Ideas, suggestions, etc. for Defence Talk?

Artyengineer

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
How I found Defense Talk

An article on defense news was linked to in a discussion on Strategypage.

First impresions of this site are very very good.

A reasonable, enforced policy regarding trolling and general idiocy, webmasters and administrators who actually do something and appear to really monitor threads, and finally a really well though out layout and good overall functionality to the site.

Arty.

P.S. I am not bein a kiss ass:)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Artyengineer said:
webmasters and administrators who actually do something and appear to really monitor threads
well, at least when we're not trying to earn money to put food on the table. ;)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Arty. We try our best. I am glad and thankful that I have moderator team that understands what we need to do.

hydraulic

I was looking for comparison between Scorpene sub and Collin class sub in the web then this forum appeared in the link

heso10

i am very happy to join defencetalk forum , i hope to gather information from the forum and to share my information with the forum , my first impression is very good

Ozzy Blizzard

i was googleing the JSF and i found a discussion.

I like this site, there's a lot of inteligent discussion that goes beyond pure technical stuff.

RonnyMarl

RonnyMarl

I was Googleing around one day and came across this site. Even though I'm told I have 904 unread posts, I would guess that I have read 70% of them before joining. I found that there is a great deal of knowledge among the members, that there is free and open debate which is well moderated and I have found that when indiscretions occur, action is taken. But the most important reason I joined is the depth and breadth of knowledge of many of the members.

A suggestion to improve the site: Rather than say a post was made "1 hour ago", "4 weeks ago", why not put up the actual time and the date of the post if possible? I know that the date of older posts is put up.

Hope I can contribute like many of your members do.

Ron

Foley

I found this site about another site. The name from this site is armee-info.com. Is a site about the Swiss Army.

Last edited by a moderator:

long live usa

gf0012-aust said:
well, at least when we're not trying to earn money to put food on the table. ;)
omg,so you actually depend on this as your sole income?:eek:nfloorl: huh....but this is not the case?does rank effect pay?.......:lol3 huh.......calm down calm down huh...ok,but i found out about this site while looking for military debate very nice and well maintained

Last edited:

Big-E

Banned Member
long live usa said:
omg,so you actually depend on this as your sole income?:eek:nfloorl: huh....but this is not the case?does rank effect pay?.......:lol3 huh.......calm down calm down huh...ok
Did you miss something? He said he does this only when he's NOT at work.:drunk1

DarthAmerica

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
How?

IIRC I was subcribed to the news letter first. But a member contacted me on another forum and told me to give this site and its more controlled environment a try. Initially I was taken back by how often the Moderators get involved. Most sites I participated in are quite a bit more confrontational. But as I am adjusting to this format I find it to be a refreshing difference. To use an analogy I would say this site is like having a discussion while on duty and the others are like having the same discussion while off duty in the presence of alcohol. Balance.

Thanks
DA

Davyd

How did you found about Defence Talk? - I believe it was a image search through Google for ____ (some aircraft) and i noticed this site had 'more results'.
Your first impression? - A lot more thorough and in depth than others i've seen. ANd a neat layout that even allowed switching of the colors.
Thoughts on promoting the site? - Uhhhh, errrrr....... Sorry. Not sure. Nothing i would say that hasn't been said though.

long live usa

Big-E said:
Did you miss something? He said he does this only when he's NOT at work.:drunk1
it was just a simple joke meant for some laughs,sorry thought it was obvious,that why i included input to the threads purpose

tntsas

I found this place by using google.
It is a good place with people from the world.But the speed is slow.
And the number of people here is small.In china there is always 200-400 people online.

Big-E

Banned Member
tntsas said:
And the number of people here is small.In china there is always 200-400 people online.
You find it slow now?:confused: Since the upgrade I find the speed to be quite acceptable.:)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
tntsas said:
Welcome and Thanks.

The speed, well the servers are located in mid USA and it really depends what type of connection you and your ISP have to the internet backbone. It maybe slow in some parts of china and not others, same for rest of the world.

I know when I surf DT from work, its bit slow but when I go home and get on its a lot faster and when I am at my parents home, it is even faster there (all three places have different ISPs).

As far as not being busy, it is busy in sense that people visit it but only those who want to discuss login. We've worked hard to keep this place clean and mean so that only serious people think about participation in discussions and not flamers/one line posting trolls.

Don't forget to invite others.

Enjoy!

contedicavour

Big-E said:
You find it slow now?:confused: Since the upgrade I find the speed to be quite acceptable.:)
Agree the speed is satisfactory (at least from here in Europe), though the other point is true : there are often only about a dozen people for example on the naval threads at any given time, and membership is for the moment mostly Australian and American. It would be better to have wider participation. I'll do my best to spread the word on this very interesting site ;)

cheers