Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

hauritz

I doubt the Ghostbat (in its current form) could take off from an LHD - it is not a STOVL aircraft and many of the reasons for not pursuing the F-35B exist for a Canberra launched MQ-28 as well.
STOBAR might be a possibility. I don't imagine adding an arrestor wire would be that difficult.

Redlands18

STOBAR might be a possibility. I don't imagine adding an arrestor wire would be that difficult.
What about the Angled Flight Deck, which is a requirement for arrested landings? When a pilot lands on a Carrier, he goes to full throttle, it is the arrestor wires that stop him from taking off again, missed arrestor wires are not uncommon and the pilot takes off on the angled deck and comes around again. On a straight deck like a QE or Canberra you would need to use the entire flight deck.

Reptilia

If the bayraktar kizilelema is going to be operated off the Turkish (navantia) lhds, then the ghost bat is likely going to be able to also.

Redlands18

If the bayraktar kizilelema is going to be operated off the Turkish (navantia) lhds, then the ghost bat is likely going to be able to also.
Why? Totally different Aircraft with a totally different design philosophy to do a totally different job. The MQ-28 is far bigger, is a jet, so would land at a faster speed. How they intend to catch the Bayraktor, I'm not sure, may be small enough and land slow enough to use netting but the Ghost Bat won't be.

ddxx

Why? Totally different Aircraft with a totally different design philosophy to do a totally different job. The MQ-28 is far bigger, is a jet, so would land at a faster speed. How they intend to catch the Bayraktor, I'm not sure, may be small enough and land slow enough to use netting but the Ghost Bat won't be.
They’re also developing a jet-powered UCAV designed to operate from their LHD which is comparable, if not larger than the MQ-28A.

It is intended to operate in a STOBAR configuration and involves retrofitting an arrestor system which will also be used for their exisiting UCAVs.

hauritz

What about the Angled Flight Deck, which is a requirement for arrested landings? When a pilot lands on a Carrier, he goes to full throttle, it is the arrestor wires that stop him from taking off again, missed arrestor wires are not uncommon and the pilot takes off on the angled deck and comes around again. On a straight deck like a QE or Canberra you would need to use the entire flight deck.
The reason the they gun the engine is so they can take off again if the arrester wire landing fails. In the case of an unmanned aircraft I don't think you would bother with that precaution. Just an arrester wire and a barracade in case the arrester wire failed would probably be adequate.

Stampede

They’re also developing a jet-powered UCAV designed to operate from their LHD which is comparable, if not larger than the MQ-28A.

It is intended to operate in a STOBAR configuration and involves retrofitting an arrestor system which will also be used for their exisiting UCAVs.
I've been keeping an eye on what Türkiye are doing in this realm including the UCAV mentioned.
How they make this work I don't know but they are committed to giving it a go.

An interesting space particularly for other LHD operators.

Cheers S

Reptilia

QE carrier is 50 m longer than australias and turkeys lhds, will be interesting to see what happens.
Pictures circulating with MQ28a landing on u.k carrier recently.

turkey guaranteed to have bayraktar tb3 on both anadolu and trakya and planned to have bayraktar kiziliema.
they seem to think 30-50 tb3 (280kg payload per uav, (predecessor tb2 payload 150kg) with folding wings will be on each lhd.
tb2 and tb3 seem to have significantly greater com range and endurance than a strix.

Details on Baykar website

Redlands18

another great vid showing more of strix capabilities.

Irrespective of what system the ADF may acquire in the future, this is a great video showing the possibilities such a system could provide. Certainly a Loyal Wingman for Seahawks makes a lot of sense.

Redlands18

Looks like the Triton will be going ahead, MSN news stated that the RAAF will stand up 9 Squadron and take the Triton on charge. The first one is due in Australia next year. I believe also there is a model/static display etc at the Airshow.

But it all could change when the DSR is released.
The Defmin and Chief of the RAAF are talking about it today, we can be pretty sure its cleared the DSR. There is a lot of talk about LR strike in the DSR but that is going to need ISR platforms, I think if anything the DSR will strengthen the requirement for the Triton, we could even see an increase in numbers.
Australian MQ-4C Triton being prepared for maiden flight (janes.com)
Also, the first RAAF one is very close to its maiden flight.