Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Big_Zucchini

The gun issue is going to be interesting.
Is the Rheinmetall MK-30-2 the new standard gun for Australia, or is it going to later compete with any Bushmaster variant, or is Australia just going to field 2 different 30mm guns with two distinct and non-interchangeable types of ammo?

I also learned that the MK-30-2 is a gas operated gun, rather than externally operated, which could be problematic for a dual feeding system. Is it an issue?

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, IIRC the base 35mm Millenium gun does ~1000 RPM, so 1200 for the 30mm sounds plausible. The advantages being same calibre as Boxer/Lynx, more stored kills for C-RAM and UAV/loitering munition swarms, plus the MANPADS, which we should be looking at for infantry too IMO.
Noted, RBS-70 is apparently integrated in the design... I wonder why?

Boagrius

Noted, RBS-70 is apparently integrated in the design... I wonder why?
Wouldn't be a bad set up. It would open up the question of holding onto existing RBS70 launchers when NASAMS comes online, but I don't know how practical that would be. Something like Stinger (or its successor) strikes me as less bulky and possibly more suited to being distributed throughout the land force(?).

Boagrius

The gun issue is going to be interesting.
Is the Rheinmetall MK-30-2 the new standard gun for Australia, or is it going to later compete with any Bushmaster variant, or is Australia just going to field 2 different 30mm guns with two distinct and non-interchangeable types of ammo?

I also learned that the MK-30-2 is a gas operated gun, rather than externally operated, which could be problematic for a dual feeding system. Is it an issue?
AFAIK all of those questions are yet to be answered, although Army seem to at least have been happy to go with the Mk30-2 for the Boxer CRV. How this will play out down the track remains to be seen, since the variety of 30mm x 173mm ammunition it uses is apparently a bit of an orphan.

Bradbad

Good day and welcome to the Forum

I note you attraction to South African kit and agree they have produced some interesting gear. However, you need to justify your claims as to why the gear is better. In respect of the G6 you need to explain how it would 'obliterate' the K9 rather than just being flippant and demeaning.

The folk responding to you have experience in this area. Can you please justify how you are qualified to make the claims you make.

If you are not qualified you need to moderate your remarks.

A response is expected.
I was a Key Accounts Manager for a large Dairy company. So I negotiated pricing and promotions with all the major retail and wholesale accounts in the country, along with trading terms. This at Head Office level dealing with Buyers at the most senior level. I also was responsible, for demand planning or forecasting. I have followed the Denel product brochures for years , and information derived from their website , Wikipedia and SAAB sites for years. Have connections at Sightspan. worked ad hoc for Sightspan on their initial approach to the Scentre Group. I also have a degree in marketing.

In respect of the G6, you need to explain how it would 'obliterate' the K9 rather than just being flippant and demeaning. Well if currently, they were to meet in a battle somewhere, THe G-6 would outgun the K-9, in terms of range in both artillery and vehicle ranges. , has better protection. The K 9 with its auto loading 10 sidekick on the battle field is gonna be a problem. Hence the move away from towed howitzers. Now add to this that we are talking 1980's technology here. Not '98 or 2000's here. I am sure there may other systems that could be built catering to countries needs. Like a C-RAM system, longer-range going forward. in terms of artillery and vehicle. Reducing crew components from 3 to 2 etc. Denel and all its iterations are State-sponsored, therefore give them an order and see if they can deliver!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I was a Key Accounts Manager for a large Dairy company. So I negotiated pricing and promotions with all the major retail and wholesale accounts in the country, along with trading terms. This at Head Office level dealing with Buyers at the most senior level. I also was responsible, for demand planning or forecasting. I have followed the Denel product brochures for years , and information derived from their website , Wikipedia and SAAB sites for years. Have connections at Sightspan. worked ad hoc for Sightspan on their initial approach to the Scentre Group. I also have a degree in marketing.

