The new multi-phased array radar system has been installed on the Anzac-class frigate HMAS Perth. The radar identifies, tracks and guides missiles to multiple targets at the same time.
Minister for Defence Materiel Jason Clare inspected the radar at work on-board HMAS Perth while it was conducting training exercises off the coast of Western Australia.
“This is the latest weapon in Navy’s arsenal. It means our Anzac frigates will be a lot more capable,” Mr Clare said.
“At the moment our Anzac frigates can track and destroy one target at a time. This new radar means they will now be able to track and destroy multiple targets at the same time.
“This is also a great Australian success story. It’s cutting-edge technology developed right here in Australia by CEA Technologies.”
Chief of Navy Vice Admiral Ray Griggs said HMAS Perth had just returned from testing the system on the United States Navy Pacific Missile Range Facility in Hawaii with tremendous results.
“The tests proved that the new system can defend the ship from modern cruise missile attack. This is a significant enhancement for the Anzac-class frigates.”
HMAS Perth is the lead ship in this project. Following the successful testing of the system on this ship, the Government will soon make a decision about upgrading the other seven Anzac-class frigates.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:Australian air force arsenal, royal navy anti-radar ship designs, what are the royal navy anti radar ship made of
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Your kettle may be spying on you.
- Stealthiest yet : RQ-180 Revealed
- NZDF General discussion thread
- North Korean Military.
- Kapooka Pics
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Stealth Aircraft Operation
- British Army News and Discussion
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates