Vietnam on Monday received the second of two Russian-made guided missile frigates, local media reported, boosting its naval firepower amid maritime tensions with China.
The Gepard class frigate — which an analyst called Vietnam’s most modern warship — arrived at Cam Ranh port on the country’s south-central coast, reports said.
The first frigate reached Vietnam in March, state-controlled Tuoi Tre newspaper said.
“It alters the naval game,” said Carl Thayer, a veteran Australia-based analyst of Vietnam. “A boat of that kind provides muscle for Vietnam.”
Beijing and Hanoi have a long-standing territorial dispute over the Paracel and Spratly archipelagos, which are potentially rich in oil and gas deposits and straddle vital commercial shipping lanes.
Relations reached their lowest point in years when Vietnam in May accused Chinese marine surveillance vessels of cutting the exploration cables of an oil survey ship inside the country’s exclusive economic zone.
Vietnamese fishermen working in disputed waters have reported numerous seizures of their catch and equipment in recent years.
Thayer said the new helicopter-capable frigates will back up the fishermen with a more powerful vessel than the lightly-armed civilian-run Chinese surveillance ships.
Other nations in the region have also accused China in recent months of becoming more aggressive in enforcing its claims to essentially all of the South China Sea.
The Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan have also staked claims to the Spratlys.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Navy contemplating CVN. Folly or Vision?
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- F-35 - International Participation
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Philippine Navy @ Janes Fighting Ships 2014-2015