The fighters are assembled by India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) that has received a license from Russia’s Sukhoi aircraft maker.
“Since India received 50 assembled planes from Russia, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited had assembled another 134 fighters in India,” a source close to the Indian company told Itar-Tass on Monday. “We hope to form 14 squadrons of Su-30MKI fighters by 2018. By this time we will have 272 such planes in service.”
After this India might enlarge its backlog of orders, if the Sukhoi/HAL fifth generation fighter project or introduction into service of India’s own light fighter Tejas were delayed, the source said.
The Indian Air Force is expected to get its first squadron of Tejas in 2015 and the second one – in 2017. The project to build India’s Tejas fighters began in 1983. The plane made its maiden flight in January 2011.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:Indian air force in 2018, www 272su airforce com, India 2018 which wepons are joined in deffence, india usa defence in 2018, Indian airfource in 2018
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Ukranian Crisis
- Some newer stuff from me...so far
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- US Navy News and updates
- Singapore Navy
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'