In respect of the G6, you need to explain how it would 'obliterate' the K9 rather than just being flippant and demeaning. Well if currently, they were to meet in a battle somewhere, THe G-6 would outgun the K-9, in terms of range in both artillery and vehicle ranges. , has better protection. The K 9 with its auto loading 10 sidekick on the battle field is gonna be a problem. Hence the move away from towed howitzers. Now add to this that we are talking 1980's technology here. Not '98 or 2000's here. I am sure there may other systems that could be built catering to countries needs. Like a C-RAM system, longer-range going forward. in terms of artillery and vehicle. Reducing crew components from 3 to 2 etc. Denel and all its iterations are State-sponsored, therefore give them an order and see if they can deliver!
Your qualifications are not those of a defence professional so you are an enthusiast rather than someone who has subject knowledge. The Moderators will have a discussion about what sanctions that we feel we should impose on you for your disregarding of the forum rules.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 1 of 2: Debunking Artillery & Industrial Base Falsehoods

Hell the world and his oyster could be delivered by then.

whereas the G _6 Rhino of SPH of which only 150 ever built would currently obliterate the K9 and pZH 2000 till about 2030...

The K9 with its auto loading side kick which will double its weight , length and cost is just not feasible and laughable.

This from a country supposedly an ally, yet maligned by institutions and countries it helped save countless lives with its IP, mainly through its MRAP technology is sickening.
1. @Bradbad, in the 1st Gulf War, it was demonstrated by the Americans that the era of howitzer vs howitzer battles is over. For the US led coalition, a total, 43 artillery battalions (with 296 howitzers) and 7 MLRS battalions were available to support 53 maneuver battalions (19 tank, 16 mechanized infantry, and 18 infantry). The VII Corps deployed in Nov 1990, and became the main effort for the planned ground offensive. The VII Corps received 4 field artillery brigades to support operations, with a mixture of 155mm and 203mm howitzers, and MLRS.
(a) Saddam’s 200 GHN-45 155mm artillery guns may have been formidable on paper but they still lost the counter-battery fight. The effectiveness of joint fires depends not only on the precision of the guns, but also on the quality of intelligence.​
(b) In Operation Desert Storm coalition forces rarely came under accurate or sustained fires. When they did, the point of origin was usually acquired quickly and neutralized by one of many available fire support systems within striking distance. Throughout Operation Desert Storm, the Iraqis had demonstrated an inability to adjust or integrate fires, negating any advantages they held in range or quantities of artillery.​
(c) Modern counter-battery work is a battle of the OODA loop of the DSC that provide responsive C4ISR and weapon location to its artillery brigade and air force (and artillery may not be the force of choice to attack enemy SPHs on the move). To put it more simply, to shorten the sensor shooter cycle. Therefore, detection of enemy using sensors and recce forces (like UAVs, LRRPs, forward air controllers and forward observers), that fan out and relay information to the Division Strike Centre (DSC) is the way forward for Australia or Singapore.​
(d) From 10 to 27 May 2008, the South African National Defence Force saw first hand Singapore’s DSC at work in Lohatla — as a Singaporean, I am grateful to South Africa for allowing the SAF to continue to train there and learn from their army.​
Not '98 or 2000's here. I am sure there may other systems that could be built catering to countries needs. Like a C-RAM system, longer-range going forward. in terms of artillery and vehicle. Reducing crew components from 3 to 2 etc. Denel and all its iterations are State-sponsored, therefore give them an order and see if they can deliver!
(e) Due to years of under-investment, Denel and South Africa’s defence industry has lost some capability; and it is not realistic to ask them to suddenly deliver competitive weapon systems in the manner you expect.​
  • The market for C-RAM system, for example, is saturated; Denel Dynamics’ Cheetah C-RAM system at technology readiness level TRL 4, is interesting but non operational idea for demanding users (i.e. not technologically mature for use outside of an experimental setting), as it is targeted for use in future UN peacekeeping missions. More importantly, Cheetah in certain missions, is inferior to Saab’s Ground-Based Air Defence (GBAD) and C-RAM solutions used by the ADF — namely, the Giraffe AMB radar and RBS 70 combo.
  • When matured to technology readiness level TRL 7, in the late 2020s, Cheetah at that time may meet the UN or South African National Defence Force’s future needs but not the current war fighting needs of the SAF, who bought the ELM-2311 weapon locating radar, to replace Singapore’s older Swedish ARTHUR radar (that was deployed to Afghanistan).
  • The SAF is demanding because of its high end needs. Mounted on a Bronco for tracked mobility, the ELM-2311 weapon locating radar needs to out range, target and hunt the enemy’s Swedish ARTHUR radar weapon locating radars.
(f) Singapore does buy the design of the Marauder MRAP from South Africa (rebranded as Belrex) but not the higher end stuff that requires high levels of automation or lots of programming. For MRAPs, Singapore uses South African IP to develop the 10 variants of the Belrex Protected Vehicle (which we have the right to resell anywhere). In particular, the Belrex SRAMs 120mm mortar carrier has export potential (as it replaces all towed mortar in the SAF).​

