Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today hosted Qatar’s Minister of State for Defense Affairs Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah at the Pentagon to sign letters of offer and acceptance for Apache helicopters and Patriot and Javelin defense systems valued at $11 billion.
“Today’s signing ceremony underscores the strong partnership between the United States and Qatar in the area of security and defense and will help improve our bilateral cooperation across a range of military operations,” Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said in a statement.
Hagel also used the meeting to express his appreciation for the support that Qatar provides U.S. forces in the country, the statement said. Today’s visit followed Hagel’s visit to Qatar’s capital of Doha last fall, where he met with Attiyah to sign and renew the U.S.-Qatar Defense Cooperation Agreement.
“This is a critically important relationship in the region,” Kirby said, “and the secretary is pleased to be able to continue to make it stronger.”
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Indonesian Aero News
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates