China’s independently-developed Y-20 large transport aircraft successfully completed its first test flight on January 26, 2013, which is of important significance in promoting the construction of China’s economy and national defense modernization, and responding to such emergencies as disaster rescue and relief work and humanitarian assistance.
The Y-20 is China’s independently-developed large and multi-purpose transport aircraft. It can carry out the task of long-distance air transport of various materials and personnel under complicated weather conditions.
Code-named “Kunpeng” and mainly developed by the Xi’an Aircraft Industry (Group) Company Ltd., the Y-20 transport aircraft has strong taking-off and landing capability as evidenced by being able to take off and land at airstrips, and can carry all types of armored vehicles of the army of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA).
Operated by three aircrew members, the Y-20 has the highest load-carrying capacity of 66 tons, a fuselage length of 47 meters, a wingspan of 45 meters and a height of 15 meters, and bears the maximum take-off weight of a little more than 200 tons. It has a traditional layout: tricycle landing gear and two 90-degree-deflecting wheels on the nose gear.
The aircraft will continue to carry out related tests and test flights as scheduled after its maiden flight.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:large transport aircraft
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Scottish Independence
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Potential of Gripen M, the naval variant...
- Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- What/Who downed MH17 ?
- British Army News and Discussion
- The Scottish Navy
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates