old now, even with several upgrades and new warheads.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't say that they're RVSN missiles. Just strategic missiles. That means they could very well imply SLBMs. Also I suspect that they won't be able to produce enough Bulava's to outfit the 3 Borei's. I'm not even sure where they will produce them. The iirc Krasnoyarsk plant is busy with Sineva production for modernized Deltas. I suspect that Bulava production will barely be enough to outfit 1, maybe 2 Borei's. Then lets consider that the YD only has 10 missile shafts, not 15.

That would put us at maybe, 25 Bulavas (after all new production takes time to get started), add in maybe 30 Topol's/RS-24, and maybe another set of Sineva's for a modernized Delta, and we'll have a more or less accurate picture. Maybe I'm even over-optimistic about Bulava production rates.

nevidimka

The sineva is an old missile, a liquid fueled 1 at that. When I read about Bulava, it is said that this missile will be able to be launched from a submerged position. That tells me that older SLBM's like the Sineva needs to be launched from the surface? putting the SSBN at an enormous risk b4 releasing its SLBM's. The Bulava is a solid fueled and a modern missile, it is very important for the new sub fleet.

And with all these failures, I suspect that the problem is not only due to the institute not experienced in SLBM's, but perhaps this missile has new technologies designed to defeat US ABM, an at such is problematic. Probably a 3rd stage being a maneuverable stage, having a failure? Its something they are not telling the press about.

This missile is shorter ranged than the sineva at just 8000km compared to the 10000 km Sineva?, at such means the subs needs to be closer for launch, so the missile needs to be survive US ABM defences?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
My mistake. 12 shafts, that's right. Another thing that I have a strong suspicion about is that the other subs will end up delayed, thus making the question of subs and missiles coming in out of tune, being irrelevant. Military planners in Russia may already know this, though it hasn't been said publicly, and planned the 70 BMs accordingly.

EDIT: I've found conflicting sources on the number of shafts. So lets leave that with a question mark for now.

Wall83

The sineva is an old missile, a liquid fueled 1 at that. When I read about Bulava, it is said that this missile will be able to be launched from a submerged position. That tells me that older SLBM's like the Sineva needs to be launched from the surface? putting the SSBN at an enormous risk b4 releasing its SLBM's. The Bulava is a solid fueled and a modern missile, it is very important for the new sub fleet.
What I know the cabability to launch SLBM submerged is nothing new. I think I read that Delta III submarines can do that and probably old Yankees aswell. The big differens between the Bulava and older russian/soviet missiles is that it carrys decoys and is defended against any missile defence system just like the Topol-M (SS-27).

SkolZkiy

About number of shafts - I gave exact info, it is approved by officials.
About delaying of other subs - may be, there is nothing unusual in that =)

Wall83

Maybe you can find the answer from this pic?
http://pilot.strizhi.info/2007/05/04/3373/
Looks like twelve hatches to me.

The submarimes after the Y.D is supose to be longer to be able to carry four more missiles, so if its 170 meters now does that meen that it will be longer then the Typhoon class with 16 launch tubes? (175 m)

Wall83

Typhoon class has 20 shafts. YD and other Boreis are smaller then Typhoon
The Typhoon has 20 shafts and is 175 meters long. The YD is 170 meters long, only 5 meters shorter but 8 shafts less...that wierd. Offcource in the beginning it was to have carried 20 Bark missiles.

SkolZkiy

YD was at first produced for Bark - this missile was huge size, so there was 12 of them but after the change of project to Bulava changed the number of missiles which would be possible to insert into sub.

Wall83

YD was at first produced for Bark - this missile was huge size, so there was 12 of them but after the change of project to Bulava changed the number of missiles which would be possible to insert into sub.
I dont think you got that right. The Borei submarine was first designed to carry 20 bark missiles, and they were to be much smaller then the Bulava.
Then after the redesign back in 1998 they could only fit 12 Bulavas in the first 955 Borei sub, the YD, becouse of the size.
And the statement från russian sources is that the submarines after the YD will carry 16 Bulava missiles. And to do that they will make them longer.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dont think you got that right. The Borei submarine was first designed to carry 20 bark missiles, and they were to be much smaller then the Bulava.
Then after the redesign back in 1998 they could only fit 12 Bulavas in the first 955 Borei sub, the YD, becouse of the size.
And the statement från russian sources is that the submarines after the YD will carry 16 Bulava missiles. And to do that they will make them longer.
Do you have a source by any chance?

dragonfire

some more inputs

The Borei class SSBN was intended to carry SS-N-28 Bark missiles, however the same was abandoned in favor of the Bulava-30, the submarine needed to be redesigned to accommodate the new missile. The SSBNs were designed by Rubin design Bureau and built by Northern Machinebuilding Enterprise (Sevmash) in Severodvinsk. Because of several test launches failing with the Bulava missile some experts have suggest that the Borei submarine could instead be armed with R-29RMU2 Sineva missiles. The Sineva is already in active duty on the Delta IV class submarine. The borei class initially slated to carry 20 SS-N-28 is now intended to carry 16 Bulava SLBM (its a heavier missile at 45 Tons). As of Dec08 the Yury Dolgorukiy (only borei class sub completed) has not been armed with the Bulava missiles and as such the sub is not yet operational and is underway for sea trials, however th YD will only have 12 Launchers)

Info majorly from Wiki

SkolZkiy

as I know Bulava is 37 tonns and Bark was something like 45-50 tonns. And constructors say that Bulava is little due to Bark

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Iirc 10 tests so far. 5 failed completely. 4 failed partially. The only completely successful test came earlier this year. I'll check my numbers again if you want.