Storm Shadow missiles are to be fitted to RAF Typhoon fast jets following a £120 million agreement signed today.
Storm Shadow, which provides long-range air to surface capabilities, is 1 of the most advanced missiles of its kind. It is capable of defeating various targets including bridges, airfields, harbours and parked aircraft.
The missiles, produced by MBDA, have previously been deployed on Tornado GR4 aircraft during operations over Iraq and Libya. These will now be fitted onto Typhoon Tranche 2 and 3 aircraft ready to enter service with the RAF in 2018.
Welcoming today’s announcement, Minister for Defence Equipment Support and Technology Philip Dunne said:
“Storm Shadow has a deserved reputation for accuracy and reliability. The integration of Storm Shadow onto RAF Typhoons is another powerful sign of our commitment to the continued capability development of this world class aircraft.
“The ability to prosecute stand-off targeting while maintaining control of the airspace will provide Typhoon with unique battle winning capability.”
The agreement, signed at the Farnborough International Air Show today, 17 July, was signed between the NATO Eurofighter Tornado Management Agency, on behalf of the partner nations, and Eurofighter GmbH.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:Eurofighter|DefenceTalk|Defense&MilitaryNews-Forums-Pictures-Weapons, Israel to receive euro fighter jet, long range eurofighter
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Army News and Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs