ADF General discussion thread

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Australia is sending AFP and ADF personnel to the Solomon Islands at the request of the Solomon Islands Government after unrest over the last few days !

Hopefully all will be safe and a small deployment to help restore public order !

cdxbow

Australia is sending AFP and ADF personnel to the Solomon Islands at the request of the Solomon Islands Government after unrest over the last few days !

Hopefully all will be safe and a small deployment to help restore public order !
More festering sores.
I thought this was a terrific article about the problems in Melanesia - No short-term solution to Solomon Islands strife | The Strategist (aspistrategist.org.au) It certainly reflected my concerns re their PM and how trouble seems to follow him around. Also the irony of him being opposed to RAMSI a decade or so ago, to asking quickly for Australian intervention on this occasion.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
And another festering sore that may erupt into a boil on Macron's arse, creating problems in the region. The French don't do decolonisation well at the best of times and Macron wants the third vote of the binding referendum held this December for domestic French politic reasons - his re-election. However in New Caledonia, local conditions such as COVID-19 will impact in the ability for a fair vote. The whole deal could unravel and civil war could break out.

New Caledonia Vote Threatens Peaceful Change | Newsroom

cdxbow

And another festering sore that may erupt into a boil on Macron's arse, creating problems in the region. The French don't do decolonisation well at the best of times and Macron wants the third vote of the binding referendum held this December for domestic French politic reasons - his re-election. However in New Caledonia, local conditions such as COVID-19 will impact in the ability for a fair vote. The whole deal could unravel and civil war could break out.

New Caledonia Vote Threatens Peaceful Change | Newsroom
In the current geostrategic environment, all these are situations which could lead to meddling from our large friend to the north.

Gryphinator

Until last year I would have pushed for us to help West Papua with independence just like East Timor, but now we need Indonesia. Bit of a catch 22. I feel we are closing our eyes and hoping for the best.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Until last year I would have pushed for us to help West Papua with independence just like East Timor, but now we need Indonesia. Bit of a catch 22. I feel we are closing our eyes and hoping for the best.
Australia has always need Indonesia, especially since the CCP / PRC have started being bolshie and obnoxious. Don't forget that works both ways as well. Yes West Papua is a problem but you could sheet home some of the blame for that to the Dutch.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This article from the Diplomat fills in some more detail about the events that led to the riots. Foreign Intervention Complicates Solomon Islands Unrest – The Diplomat The author documents the role of the PRC in the initiation of the troubles, but doesn't feel our intervention is wise. She is as unimpressed as I am with the PM.
The current government of the Solomon Islands is the legitimate and recognised government. It has made a request to Canberra, Wellington and other PIF capitals for assistance which all have either responded to by providing assistance or, in the case of Wellington, are assessing the request. Whilst there are claims of CCP / PRC interference in Solomon Islands internal affairs, and I strongly suspect that those claims are valid, they are not relevant to the mission of the forces on the ground in the Solomon Islands.

cdxbow

The current government of the Solomon Islands is the legitimate and recognised government. It has made a request to Canberra, Wellington and other PIF capitals for assistance which all have either responded to by providing assistance or, in the case of Wellington, are assessing the request. Whilst there are claims of CCP / PRC interference in Solomon Islands internal affairs, and I strongly suspect that those claims are valid, they are not relevant to the mission of the forces on the ground in the Solomon Islands.
I don't think I have argued otherwise. It's appropriate for Oz to respond to the request. The current PM has been in the middle of trouble quite a few times already, enough to form a pattern. I expect we will have a lot more from him.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think I have argued otherwise. It's appropriate for Oz to respond to the request. The current PM has been in the middle of trouble quite a few times already, enough to form a pattern. I expect we will have a lot more from him.
Well lets keep Australian politics out of it. We do have a no politics rule unless it specifically refers to defence, and your gripes do not refer to defence.

Last Saturday the Leader of the Opposition in the Solomon Islands Parliament tabled a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister. It is supposed to be debated within seven days and will be debated at some stage next week.

Parliament Resumes Today - Solomon Times Online

New Zealand is sending a force comprising of 65 NZDF and NZ Police personnel. An advance party of 15 head over tomorrow with the rest following in the weekend.

Solomon Islands crisis: New Zealand sends troops and police to assist with humanitarian crisis looming - NZ Herald

cdxbow

Well lets keep Australian politics out of it. We do have a no politics rule unless it specifically refers to defence, and your gripes do not refer to defence.

Last Saturday the Leader of the Opposition in the Solomon Islands Parliament tabled a motion of no confidence in the Prime Minister. It is supposed to be debated within seven days and will be debated at some stage next week.

Parliament Resumes Today - Solomon Times Online

New Zealand is sending a force comprising of 65 NZDF and NZ Police personnel. An advance party of 15 head over tomorrow with the rest following in the weekend.

Solomon Islands crisis: New Zealand sends troops and police to assist with humanitarian crisis looming - NZ Herald
You have misinterpreted, I have made no mention of Oz politics, I was referring to the Solomon's PM. He's trouble. He has been trouble in the past and will be more trouble in the future.