International Army News Thread

Haavarla

Seems Norway has order an upgrade and proccurment package from Sweeden on the current CV-90 and an deal on new CV-90 as well.

"According to the MoD, the total value of the project is estimated to be less than NOK10bn ($1.74bn). Deliveries are scheduled to start in 2013 and are to be completed by 2018."

Norwegian Army to buy new CV90 IFVs from BAE - Army Technology

I think this is a good decision.
Having several friends whom served in Stan.
The overall view of the CV 90 are very good.

I wonder if the CV 90 will get any systems like this?:

Remote Weapon Stations: It

This system is also combat proven in Stan, i have tried a similar system(sea protector) mounted on maritime patrol craft. Its a very effective system.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Norwegian MoD has signed a NOK 4 Billion deal to upgrade its Leo MBT, and to get some new Anti Air system.

Regjeringen smeller til med opprustning av tanks-parken - TV2.no

I'm not sure, but i think this is a Scandinavian effort and they might all do the same kind of upgrade.

Do anyone have any clue what kind of upgrade we are talking about on the Leo's?
Its says improved targeting, com and armour etc etc

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Found bit difficulty to find appropriate thread, so I used this thread to put link to video in YouTube on Serbian New 155mm gun call Titan Mass. I don't know yet if this's already in production, but the video shown good concept for fully automatic 155mm gun.

Seems Serbia keep trying to put their Defense Industry work with new concept for both domestic and export market.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Found bit difficulty to find appropriate thread, so I used this thread to put link to video in YouTube on Serbian New 155mm gun call Titan Mass. I don't know yet if this's already in production, but the video shown good concept for fully automatic 155mm gun.

Seems Serbia keep trying to put their Defense Industry work with new concept for both domestic and export market.
A lot of pressure on that pintle. I wonder what it's time between failures is.

t68

I didn't know where to place this as its not an MBT, but am really curious about its dual track set up v functionality. I thought of the old half tracks and there steer wheels with tracked rear, what are the benefits of such a system?

I do not know enough about it if the front steers independently like a normal tracked vehicle or if it actually turns. has any one seen anything similar to this?

Complete system demonstrator for a future airmobile weapon carrier (esut.de)

closets i have seen some thing that steers is snowmobile conversions

Turn Your Car Into a Snowmobile With Track N Go - YouTube

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I didn't know where to place this as its not an MBT, but am really curious about its dual track set up v functionality. I thought of the old half tracks and there steer wheels with tracked rear, what are the benefits of such a system?

I do not know enough about it if the front steers independently like a normal tracked vehicle or if it actually turns. has any one seen anything similar to this?

Complete system demonstrator for a future airmobile weapon carrier (esut.de)

closets i have seen some thing that steers is snowmobile conversions

Turn Your Car Into a Snowmobile With Track N Go - YouTube
Yes I thought of half tracks immediately as well. But you have to wonder why? I do suppose that being tracked it will cover almost any terrain but it looks complicated and I would image more opportunity for things to go wrong. Why wouldn't you go with just the basic single track either side which has worked well for the last 100+ years. Less things to go wrong. I know it's in the German DNA to over engineer things, but this is more over engineered than the Tiger Tank was.

Sandhi Yudha

According to Lieutenant General Muhoozi Kainerugaba, commander of its land forces, the Chui 4×4 armoured vehicle, “was fully designed and manufactured in Uganda”.
But in fact its a South-African Twiga Nyati built under licence.

It is unclear how many Chuis will be ordered and build.

walter

Dutch tank crew still at the top

28 October 2021 | 09:56

TEXT DELETED.

@walter I am sure that we have had this conversation before.
  • Post the link to the original article. It is a requirement of the rules.
  • Copying and pasting of articles without providing original comment is also against the rules.
  • Copying and pasting of a full article without the original copyright owners permission is a breach of international copyright law and IP law.
You have been on here long enough to know the rules. The text is removed because of the above breaches and any further repeats of this behaviour will result in Moderators consideration of stronger sanctions against you. 9 demerit points for 3 months.

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Taiwan IFV program Clouded Leopard 105mm gun version seems will be entering production stage soon. Taiwan just like in this IFV or in Submarine more and more looking for foreign 'consulting' team to do the indigenous defense assets Project.

Moreover more Western vendors willing to do the 'consulting' Projects with ROC. Something that seems more Western firm willing to take a chance with CCP wrath. After all it's only 'consulting' Projects, and not directly supply ROC.

Sandhi Yudha

According to the Serbian Ministry of Defense at the end of December 2021, Serbia will spend € 1.000.000.000 in 2022 to increase the defense capabilities of its armed forces.

In 2022, the Serbian army will receive more indigenous made military equipment and combat vehicles including 18 LAZAR 8x8 armored vehicles, 20 M16 Miloš 4x4 light armored vehicles, and 10 6x6 M20 MRAP, but also a lot of foreign defence systems.

