Raytheon and Oshkosh, partnering with the U.S. Army and Navy, proved the maneuverability, integration and performance of the Mobile Land-Based Phalanx Weapon System during a recent live-fire demonstration.
The MLPWS integrates the combat-proven Centurion Land-Based Phalanx Weapon System on a Heavy Expanded Mobility Tactical Truck (HEMTT) A3. All functions of the Centurion design featuring the Phalanx Block 1B are maintained on the MLPWS, which provides a more flexible component to the U.S. Army’s Counter-Rocket, Artillery and Mortar initiative.
“We met or exceeded every objective of the demonstration,” said Diane Misiak, Raytheon’s Close-In Weapon Systems director.
“The system successfully tracked, engaged and destroyed nine inert mortars. MLPWS also maneuvered more than 28 miles on paved and off-road conditions without any damage to the system. All MLPWS functions were integrated with the HEMTT platform and performed flawlessly.”
In the MLPWS configuration, Phalanx uses a 20 mm M61A1 Gatling gun that fires M-940 self-destruct rounds at a rate of 4,500 shots per minute.
The system features an advanced search and track radar with closed-loop spotting technology that enables autonomous target detection and engagement. Phalanx can be interfaced with other sensors and systems to provide overarching protection of high-value sites on the ground.
The HEMTT A3 features revolutionary ProPulse diesel-electric drive technology that can improve fuel efficiency by at least 20 percent compared with other HEMTT models. An integrated generator can deliver more than 100 kilowatts of military-grade AC power for external operations. This advanced vehicle can climb a 60 percent grade, cross the most challenging terrain and achieve 65 mph on secondary roads.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Arms Race in Space
- F-35 - International Participation
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread