Russia tests new missiles

yasin_khan

RS-24 / SS-X-29?

The RS-24 is a new-generation intercontinental ballistic missile, which is equipped with a multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warhead. The RS-24 ICBM, which will replace the older SS-18 and SS-19 missiles by 2050, is expected to greatly strengthen the Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) strike capability, as well as that of its allies until the mid-21st century. The RS-24 missile will be deployed both in silos and on mobile platforms and together with the Topol-M single-warhead ICBM will constitute the core of Russia's SMF in the future.
On 22 October 2008 Col. Gen. Nikolai Solovtsov, Russia's Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) commander, said the new-generation RS-24 multiple-warhead missile system will enter service with the SMF in 2009n said on Wednesday. "We have carried out a series of successful ground and flight tests of the RS-24 missile. The new ICBM system will be put in service in 2009," he said. Solovtsov said the new system would "strengthen Russia's nuclear deterrence," including its capability to penetrate missile defense shields, and will serve to counter elements of a U.S. missile defense system deployed in Central Europe.
The RS-24 was first tested on May 29, 2007 after a secret military R&D project, and then again on December 25, 2007. On 26 November 2008 Russia successfully test launched a new-generation intercontinental ballistic missile bearing multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads. "All the warheads hit the designated areas at the Kura testing grounds on the Kamchatka peninsula. All the tasks in the test have been accomplished," a spokesman for the Strategic Missile Forces (SMF) press service said. The RS-24 missile was launched at 4:20 p.m. Moscow time (13:20 GMT) from the Plesetsk space center in northwest Russia. The new test was aimed at obtaining data confirming the missile's technical characteristics and its readiness to enter service with the SMF.

macman

Is there any projects to upgrade P-700 Granit missiles?

This is one of the most powerful missiles in Russian stocks, in use by the Kirov's & Oscar's - around 600km range, mach 4, 750kg warhead, sophisticated attack - but were introduced in the 80's.

There's been a lot of advancements in guidance, ECM countermeasures, etc. since then, as well as in reducing radar signatures.

Has there been work already done on them, or is there a program planned/in operation?

yasin_khan

Russia's armed forces will be equipped with new nuclear-capable missiles by 2020 that can overcome defensive measures like the controversial U.S. missile shield.By 2015-2020 the Russian strategic rocket forces will have new complete missile systems with improved combat characteristics.

yasin_khan

They will be capable of carrying out any tasks, including in conditions where an enemy uses anti-missile defense measures.
Russia is working to upgrade its Soviet-era forces and has repeatedly tested new missiles in recent months amid the controversy over the missile shield.
It is introducing new missiles into its existing arsenal like the Stiletto, the Voevoda and the Topol.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't double and triple post. Use the edit button. And don't repost snippets of news articles without your own commentary. You've been warned about this before.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have two of my comments after the news report.
I read Russian news frequently (daily) and I've read multiple articles dealing exactly with what you're talking about. Your two comments that followed are almost word for word quotes from various articles on the matter. Possibly even from the same article (I don't remember off the top of my head).

SkolZkiy

I've read on Lenta.ru that SS-18 lifetime will be increased to 30 years and Russia will create a new rocket of the same class - HEAVY missile. If this is true than it's great.I think that right now SS-18 is one of the arguments for US not to do foolish things.

yasin_khan

I've read on Lenta.ru that SS-18 lifetime will be increased to 30 years and Russia will create a new rocket of the same class - HEAVY missile. If this is true than it's great.I think that right now SS-18 is one of the arguments for US not to do foolish things.
SS-18 is very old missile and was inducted 1967.SS-18I,II and III are rolled out and now only SS-18IV is in service.SS-18 is not very accurate missile thats way only the forth missile is in inventry and Russians will role out these missiles in two or three years completly with Topol series.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
SS-18 is very old missile and was inducted 1967.SS-18I,II and III are rolled out and now only SS-18IV is in service.SS-18 is not very accurate missile thats way only the forth missile is in inventry and Russians will role out these missiles in two or three years completly with Topol series.
Skolzkiy is actually correct. RS-20 (NATO SS-20 Satan) has indeed been prolonged to a maximum life of 30 years, and it has been announced that a new missile of comparable throw weight is being designed to enter service around 2020.

SkolZkiy

This ICBM carry MIRV with 10 500kt nukes. 500 meters i think it is enough for such nukes - these ICBM are developed to detroy BIG INDUSTRIAL centers so they don't need to attack ICBM starting points. And more than this if there is a monoblock nuke on such ICBM it has 24 Mt power. It is a good weapon. And I think we need ICBMs of this class.

yasin_khan

Skolzkiy is actually correct. RS-20 (NATO SS-20 Satan) has indeed been prolonged to a maximum life of 30 years, and it has been announced that a new missile of comparable throw weight is being designed to enter service around 2020.
He was talking about SS-18 and SS-20 is totally different one first tested in 80s.

yasin_khan

Russian missile regiment to go on duty with Topol M Dec.24

A regular missile regiment, armed with the Topol-M (SS-27 Stalin) ICBMs, will go on combat duty in the Ivanovo Region on December 24, the Russian Strategic Missile Forces said Friday.
"A regular missile regiment, armed with the latest Topol-M mobile missile systems, having no analogs in the world, will enter combat duty with the Teikovo missile formation," a SMF press release said.
The first two Topol-M mobile missile battalions, equipped with six mobile launch systems, have already been put on combat duty with the 54th Strategic Missile Division near the town of Teikovo, about 150 miles (240 km) northeast of Moscow.
At present, Russia deploys Topol-M ballistic missiles as the mainstay of its land-based component of the nuclear triad. As of 2008, Russia's SMF operated 48 silo-based and six mobile Topol-M missile systems.
The missile, with a range of about 7,000 miles (11,000 km), is said to be immune to any current and future U.S. missile defenses. It is capable of making evasive maneuvers to avoid a kill using terminal phase interceptors, and carries targeting countermeasures and decoys.
It is also shielded against radiation, electromagnetic pulse, nuclear blasts, and is designed to survive a hit from any known form of laser technology.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081219/118957217.html

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
in Russian it is RS-20 (РС-20) Voevoda and by NATO it is called SS-18 Satan
My apologies. I made a mistake. I called the RS-20, the SS-20. It's actually the SS-18. And yes it's life has been extended to a total of 30 years. Now as for the SS-20, it's a road-mobile missile that has been taken out of service.

Wall83

As I understand the new RS-24 missile is supose to replace both the SS-18 ( R-36M2) and SS-19 (UR-100N) as russias heavy ICBMs. The first of these missiles could be deployed in 2009.
http://russianforces.org/blog/2008/06/deployment_of_rs24_may_begin_i.shtml
http://russianforces.org/blog/2008/06/first_rs-24_will_be_deployed_i.shtml

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm guessing the RS-24 will replace the UR-100N, and the new missile will eventually replace the RS-20.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Bulava just failed a test launch. http://newsru.com/russia/23dec2008/bulavacrash.html

The first and second stages worked fine, but the third stage malfunctioned, and the missile self-liquidated. 3-4 more launches are planned next year, and final acceptance is planned for next year.

Well this makes for a total of 5 completely failed launches, 4 sort-of succesful, and 1 successful launch. Even if the remaineder of the launches (3-4) are succesful, the missile obviously isn't ready for service. They're either going to accept a poorly tested missile into service, or have to readjust the schedule again.