A total of 12 helicopters are to be delivered under a 2008 contract worth $150 million.
“The latest three machines were delivered on August 29,” said Igor Korotchenko, head of the Moscow-based Center for Analysis of Global Arms Trade.
“Brazil will receive the remaining three helicopters before the end of the year and the 2008 contract will be completed.”
The Mi-35M is an export version of the Mi-24 Hind that was used extensively in Afghanistan. The Mi-24/35 is unique among dedicated attack helicopters insofar as it can carry a load of troops, in addition to performing its offensive role.
The Sao Paulo-based newspaper Valor Economico previously reported that the Mi-35s would be used in the Amazon region, in conjunction with Brazil’s Embraer land and ground surveillance jets.
The Amazon region borders both Venezuela and Colombia, and is a prime location for transnational narco-terrorists and drug traffickers.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:gunship aircraft roles brazil
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Т-35A Up and Running
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- Singapore Navy
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- China invasion of Johnson Reef of Vietnam on March 14th 1988
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions
- Singapore Army Pictures
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion