Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Stampede

Completely off topic but I love the look of the star forts and if I was a stupidly rich billionaire, would likely build one to live in.

The operative word being stupid .....
The Billionaire part would help as well.

My pick would be St Michaels Mount in Cornwell.
Who doesn't want a private island with a castle, complete with village and harbour.
A very nice part or the world.

Back to the RAAF.

Going Boeing

I interpret the recently announced reactivation of RAAF 9 Squadron to operate the MQ4C Tritons as a change in direction. The plan for a number of years was for 11 Squadron to operate the P-8’s and 10 Squadron to operate the Triton. The change indicates that enough P-8’s are to be acquired for 2 squadrons so they’ve moved the Tritons to 9 Sqn which has been inactive since the helicopter fleet was transferred to the Army.

Royal Australian Air Force Reactivating Squadron to Operate New MQ-4C Tritons - USNI News

Aardvark144

I interpret the recently announced reactivation of RAAF 9 Squadron to operate the MQ4C Tritons as a change in direction. The plan for a number of years was for 11 Squadron to operate the P-8’s and 10 Squadron to operate the Triton. The change indicates that enough P-8’s are to be acquired for 2 squadrons so they’ve moved the Tritons to 9 Sqn which has been inactive since the helicopter fleet was transferred to the Army.

Royal Australian Air Force Reactivating Squadron to Operate New MQ-4C Tritons - USNI News
And who will operate the MC55?

seaspear

With the ninth squadron reactivated to operate just three of the MQ4C instead of the six originally spoken of , is this an effective number of platforms ,does this complicate logistics, is there duplication from different platforms performing the same tasks ?

Aardvark144

With the ninth squadron reactivated to operate just three of the MQ4C instead of the six originally spoken of , is this an effective number of platforms ,does this complicate logistics, is there duplication from different platforms performing the same tasks ?
Just three ordered at the moment. Lets wait and see with the FSR, if the order for platforms 4 to 7 eventuate. It is 'Nine' Squadron not 'ninth' sorry to be pedantic.

Moderator edit: To be really pedantic, it's actually written as 9 Squadron or 9 Sqn. As a side note the RAF have used Roman numerals for their sqn numbers so in the RAF it would be IX Sqn.

Ngatimozart

Last edited by a moderator:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If Australia proceeds with the 4th tranche of F35 will the Super Hornets be kept or sold off?
That's a really big if and really is quite airy fairy at this point in time.

Had a jolly on a 9 Sqn UH-1H Iroquois many years ago. They were over here doing mountain flying training. There was also a Caribou supporting them.

Going Boeing

If Australia proceeds with the 4th tranche of F35 will the Super Hornets be kept or sold off?
There are quite a few comments speculating that the DSR recommends an additional F35 fighter squadron be formed with the Rhinos & Growlers being retained for some time yet - they still have quite a lot of capability, especially when armed with long range weapons.

An additional squadron may not require purchase of all 28 F35’s in the last tranche.

jack412

Things can change, but at this point in time. The Super hornet will retire in 2030 and the Growler in 2035
"In March, the ACEASP was awarded a four-year, $280 million, sustainment contract extension until 2025. Life of type for the Super Hornet is currently 2030 for the Super Hornet and 2035 for the Growler. "

hauritz

A few years ago I would say that they would be gone, but the world is a lot less safe now.

I think there could be a case made for keeping them far as long as we have the Growlers. For example I think a few could be assigned to the OCU. Better to do conversion training in Rhinos rather than taking Growlers off the front line. Also 12 of the Rhinos are wired for conversion to Growlers so it could be useful to just keep them around, perhaps even convert a few.

As for the rest if we couldn't keep them actively flying then just put them into storage. If the proverbial were to hit the fan I am sure they would be reactivated in a heartbeat.

Stampede

There are quite a few comments speculating that the DSR recommends an additional F35 fighter squadron be formed with the Rhinos & Growlers being retained for some time yet - they still have quite a lot of capability, especially when armed with long range weapons.

An additional squadron may not require purchase of all 28 F35’s in the last tranche.
I would not be surprised if this is the outcome.
As you said it may be a quantity less than 28

Cheers S

Redlands18

Things can change, but at this point in time. The Super hornet will retire in 2030 and the Growler in 2035
"In March, the ACEASP was awarded a four-year, $280 million, sustainment contract extension until 2025. Life of type for the Super Hornet is currently 2030 for the Super Hornet and 2035 for the Growler. "
That article is 3 years old and predates the 2020 Defence Update, so I don't know how well it has aged. There was nothing in the Defence Update about the Super Hornets at all and the Growler Fleet is getting a $2B upgrade in the next few years. We may get a better idea after the DSR drops, several more customers have ordered F-35s since 2020, so getting the next tranche by 2030 may not be possible, and the F-35 is the only aircraft Australia is going to replace the Super Hornets with in that timeframe.

jack412

As you say, it is aged, but it is what is public. I would guess that block 4 marine capabilities, have to be timely for the F-35. Before we could consider retiring the Super Hornet. Another possibility, is that they are kept for standoff marine use, to supplement the Collins

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would note that the RAAF uses the PC21 in the FAC and that this, and the previous capabilities with PC9 and Winjeel, were an interim, or training capability.

That is the assumption was in war time a more capable platform would be used.

One of the Roles the USMC uses their D model Hornets for is Fast FAC. Logically the RAAF could assign Fs to the Fast FAC role as well as CAS, which they have already done very well.

ddxx

I'd imagine we'd likely keep the Super Hornets around until there's a successor to the Growler?

As long as we have Growlers in the fleet, you'd think there would be economies of scale in retaining the the Super Hornets?

IMO any additional F-35 orders should be about growth rather than replacement.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Block 4 is meant to bring in EW capabilities to the F-35, but not clear if they will be of the same level as the growler. Then there is the issue if a $100m 5th gen stealthy manned platform is the ideal EW item.

F-35 deliveries are also a problem, did we want any to turn up before 2030?