ADF General discussion thread

Rock the kasbah

Looks like an opportunity if the beers flowing.

Tell them all the traditional stuff is history and that we have a secret project to develop a special outer planet space division of infantry that will descend from above to reek havoc on the unexpected below

All very hush, hush of course and cannot go into details.

Top secret and all

Regards S
Do appreciate that but you're not helping

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My apologies all
The boys at the pub have asked me about the ADF land forces WRT whether it's an army or division or?????
I tried Google but to be honest I got lost in the algebra of military terms etc.
I noticed we have lancers though wtf ?
We have Lancers, Light Horse, Mounted Rifles and Cavalry units…

All so named for historical reasons. They are all Royal Australian Armoured Corps units these days and depending on role and unit operate as primary capabilities - G Wagen, Hawkei, Bushmaster, M113AS4, ASLAV, M1A1 Abrams or Boxer…

Rock the kasbah

Well we got it back
It wasn't an f35
And we are whipping the poms in the cricket
So let's just call it a win, win, win situation

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well we got it back
It wasn't an f35
And we are whipping the poms in the cricket
So let's just call it a win, win, win situation
That's beside the point. It's expended ordinance that may or may not still be live, hence being a danger. It's not inside the established testing range either, so that raise range safety questions. Finally it landed in an area of significant cultural heritage and that creates problems as well. Hence it's not something that is a win win situation.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Sounds like a lot, but in reality is only enough for about 100 loadouts on Apache.
If things get hot, 100 sorties isn't much
MB
Apache is a way off yet, so don't get too excited :) also depends what we have in stock already. And you are not expending your complete load out every sortie either :)

Stampede

Apache is a way off yet, so don't get too excited :) also depends what we have in stock already. And you are not expending your complete load out every sortie either :)
I think the time table for Apache is for first deliveries in 2025 with 12 to be available by 2026.

Looks ambitious but with good support from the US it could all happen.

Disregard the MRH and light helicopter paragraph.

Regards S

PS I had a more up to date link that is now lost.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Indeed, but Apache will not be the only platform carrying Hellfire missiles.
These will have to be shared around as well
Possibly be shared around, but the DSCA specifically states "This proposed sale will improve Australia’s capability to meet current and future threats by enhancing the Australian Army’s armed reconnaissance and anti-tank warfare mission capabilities" So just going by the statement in the request :)

Cheers

Takao

The Bunker Group
AGM-114R is going to be (has already become) the only Hellfire model. Tiger's were brought with Mike models, the general purpose model, although could fire Kilo's (anti-tank) or Novembers (thermobaric) with no issues or software changes.

The Romeo replaces all three with a multi-mode warhead. It needs software changes because of the warhead selectability -although only minor ones for M299 launchers (which we put onto Tiger). We did Romeo certification years ago onto Tiger.

Bottom line, if you want an AGM-114 today, it's going to be a Romeo.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Which of course the MH60R can also utilise. The RAN already has stocks of the Romeo if memory serves although I'm sure others will have a better knowledge of that than I do.

Milne Bay

Which of course the MH60R can also utilise. The RAN already has stocks of the Romeo if memory serves although I'm sure others will have a better knowledge of that than I do.
Yes, and of course the MQ-9B SkyGuardian UCAVs can also utilise them, but I think that those will be operated by the RAAF.
MB

InterestedParty

My wife's family has been badly affected by the latest typhoon in the Philippines, called by the local name of "Odette". People are in desperate need of food, water, shelter, medical supplies and relocation
We have 12 C-27s apparently now tasked with HADR work.
Could this perhaps be an opportunity for us to put them to use while flying the flag for Australia.
I presume we have to wait until asked for assistance but it has been a week already

STURM

Over the past few years there have been occasions when the Philippines government has requested foreign assistance following natural disasters.

My guess is that this time around they have it under control or are able to manage it by themselves. Also, the problem might be not so much a lack of supplies but actually getting those supplies into affected areas, for which helicopters would be the main means.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My wife's family has been badly affected by the latest typhoon in the Philippines, called by the local name of "Odette". People are in desperate need of food, water, shelter, medical supplies and relocation
We have 12 C-27s apparently now tasked with HADR work.
Could this perhaps be an opportunity for us to put them to use while flying the flag for Australia.
I presume we have to wait until asked for assistance but it has been a week already
Yes for HADR you have to be invited in before you can be involved. There's nothing to stop you planning and preparing, but the government of the afflicted country still has to invite you in.

InterestedParty

The Philippines is now asking for international assistance according to ABS-CBN TV news bulletins
Interesting to see what we do, they mentioned approaching the usual friendly countries, plus Qatar but no specific mention of Australia

buffy9

The Philippines is now asking for international assistance according to ABS-CBN TV news bulletins
Interesting to see what we do, they mentioned approaching the usual friendly countries, plus Qatar but no specific mention of Australia
I'm sure there are no barriers to assistance, the relationship is still strong and I see no reason for Australia to decline should it be requested (or vice versa). My heart goes out to all those affected.