Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today hosted Qatar’s Minister of State for Defense Affairs Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah at the Pentagon to sign letters of offer and acceptance for Apache helicopters and Patriot and Javelin defense systems valued at $11 billion.
“Today’s signing ceremony underscores the strong partnership between the United States and Qatar in the area of security and defense and will help improve our bilateral cooperation across a range of military operations,” Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said in a statement.
Hagel also used the meeting to express his appreciation for the support that Qatar provides U.S. forces in the country, the statement said. Today’s visit followed Hagel’s visit to Qatar’s capital of Doha last fall, where he met with Attiyah to sign and renew the U.S.-Qatar Defense Cooperation Agreement.
“This is a critically important relationship in the region,” Kirby said, “and the secretary is pleased to be able to continue to make it stronger.”
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Brazilian Naval Strength
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Mexico's military defense
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia tests new missiles
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- US Navy News and updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion