Israel’s Iron Dome missile defence system shot down a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip towards the southern city of Ashkelon on Thursday evening, media reports said.
Public radio and army radio both reported that there were no injuries or property damage.
They said another rocket fired by Gaza militants during the afternoon fell in open countryside.
The Israeli military could not immediately confirm either incident.
On Tuesday, Gaza’s Hamas rulers said they had redeployed a 600-strong special security force tasked with preventing cross-border rocket fire, after reports it had pulled the unit back two days before.
Hamas spokesman Islam Shahwan said then that the militant Islamic movement would “not allow the occupation (Israel) to break off the ceasefire” that ended an eight-day, full-scale conflict with the Jewish state in November 2012.
The Hamas force was deployed on January 21, but withdrawn at the weekend as a protest after four Israeli air strikes on Hamas training camps in the strip.
While Hamas itself does not routinely fire rockets, Israel says it holds the group, which seized power in Gaza in 2007, responsible for such attacks.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Mercedes-Benz Geländewagen the best jeep yet?
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- The forgotten battle in South China Sea Truong Sa Sea Battle
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- APC BTR -80 Overhauling /servicing WORKSHOP
- Singapore Navy
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Т-35A Up and Running