Russia tests new missiles

Mercurius

Yuri Solomonov, Designer-General of the MITT and designer of the Bulava, told Interfax in May of this year that the missiles needed to arm the Yuri Dolgoruky have already been manufactured.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yuri Solomonov, Designer-General of the MITT and designer of the Bulava, told Interfax in May of this year that the missiles needed to arm the Yuri Dolgoruky have already been manufactured.
This is surprising. Do you have a link by any chance?

Mercurius

I’ve seen an English-language text of the original Interfax story “No contract signed yet with Russian strategic missile makers”.

Solomonov is reported to have said.

"We are manufacturing the missiles. After the tests were carried through, including flight tests, none of the missiles have been reworked. The first batches were made on schedule. We have been manufacturing these missiles according to plan, accumulating them.”

This stockpiling of manufactured missiles was a result of several factors: "First, the testing of the missile system has not been completed. Second, there is no place to deploy them in the absence of submarines.”

He referred to “the possibility of fitting [the lead boat] out with an entire set of missiles, so experimental-combat operation of the combat unit could begin in 2012.”

I’d interpret the above as meaning that newly-manufactured missiles earmarked for deployment were being stockpiled with the aim of having enough missiles to fully equip the boat by early 2012, but not as implying that the full number of rounds needed had been built.

But obviously I don’t know what version/translation of the story Jane’s was using and whether it differed from the version I’ve seen.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given that it passed the volley-fire test, the next step should be acceptance into service.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
A large contract for retooling the Votkinsk plant has been signed. It will mean accelerated production of the RS-24, and possibly the Bulava.

bmpd -

Votkinsk also produces Iskander missiles, but this particular contract seems to be about the ICBM part of the factory.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another launch of the new Avangard missile just took place. The missile appears to be the next incremental upgrade to the Topol family, being heavily based on the RS-24 and the Topol-M.

bmpd -

The main difference was named as a new type of fuel used, that improves the missiles ability to accelerate.

Quiller

They are not trying to get back to cold war.
They pump money into their strategic forces to keepn them from rusting away.
It is an upgrade and conslidation of their strategic arsenal.
In the 90s their strategic forces were on the same way of disintegrating like their conventional forces.
So much that even a successfull first strike of the US might have been possible (As unthinkable as it is but you have to plan this way).

Their sat assets coming down without being replaced, many early warning systems not functioning anymore and standing in other GUS countries, their SSBNs not going onto regular patrols anymore...

It was time to react and with the new flush of oil&gas money they are doing right in consolidating their strategic forces and give them priority over their armed forces.
In the end it is not their conventional might which gives Russia and international weight which doesn't reflects its real economic and conventional military strength.
Even if Russia was badly weakened militarily, the US would not have sought a first strike to take Russia out. It is not in our genes. It just isn't, despite what many people say. America does not want to destroy half the world because we can. Similarly, I don't believe Russia genuinely desires to take out the US. Maybe once upon a time in the cold war... I don't know, maybe not. I think Russia wants to have power and influence in the global equation, as does the US... but neither wants to stamp out the other at this point in time.

fb_programmer

Does anyone remember the Russian submarine Kursk?

The Kursk carried twenty-four P-700 Granit cruise missiles which are anti-ship missiles that cannot be shot down or intercepted by NORAD. The P-700 signature on file with NORAD states these missiles carry a 500 Kiloton thermonuclear warhead and have targets of high value pre-programmed into their systems such as the Pentagon.

There is a lot of discussion in the Russian intelligence community that the 24 P-700 Granit anti-ship cruise missiles were stolen during the recovery in the year 2000. The missiles were supposedly buried in a closed-casket funeral meaning their warheads were sealed inside the silos - so they tell us. Some believe this is why the military ordered people in the nearby areas to take iodine when the missiles were supposedly buried and destroyed by the government.

I just read an article in the Moscow Times (in English) that states it was Dick Cheney's HALIBURTON that was awarded the contract to rescue the Kursk.

GOOGLE: HALIBURTON RAISES KURSK and you will find the Moscow Times article.

Interestingly enough, the morning of September 11, 2001 just 4 minutes before the Pentagon was struck, NORAD detected an incoming object flying @ Mach 2.5 that invoked them to ring the atomic alert for the 1st time in US military history and slam shut all atomic doors @ Cheyenne Mountain. NORAD immediately launched the Nuclear Retaliatory E-4B 'Doomsday' jet and dispatched a squadron of F-15 fighters over the Atlantic ocean to ward off further attacks. This is not the protocol NORAD follows for an attempted hijacking half way across the country. The Pentagon was hit @ the water line level just centimetres from the ground without harming so much as a single blade of grass. The lawn was left so pristine after the devastating attack that you could play golf on it. 6 super structure rings of the Pentagon were punctured in a split second w/ the same diameter of a P-700 and of course the thousands of cameras @ the Pentagon they tell us were not functioning @ the time of the attack. I remember watching CIA director Porter Goss in a live interview on camera across the street from the Pentagon and you can hear the distinct whiz of a Soviet-era cruise missile zip right over his head tearing light poles out of the ground and everyone runs for cover then you hear a massive explosion.

Vice-president Dick Cheney and Condaleezza Rice were immediately rushed away to atomic bunkers where they immediately call Moscow. Why Moscow?

I don't like conspiracies, so somebody refute the Moscow Times article and give me some data on this...

Last edited:

nevidimka

First Bulava, then Yars, Liner, and now Avangard. It looks like Avangard looks like a real breakthrough, with intelligent manouvring warheards at its terminal phase and now a new fuel to circumvent the boost phase detection and destruction, it looks like Russia has surged ahead with thier ICBM technology. Its good to see Russia keeping ahead of in the ICBM curve and not let the missile defence shield to puncture a hole in Russian ICBM arsenal. It is afterall a strategic no first use system used solely for deterrence for Russia.

I would like to know more about the missile but the lack of information on it is understandable due to the nature of its technology breakthrough.

Russia tests new missile with previously unachievable performance - English pravda.ru

Hopefully Russia could see more breakthrough like this in many other weapons systems and not just their ICBM's.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Avangard ICBM just had another successful test. It's unclear still what exactly this missile is. It's likely it's the next incremental upgrade of the Topol family (Topol-Topol-M-Yars-Avangard). There is speculation about it having a new type of propellant, a new type of guidance system, new pen-aids, etc.

So far there's been 3 launches. The first one wasn't successful. The second and third were.

http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-553.html

nevidimka

the deal with this new system is that, the rails will not need extra reinforcement. Somehting the previous carriage needed due to the weight. This makes it even harder to identify, and the rail carriages will look no different than a normal train carriage.