The ability of U.S. forces to gather, process, and disseminate battlespace information in a networked fashion has given them a tremendous advantage in major combat operations. This battlespace information has allowed U.S. forces to move faster and apply military power more aggressively and effectively.
Today’s networks enable shared situational awareness, unity of action, and enhanced shared understanding.
A survey of officers revealed that soldiers and leaders are investing time and resources in informal networks that connect and fill the gaps in formal networks. These informal networks include unit-level databases, social networks, blogs, online discussion groups, and chat rooms.
An intriguing opportunity exists to integrate these networks in powerful new ways — such as enabling units to self-synchronize, or to provide electronic overwatch for each other.
The authors recommend that the Army continue and expand efforts to extend the network (including SIPRNet) to lower echelons, invest more time in developing and exploiting informal networks, and expand the network to include host nation, coalition, and other U.S. government partners.Army Network-Enabled Operations: Expectations, Performance, and Opportunities for Future Improvements (236 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
- Army & Land Forces News, battlespace, communications, future, information, network, operations, performance, RAND, report, situational awareness
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- What/Who downed MH17 ?
- Ukranian Crisis
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- British Army News and Discussion
- Scottish Independence
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- The Scottish Navy
- Active Modern Military Aircraft Question...Need Input
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Assad's strategic options