Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

United States Marine Corps

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by vonnoobie, Sep 1, 2016.

Share This Page

1. vonnoobie

vonnoobie Active Member

Couldnt find a USMC thread and figured the marines deserved there own one, For now I have put it in the army section but not 100% sure where it belong's considering the have similarities and ties to every branch (Air, Naval, Land).

Recently the USMC announced they would be experimenting with the squad size's which currently stand at 13, To my understanding the main experiment has to do with adding a 14th member that for the most part would be a dedicated UAV controller.

Personnaly I like the idea of that, A small man portable drone able to get intel quickly with out waiting on the chain of command is a very valuable capability and one that as an Aussie would like to see the ADF look at too.

My opinion aside, Is this a good or bad thing? I may have recently posted onto solomons SNAFU blog in regards to the future ACV and USMC squad sizes and set him off just a smidge :)

SNAFU!: USMC experimenting with Squad configuration. They're wrecking the ACV plan before its even selected!

Regards, vonnoobie.

2. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Just smudge you reckon:dance more like foaming at the mouth, why would anyone want to comment if some say thing they don't agree with.

With only having been in second line transport and not at the coal face, I can see the benifits of a small uav cam copter or similar of such being of value for an quick eye in the sky over you location for a better appretiontion over the Immediate battlefield.but they have to be very robust as they would most certantly get knocked around a it, I reading some time ago can't remember where or who used it but they had something similar wasn't a cam copter looked like the length of a football and fly around dammed if I can remember where I saw that

3. Mig-29M2

Mig-29M2 New Member

US Marine corps. amphibious assault vehicle to get upgrades.

The final test models of the upgraded AAVP-7 amphibious assault vehicle will soon be delivered to the US Marine Corps. The upgrades are being carried out by the Science Applications International Corp. (SAIC), and a whole new model expected in the coming year.

US Marine corps. amphibious assault vehicle to get upgrades

4. Feanor

Feanor Super Moderator Staff Member

Under your bed. No seriously, take a look.
    But it means 3 per platoon and that's quite a lot. Not only expensive, but how easy will it be for NCOs already directing 12 other marines in combat to also process and make use of this much live video feed. I can see the UAV operator becoming a regular riflemen with the UAV only seeing niche use in a few situations. Or possible one UAV per platoon being used regularly and the other two essentially being backups. I mean if it was my platoon, I'd say yes, all for it, I get 3 more bodies, and UAVs, that's great. But is it the best use of resources?

EDIT: Some more thoughts, I think it might be better to have a company-level UAV section that's attached to headquarters platoon (yes I know that's not supposed to be a thing, but come on they actually do exist). They could be used the same way weapons platoons are used, where they can be deployed together to provide extensive coverage or tasked out to platoons. Maybe have a section of 3 UAV teams, each with two operators and team leader. It would give you maximum flexibility, and the company level is rather close, so the UAVs would still be readily available.

5. ngatimozart

ngatimozart Super Moderator Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

Bell Boeing are developing a RO/RO aerial refueling capability for the USMC MV-22 Osprey, however they are taking the attitude with the MV-22 that everything is an option. They are also looking at an AEW capability, amongst others, as well which may be of interest to the USN because they apparently no longer have that capability. Both these capability sets may also be of interest to other navies such as the JMSDF, ROKN and I would have thought the RN but apparently they are taking the paring knife to the RM in order to save the RN by cutting costs. Outside chance could interest the RAN. Personally I have thought that the MV-22 would be the better platform for ship based AEW rather than a helicopter, because it offers greater range, speed and altitude.

6. Blue Jay

Blue Jay Member

I do recall also hearing about an ASW variant of the Osprey to fly off of the navy's flattops. The military also conducted self-funded tests of mounting a hydra rocket pods on the nose cheeks of the Osprey. I'm not sure how those two materialized, however, as it was a while ago. The platform does seem to be seeing a lot of consideration for a lot of different roles and capabilities.

7. ngatimozart

The USMC and US Army are testing the ability of suppressed rifles and machineguns (up to and including the M2 HB BMG) being standard issue for infantry. Apparently the suppressors cost around US$700 each so it would be expensive to kit out full battalions. Also they are testing to see how long the suppressors last ; apparently 1,500 -2,000 rounds is the average lifetime at the moment.
    The new stealth infantry: How suppressors will change battlefield tactics

8. STURM

STURM Well-Known Member

Thanks! That was very interesting reading.

In 'Fry The Brain: The Art of Urban Sniping and Its Role In Modern Guerrilla Warfare '' John West also mentions the possibility of equipping infantrymen [not just snipes and marksmen] with suppressors. He doesn't however look at the possibility of also fitting suppressors to GPMGs and HMGs as the USMC is doing.

9. ngatimozart

The new Commandant of the USMC has decided that the USMC requires the ability to sink ships helping the USN to secure island bases by providing A2AD in the Pacific much like it did during WW2 with artillery and ground based fighters.

At the Battle of Wake Island in December 1941, on 11/12/41 they sank the IJN destroyer Hayate by gunfire from 5 in guns and the IJN destroyer Kisaragi after a USMC Wildcat fighter dropped a couple of 100 lb (ca. 45 kg) bombs on it, damaged the flagship cruiser Yubari after hitting it with 5 in rounds, killed 200 Japanese troops, damaged several ships, and forced a withdrawal of Japanese forces whilst they called for IJN carrier support. Ultimately the Japanese conquered the island on 23/12/41, but they paid the price for it.

It is that type of strategy and capability that the Commandant wants to reintroduce to the Corp and using the likes of NSM, HIMARS, LRASM, LACM, 155 mm Excalibur rounds etc., shore based F-35B, he believes that he can achieve that. Certainly is a concept well worth investigating and would put the cat amongst the PRC pigeons.

State of the Marine Corps: Inside the Corps’ warplans to sink ships

Further Reading:
    The Next Pacific War: Lessons From Wake Island For The PLA

10. Ranger25

Ranger25 Active Member

Agreed. Inline with that strategy the USMC has begun practice one again of seizing remote islands and then quickly setting up offensive weapons and Refueling for the likes of their F35s.

seems like it fits well with their dispersed strategy. Would make it more difficult for The PLAN to find, fix, and destroy USMC operators and make transit of the first island chain a far greater challenge with the likes of HIMARS mounted LRASM/ASHM.

How to Seize Islands, Set Up a Forward Refueling Point: Marine Corps Recipes for Expeditionary Operations - USNI News

11. ngatimozart

Think it would be somewhat of a stretch to mount the LRASM in a HIMARS. It's larger than the NSM.