With the increasing attention the ‘5th Generation fighter’ issue has been getting recently, aviation writer and analyst Bill Sweetman on his Aviation Week blog, has joined the debate, following on from the recent ‘What is a 5th Generation Fighter?’ article published in the latest edition of Eurofighter World (2/2010).
Boeing have also jumped at the chance to add their two cents worth on the issue, and there has been significant discussions across the media from the likes of another aviation writer, Stephen Trimble on his DEW line blog published on the Flightglobal website.
Given that the topic is such a hot one, Eurofighter will be holding a presentation based on the Eurofighter World article at Farnborough International Air Show, as it seems, will Boeing.
Aside from the accuracy of the ‘generation’ classification, we will discuss a basic concept: “A fighter is a dynamic combat aircraft whose aerodynamic characteristics, sensor suite and weapon capabilities are optimised to achieve the control of the air”. The debate rages as to whether all new generation fighters are actually that – fighters.
You can be sure we will keep you up to date as the debate continues.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:fighter aircraft iran, iran fighter aircraft
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Ukranian Crisis
- Armored Vehicle Recognition Guide
- F-35 - International Participation
- Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- UFO or secret fighter jet?
- Land 400
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Question from Military Fiction Author on bridge destruction
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- General African Defense discussion