Ideas, suggestions, etc. for Defence Talk?

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: How did you found out about Defence Talk?

Thanks folks!

Rookie, welcome to DefenceTalk mate! Well, who do you need to get in touch with? We had to disable PMs for members below 50 posts because of the fact that we had certain members who were registering in order to send PM spam to almost 7,000 members. Sorry, this restriction will not go away.

RM87

Gday all.

Found this forum through a Google search, Most of the other sites were rubbish however this one seems to be quite good :)

velind

New comer

Greetings!
I just joined this forum. Its pretty cool in here. I found this site thru google while I was searching for photos if battle tanks.

Thanks.

Supe

WebMaster said:
Hi Folks,

1. How did you found about Defence Talk?
  2. Your first impression?
  3. Thoughts on promoting the site?
  1. Google Fu. Searching for information on RAN LHD's IIRC. Whatever it was I searched, I scored a hit on this site.
  2. As long term user of Vbulletin forum I didn't like the custom template in use. Sometimes modification of user interface can inhibit use.
  3. I'm happy to link here from other forums. I don't actively seek to promote though, only provide source of information. If the source is here, I'll link it.

Aussie Gunner and GF do wonders for this site at least from an Australian perspective. I would totally avoid Stratpage (I can't be arsed joining) if it weren't for those guys - a pity some of the other heads on SP aren't members/regulars here. Then I could avoid that abomination of forum software SP uses.

Last edited:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Thank you velind and supe.

1. Google Fu. Searching for information on RAN LHD's IIRC. Whatever it was I searched, I scored a hit on this site.
Google is great! DT gets a lot of hits from google.

2. As long term user of Vbulletin forum I didn't like the custom template in use. Sometimes modification of user interface can inhibit use.
vB came out with "new" interface and features so we went with that but recently as you can tell, we've changed to the more conventional layout which you find on 90% of the boards out there so it is easier for the user to adapt.

3. I'm happy to link here from other forums. I don't actively seek to promote though, only provide source of information. If the source is here, I'll link it.
Thank you.

Aussie Gunner and GF do wonders for this site at least from an Australian perspective. I would totally avoid Stratpage (I can't be arsed joining) if it weren't for those guys - a pity some of the other heads on SP aren't members/regulars here. Then I could avoid that abomination of forum software SP uses.
Gary and AD are just great and have helped us a lot as far as quality of the forum, forum posts and moderation is concerned... cannot thank them enough.
I am sure if we continue the strict rule enforcement and policies, other professionals and serious defence folks will come and they are.

chrisrobsoar

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
1 How did you found about Defence Talk?

Google link.

2 Your first impression?

I'm keeping my powder dry. I'm an old ex-service defence professional. And current flying instructor.

So far so good.

3 Thoughts on promoting the site?

A bit too to comment.

KAPITAIN

How did i find defence forums, well i was told by a good friend of mine that it existed and he gave me the link.

First impression: i didnt enjoy being called a troll but guess it takes all sorts and im not unhappy about it, but a good first impression and i have recommended this site to many.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
KAPITAIN said:
How did i find defence forums, well i was told by a good friend of mine that it existed and he gave me the link.

First impression: i didnt enjoy being called a troll but guess it takes all sorts and im not unhappy about it, but a good first impression and i have recommended this site to many.
well, I apologise for calling you a troll ;)

The problem is that sometimes we are inflicted with comments that lack basic elements of research - and when those comments are definitive and presented as empirical - then naturally a question of motive and style is raised.

in the past - and in the recent past we've had some come in and make absolutely ridiculous comments under the banner of nationalism and patriotic fervour.

it tends to irritate people somewhat. there are a number of people in here who do work in a number of military disciplines. eventually you'll work out who they are. they're worth listening to as they are professionals within their respective fields.

KAPITAIN

That is understandable sir its not that i havnt done the research its just simply i dont have it to hand, my good friend javier is having a look at what ive got (some items).

Ive been researching submarines now for well a long time longer than i can remember but knowlage on some sonar systems is limited.

Although not millatery (yet) well kind of not i did join the royal navy 2 years ago and didnt get in because of my lack of wieght (wanted to be on submarines either sonar or weapons).

Right now im training to become an officer in the merchant navy.

Jezza

google

but dont bother to post as you get ignored by SO CALLED EXPERTS
SO I DONT BOTHER

Get better discussions and feedback at
abovetopsecret.com
Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Jezza said:
google

SO I DONT BOTHER

abovetopsecret.com
well, I'm sorry you're not happy, but looking back on your history of posts I don't see too many where you've asked direct questions.

Most of your responses are comments and opinions - just like others within a post. 19 posts in 9 months

In fact I can't see too many posts where someone hasn't provided a response when you've asked a specific question.

Supe

Jezza said:
google

SO I DONT BOTHER

abovetopsecret.com
It reads like you expect the 'experts' to be at a members beck and call?

DefenceTalk is still a small forum with a few regulars. Since it doesn't have the same traffic that other sites do, it's not going to generate the 50 post in a thread a day response you will find on other sites.

Stick around and pay attention to the what some of the regs have to say and you will be well informed as a result.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Thank you Gary and Supe.

Jezza, what can I say? We try hard to take care of some harsh replies but some do slip by... ;)

Also, as supe said, DefenceTalk is very new compared to some of the busiest defence/military sites. It will turn 3 years old on March 27th, 2006 - still in three years, it has done very well in my opinion.

Currently, we are doing around 4 million pageviews a month... last month it was 3 million and 2 million a month before that and unique visitors increasing as well. Our hosting needs... started off in first year with $60.00 per year, 2nd year it went to $120.00 per year, then we had to switch to Virtual Private Server...cost went up to $1088 per year and few months into that, we had to switch again to DEDICATED server, cost went to $1800+ per year. That is just the HOSTING cost... I think that alone tells us alot about the growth in three short years and what is yet to come.

The small number of posts are posted per day...which is okay. I know, we use to delete 50% of the replies and one-liners because either they were nonsense or just oneline replies.

DefenceTalk offers a professional and mature arena, well moderated, strict rules, no/free of POP-UPs and other highly annoying stuff which other sites put you through.

Stick around and invite others, we will have a better place. :) Also, give suggestions to improve the site - if it is beneficial, it will be done in no time as it has been in the past.

Thanks and enjoy!

PiSigma

I finally got some time to register, "found" this site in webmaster's signiture in SinoDefenceForum.com. I just had to sign up since defence talk got all the good pics!!!. anywayz, going back to my slack of activity for awhile now until exams are over.

Jezza

Supe said:

DefenceTalk is still a small forum with a few regulars. Since it doesn't have the same traffic that other sites do, it's not going to generate the 50 post in a thread a day response you will find on other sites.

Stick around and pay attention to the what some of the regs have to say and you will be well informed as a result.

I visit this place daily and choose not to say anything.

Admin: Text deleted. C'mon mate, those comments aren't necessary. You've been here long enough to know whats acceptable

Supe said:
Why would i want that i didnt say that at all.

Forum....
A place for discussion.
A gathering for the purpose of discussion.
An Internet message board where users can post messages regarding one or more topics of discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

colvin123

1 How did you found about Defence Talk?

Google link.

2 Your first impression?
God ! they know much about us !

3 Thoughts on promoting the site?

no !