Sandhi Yudha

A very educative video about the ReSTART-procedure. I don't know if this is only a Norwegian procedure or quite common worldwide.

BskrCrew

Reading between the lines of defense expenditure and the purchase of new fighting vehicles – what’s next on the horizon?

Defense budgets and equipment upgrades are a big area of discussion for governments across the globe, with the reasons for each individual nation’s decision being shrouded in mystery, for national security reasons.

Not all upgrades hold so much importance though. For instance, some vehicles may just be retiring from decades of service – like the British Army’s Warrior AFV.

Still, a shift in vehicle focus may also signal a change in defense policies – leading to a reduction in deployment in certain terrain/territories.

These were the thoughts that plagued me as I read an article by Forces Net (link below). Are these retirements as plain as a tenure running out, or is there more to it?

What do you think next generation AFVs need to feature to swiftly and decisively conquer tomorrow’s frontlines?
Screenshot_20220124-173424_Word.jpg

Image: The Boxer MIV - Part of the British Army's fleet. Though it doesn't look much, but like most armoured vehicles, it can be upgraded and be developed into multiple variants. Take the Australian Defence Forces' Boxer IFVs: By and large the same chassis, but fitted with a 30mm x 173 MK30-2/ABM autocannon.

Article: British Army Vehicles: What's Their Future?

Last edited:

STURM

Instead of creating a new thread; I decided to post my army related questions here.

1. Is there any particular reason HALO/HAHO jumpers exit from the aircraft, via the ramp, with their backs towards the sky rather than facing it? Like they would on a static jump.
2. SACLOS/wire guided missiles. When a missile is loaded into its launcher how does the wire guidance on the missile actually connect to the launcher?
3. What was the primary reason stick grenades have been largely done way with? Due to their size and bulk perhaps? As far as I know the last stick grenade user was the Soviet Union which still had them up to the mid or late 1980's [pics appeared in several places]. Unless I'm mistaken the only advantage a stick grenade has is the ability to be hurled for longer distances.

Sandhi Yudha

Whatever happen in East-Ukraine, the US has already won........ a $6 billion deal!

Its quite a complete package :
|"The Government of Poland has requested to buy two hundred fifty (250) M1A2SEPv3 Abrams Main Battle tanks; two hundred fifty (250) AN/VLQ-12 CREW Duke counter-IED systems; twenty-six (26) M88A2 HERCULES Combat Recovery vehicles; seventeen (17) M1110 joint assault bridges; two hundred seventy-six (276) M2 .50 caliber machine guns; five hundred (500) M240C 7.62mm machine guns; fifteen (15) AGT1500 gas turbine engines; nine thousand one hundred sixty-eight (9,168) 120mm M865 Target Practice, Cone Stabilized, Discarding Sabot - Tracer (TPCSDS-T) cartridges; four thousand five hundred ninety-two (4,592) 120mm M1002 Target Practice Multipurpose Tracer (TPMP-T) projectiles; thirteen thousand nine hundred twenty (13,920) 120mm M830A1 High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) TP-T cartridges; and six thousand nine hundred sixty (6,960) 120mm XM1147 High Explosive multipurpose tracers. Also included are forward repair systems; trailer mounted generators; Common Remote Operated Weapons Station Low Profile (CROWS-LP); communications equipment; GPS receivers; ammunition; spare and repair parts; Special Tools and Test Equipment (STTE); technical manuals and publications; maintenance trainers; gunnery training systems; tank driver’s trainers; new equipment training; U.S. Government and contractor technical, engineering, and logistics personnel services; and other related elements of logistics and program support. The total estimated program cost is $6.0 billion."|

Chaldry

I get why they went with the M1 Abrams from a geopolitical point of view, but wouldn't it have made more sense logistically to acquire A7 Leopards?

STURM

Perhaps for their needs, they see the M-1 as more suitable operational wise and it also binds them closer to the U.S.

The problem is they'll have Leos, M-1s,
T-72s/PT-91s and M-1s. Unless they plan to replace the T-72/PT-91s when the M-1s arrive.

Last edited:

Big_Zucchini

I get why they went with the M1 Abrams from a geopolitical point of view, but wouldn't it have made more sense logistically to acquire A7 Leopards?
The US IS NATO. Any Leopard user's presence would be dwarfed by American one, particularly when it comes to the defense of eastern Europe.

So if we think who is going to operate alongside Poland in the same theater, the Abrams is definitely the one to match.

STURM

The US IS NATO. Any Leopard user's presence would be dwarfed by American one, particularly when it comes to the defense of eastern Europe.
That's certainly true but it can also be pointed out that operating Leos also has its advantages from a commonality/training perspective. In the event of a sudden Russian thrust into Poland, chances are it will be Bundeswher Leos in numbers in Poland before U.S. M-1s arrive in numbers.

The decision to get M-1s was probably driven by a combination of political and operational factors.