Northrop Grumman Corporation has been awarded a $50.6 million contract by prime contractor Huntington Ingalls Industries to supply the Machinery Control System (MCS) for the U.S. Navy’s LHA-7 amphibious assault ship.
The MCS controls the major shipboard systems including the highly automated propulsion, electric plant and fuel fill systems. The equipment being supplied includes 56 data acquisition units, 27 workstations and 1,125 fire sensors located throughout the vessel.
“This order affirms our customer’s confidence in our ability to design, integrate, test and deliver some of the Navy’s most sophisticated distributed control technology on platforms that have significantly reduced the Navy’s total ownership costs,” said Bill Hannon, vice president of Northrop Grumman Maritime Systems.
The work will be performed chiefly in Charlottesville and the MCS will be installed on the LHA-7 at HII’s shipyard in Pascagoula, Miss., before delivery to the Navy. Equipment deliveries are expected to begin in 2014 and continue into 2016, with installations to follow.
Northrop Grumman is the industry leader in MCS engineering, design and production for the world’s most advanced military platforms. The company is also under contract to supply and integrate the MCS for LHA-6, and previously supplied the MCS for LHD-8 and the integrated navigation and ship control system for the Coast Guard National Security Cutters, also built by HII at Pascagoula.
Northrop Grumman is a leading global security company providing innovative systems, products and solutions in unmanned systems, cybersecurity, C4ISR, and logistics and modernization to government and commercial customers worldwide.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:machinery control systems Navy
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Remote Weapon Station Project ( project mentor needed)
- Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force Thread
- Alternative sub propulsion tech?