2. We know that South Africa with an annual defence budget of US$4.28 billion has not invested as much as Singapore or Australia in their DSC; if a South African G6 fires a round at a capable army (with a DSC like that of Singapore or Australia), you can count the minutes before it is hunted down, even on the move, and destroyed.

3. The key roles of the DSC are, as follows:

(a) Strike Orchestration. DSC conducts strike operations against targets such as artillery platforms, Multiple Rocket Systems (MRS) and GBAD, to shape the battlefield by reducing threats to our land and air assets.​
(b) Counter-Fire Capability. Weapon Locating Radars (WLRs) may be deployed to accurately locate artillery projectiles and rockets within seconds. Upon detection, DSC orders counter-fires which are immediately processed and transmitted directly to pre-determined shooter platforms. The entire process, from detection to firing the first shot can be effected within minutes.​
(c) Synchronisation with Air and Naval Fires. Besides co-ordinating fire for the Army, the DSC also synchronises with shooters from the Air Force and Navy so as to deliver a more lethal kill.​

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

YOU ARE BANNED FOR ONE MONTH FROM TODAY FOR NOT FOLLOWING FORUM RULES AND DISRESPECTING DEFENCE PROFESSIONALS WHO ACTUALLY ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE TOPIC. THIS IS NON NEGOTIABLE.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 2 of 2: Debunking G6 Fanboy Falsehoods

The G-6 would outgun the K-9, in terms of range in both artillery and vehicle ranges. , has better protection.
4. Bullshit! I have explained earlier that what you wrote is false and you are again regurgitating fanboy bullshit (without understanding the differences on the different types of artillery systems in the market that I explained in detail in my prior post).

(a) The in-service G6 carried 45 rounds and had a 155 mm/45 calibre gun. The in-service K-9A1 carries 48 rounds and has a 155mm/52 calibre gun; which means the Korean gun has a longer range, when firing the same ammo.​
(b) The South Africans have an experimental version of the G-6 that matches the Korean gun in length. But this design is not compliant with NATO standards and is not being offered for sale. You don’t count the ranges achieved by experimental systems. If you did, then on 19 Dec 2020, the US Army’s Extended Range Cannon Artillery (ERCA) system under development hit a target 70 km — on the nose at Yuma Proving Ground, Arizona, using an Excalibur extended-range guided artillery shell, is the longest ranged system.​
(c) The 46 ton G-6’s recoil damping is poorer and weight of the gun (by itself is heavier than the K-9A1’s gun), means the chassis is likely to offer a lower level of protection against artillery shell fragments for its weight (and its STANAG 4569 protection level is not disclosed).​

5. The 50 ton K-9A1 can fire its first round within 30 seconds from the moment it first receives firing information from the Fire Direction Center (FDC) while in emplaced situation. While moving, it can fire after 60 seconds. After firing, K-9A1 can quickly move away from its last position in anticipation of the enemy’s counter fire, before firing its next shot.

6. I dislike debunking fanboy bullshit multiple times. The bulk of South Africa’s ‘80s era G-6s are currently in storage. The modern Korean system has the ability to shoot and scoot faster than the G6 (as the modern Korean gun laying system and its FDC linkage is seamless, compared to the older South African system).

7. In the terrain the AS9 SPH and the AS10 AARV are expected to operate, they have better off road capability, as tracks have lower ground pressure than tires — enabling less predictable movement to avoid IEDs, thereby offering better protection.
(a) The AS9 SPH carries 48 rounds and their associated charges; and is resupplied by the AS10AARV that carries another 104 rounds. Based on expected CONOPS, these vehicles can deliver more rounds in direct support between each resupply.​
(b) It is expected that an Australian gun battery, in high intensity operations, will run out of rounds before it runs out of fuel. The minor difference to vehicle driving range can be negated by 2 jerry cans of fuel.​

8. The Korean system also offers faster reloads; and can enable the automated tracking of ammo type used, which means a more responsive gun battery.

Last edited:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Wouldn't be a bad set up. It would open up the question of holding onto existing RBS70 launchers when NASAMS comes online, but I don't know how practical that would be. Something like Stinger (or its successor) strikes me as less bulky and possibly more suited to being distributed throughout the land force(?).
I would imagine, that if integration has been performed as has been alluded to, than the targetting system and FCS needed would be present in the vehicle, as far as the current elements of RBS-70 capability, perhaps the idea is that only the tubes and missiles themselves would be required to enable such a capability?

On-board AESA for alerting and cueing, built in laser spot tracker for targetting and manual missile control, just need the missiles now...

Boagrius

I would imagine, that if integration has been performed as has been alluded to, than the targetting system and FCS needed would be present in the vehicle, as far as the current elements of RBS-70 capability, perhaps the idea is that only the tubes and missiles themselves would be required to enable such a capability?

On-board AESA for alerting and cueing, built in laser spot tracker for targetting and manual missile control, just need the missiles now...
Gotcha. I'm just thinking it would be sensible to maintain a dismounted MANPAD capability as well - mostly for distributed protection against OPFOR rotary wing, and Type 2 & 3 UAS (US Army classification). A portable system like Stinger might be a better fit here, as it could be more readily stowed and transported in our vehicles(?). The fact that its successor is slated to be backwards compatible with the Stinger Vehicle Universal Launcher strikes me as attractive too. I must confess the timing is awkward, since Stinger is on the way out but its replacement is not ready yet. Meanwhile RBS70 is a known quantity that has been in service with us for years.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

@OPSSG Facts and logic go brrrrrr...

Yeah, those shoot and scoot times you've presented on the K9 aren't ideal, but then many can make pretty significant alterations to the presented time based on how many things are considered ready from the get go during presentations. e.g, does the SPH begin deploying when the firing data is already loaded, or do you present it when it has to both deploy and wait for data.

But I can really appreciate Hanwha's new approach to exports. Instead of doing development for the local market and then presentation abroad, it does development for every customer individually, and then leverages it for the low cost market.
Not because it allows them to succeed in a market full of overly traditionally thinking companies, but because it makes the whole AFV field a whole lot more interesting and exotic for my personal selfish amusement.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OPSSG Facts and logic go brrrrrr...
I get what you say. :)
those shoot and scoot times you've presented on the K9 aren't ideal, but then many can make pretty significant alterations to the presented time based on how many things are considered ready from the get go during presentations.
No argument from me; and in real life, armies also don’t work that fast. Typically, an experienced FO sends a 45 second, 3 part "call for fire"; and it may take another 10 to 15 secs to do a one-round adjustment, before the next step — an order for ‘fire for effect’ can be given — it is normal to take 3 to 5 mins to get from ‘call for fire’, to rounds ‘fire for effect’, which is much longer than the stated gun cycle time.

But I can really appreciate Hanwha's new approach to exports. Instead of doing development for the local market and then presentation abroad, it does development for every customer individually, and then leverages it for the low cost market.
The Koreans are aggressive and smart.

Not because it allows them to succeed in a market full of overly traditionally thinking companies, but because it makes the whole AFV field a whole lot more interesting and exotic for my personal selfish amusement.
Yes.

Last edited: