Japan’s defence minister called on China Friday to explain why it needs an aircraft carrier, after Beijing sparked increased concerns over its military expansion by starting sea trials for the vessel.
“There is no doubt that it will have a big impact on the region,” he added.
China put the revamped Soviet-built aircraft carrier Varyag to sea on Wednesday, prompting the United States to call for an explanation.
Beijing has sought to play down the vessel’s capability, saying it will mainly be used for training and “research”.
In its annual defence report last week, Japan expressed concern over China’s growing assertiveness and widening naval reach in nearby waters and the Pacific and over what it called the “opaqueness” of Beijing’s military budget.
China criticized the report as “irresponsible”, insisting its drive to modernise its forces was entirely defensive.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- US Navy News and updates
- New escalation in Iranian nuclear issue?
- Does anybody know these vehicles
- Saudi Arabia where to next?
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- 2 helicopters rescue yacht crew in NC
- Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Self-defense options and needs from around the world