Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Gooey

I found this an interesting read.. and the use of bombers with cheap bombs to defeat chinas navy and ground assets.

is it possible for the RAAF to do the same? Ie do we need to purchase b21 or b1b to pick off the Chinese’s navy?

what platforms can raaf deliver the same effect?
It seems the low cost of life option
Additional P8 Bomb trucks and a VLR B21-type acquisition have always been two different capabilities and time line.

Without regurgitation of the pros v anti-VLR debate, P8s will be maxed out on fish-head ISR/ASW and VLR would give CoA greater kinetic reach

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I found this an interesting read.. and the use of bombers with cheap bombs to defeat chinas navy and ground assets.

is it possible for the RAAF to do the same? Ie do we need to purchase b21 or b1b to pick off the Chinese’s navy?

what platforms can raaf deliver the same effect?
It seems the low cost of life option
@Tbone

The purchase of B1's and B21's has been discussed at length in this thread. There are a range of arguments on both sides. It would be better for the thread to do some research as it would help frame your question.

alexsa

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Anyone see the F16 flying over the harbor in formation today? Great display looks like the blue angles ?View attachment 50070
That might be the Blue Angels, but that is a joint USN/USMC aerobatic unit flying F/A-18E SHornets, not F-16's. The USAF Thunderbirds are an aerobatic squadron which does fly the F-16, but the image is almost certainly not them. Aside from the aircraft appearing more like an F/A-18 (to my eyes at least) the Thunderbird F-16's have a distinctive Red-White-Blue paint scheme which the jets do not appear to have.

Tbone

@Tbone

The purchase of B1's and B21's has been discussed at length in this thread. There are a range of arguments on both sides. It would be better for the thread to do some research as it would help frame your question.

alexsa
Thanks but I was asking the experts on here what other platform could be used instead of the expensive bombers mentioned… not sure why I need to be questioned on posting this.. I supplied an interesting article containing likely outcomes if war broke out between the super powers and was asking the experts on here what platforms Australia could use to counter aggression cheaply and effectively without mass casualties.

Redlands18

Thanks but I was asking the experts on here what other platform could be used instead of the expensive bombers mentioned… not sure why I need to be questioned on posting this.. I supplied an interesting article containing likely outcomes if war broke out between the super powers and was asking the experts on here what platforms Australia could use to counter aggression cheaply and effectively without mass casualties.
Go back through the ADF threads and you will find that just about every potential platform that Australia could acquire has been discussed many times. SSNs are a platform that has been used extensively over the last 30 years for surgical strike.

the road runner

That might be the Blue Angels, but that is a joint USN/USMC aerobatic unit flying F/A-18E SHornets, not F-16's. The USAF Thunderbirds are an aerobatic squadron which does fly the F-16, but the image is almost certainly not them. Aside from the aircraft appearing more like an F/A-18 (to my eyes at least) the Thunderbird F-16's have a distinctive Red-White-Blue paint scheme which the jets do not appear to have.
Got home from work to do a quick search and it was actually the South Korean Black Eagles and what a great display they did..
They popped smoke and my vantage point was 80 story's up at Barangaroo . They flew a around the Harbor Bridge and the Opera House a few times
Could this be a sign from the Gods about a contract that's up for grabs for the Army?

Squadron of fighter jets fly across Sydney skies | Daily Mail Online

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Got home from work to do a quick search and it was actually the South Korean Black Eagles and what a great display they did..
They popped smoke and my vantage point was 80 story's up at Barangaroo . They flew a around the Harbor Bridge and the Opera House a few times
Could this be a sign from the Gods about a contract that's up for grabs for the Army?

Squadron of fighter jets fly across Sydney skies | Daily Mail Online
Consider me officially jealous. Sounds like it was a great sight to see. Best I have been able to manage is some low-level flights of C-17's and CH-47's over my house.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Moderators have said that such discussuion is not productive and that we won't tolerate continuation of such a discussion UNTIL the Australian government states an intention to acquire the B-21. If you wish to push the topic and the Moderators patience feel free to do so, but the consequences of such an action will impactly somewhat negatively on you. Don't push your luck.

MARKMILES77

At the International Military Helicopter Conference in London, Rear Admiral James Parkin of the Royal Navy gave an update on The Royal Navy's " Future Maritime Aviation Force".

Interesting to note CGI images of future British Carrier operations, along with F-35s, clearly showed MQ-28 Ghost Bats operating.
A Ghost Bat with a tail hook is clearly seen.
Is this just a randomly chosen UAV for the images or is there something behind it?
Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 9.26.02 am.pngScreen Shot 2023-02-23 at 7.22.31 pm.png

hauritz

Redlands18

Not too sure about the credibility of that article, talks fairly flippantly about fitting "Cats and Traps" to the QE class Carriers by 2023. My understanding is that would be a fairly major project. There was a serious look at changing them to CATOBAR early in the build and rejected.

Depot Dog

Comparing images of the UK Vixen drone computer image supplied in the above articles and googling pictures of the Ghost bat. The facebook picture looks to have side intakes. The Vixen inlet is at the top. The winglets seem to be flat. The Vixen winglets are down. I agree the facebook image is close to a ghost bat. This facebook picture could be someone clever with photoshop or revelations of a possible ghost bat future roll. We wont know until the British reveal their plans.

Regards
DD

hauritz

Last edited:

ddxx

That’s interesting. Being able to operate Ghostbats from aircraft carriers and I guess any other kind of flattop has a lot of implications for Australia.

Honestly seems like a bit of a no-brainer given the blatant gap we have in providing air cover to an ARG in transit beyond land based cover …

Tbone

Would a Ghostbat be able to embark from a Canberra LHD? now that would be something.

I was wondering why the cancellation of the MQ-9b Skyguardian was cancelled?
Would be great to have the sea guardian able to embark from the Canberra class to proved surveillance and even strike options.

could this be a possible asset ?