Russia tests new missiles

Wall83

as I know Bulava is 37 tonns and Bark was something like 45-50 tonns. And constructors say that Bulava is little due to Bark
Well I cant relly find any sources about the exact weight of the Bulava. (Wikipedia states that it has a mass of 45 tones, i dont relly trust wikipedia facts) However the Bulava is supose to be longer then the Bark. Why this would meen that fewer missiles could be fitted on the YD I dont know.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/russia/3m14.htm

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry. Basically the article says that Nogovitsuin stated that the Gen HQ has yet to receive a detailed report on why it failed, but so far it looks like a lot of the designs features were not properly implemented in the production stage. That's the nice way of saying that the production facilities are in such bad order that missiles are failing tests.

It then goes on to the usual stuff, about how the missile will be accepted, and finishes off with a brief recap of test history, and plans for it.

nevidimka

Sorry. Basically the article says that Nogovitsuin stated that the Gen HQ has yet to receive a detailed report on why it failed, but so far it looks like a lot of the designs features were not properly implemented in the production stage. That's the nice way of saying that the production facilities are in such bad order that missiles are failing tests.

It then goes on to the usual stuff, about how the missile will be accepted, and finishes off with a brief recap of test history, and plans for it.

But they didnt have these problems with the Topol's?

I believe 1 of the reasons that they have no experience in SLBM's is 1 of it. But there is also news that the 3rd stage is something different from previous ICBM's, hence the problems right from the production level's?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt there are similar problems with the Topols, as those are after all long since in serial production, and have been tested with no problems extensively.

Wall83

But they didnt have these problems with the Topol's?
Yes does anyone know how the early testflights with the topol-m went in the 1990s?
I supose that the problems should have been less becouse the missile is based on the topol (SS-25) missile. But then again, the Bulava is based on the Topol-m (SS-27).

SkolZkiy

I think there some other problems, there is something unclear in all this. production problems?? - what we are building then?? something new?? or what?? may be they ar eusing something like coldplasma or what??

Wall83

Oh you meant during the actual development. Well here's the interesting thing, the SS-N-20 had 7/10 failures during it's first 10 launches. It took 37 launches total before entering service. So in that regard the Bulava doesn't look all that bad. Here's an interesting article on it.

http://russianforces.org/blog/2009/01/r-39_flight_test_program.shtml
Sew that article to. I hope that the Bulava dont need 37 launches before it will enter service, then it would not bee ready until 2025 or something ;)
Nothing on the Topol-m?

nevidimka

Id this normal? What about previous Soviet ICBM's? like the SS 18 etc? Do those missiles also failes many tests b4 they got it right?

Wall83

Time to awaken this thread again?

Any news about the Bulava program? The last test was a failure again it seems, the missile didnt even leave the submarine. And any news on the RS-24 missile. Russia usualy announches the number of deployed new missiles in december or early Januari.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
30 new missiles are due next year, along with more Bulava launches. I'll let you know if I get numbers about deployements for this year. For now russianforces.org is still the best source.

Wall83

30 new missiles are due next year, along with more Bulava launches. I'll let you know if I get numbers about deployements for this year. For now russianforces.org is still the best source.
30 missiles? Are we talking only ICBM/SLBMs or does the number include missiles like the SS-26 Iskander? If not the russians truly has trippled the production..