What gun do you carry?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kind of a strange thread. The OP asked what kind of gun you carry, supposing that the question pertained mostly to the USA, though certainly encompassing anyone who carried a gun for self-defence, anywhere in the world. Reading through the replies, it seems like very few are posted by those who carry.....
For some reason, there seems to be no middle ground regarding the possession (and carriage) of firearms for self-defense. One either loathes the very concept, and as a corollary, those who are armed; or you welcome and approve of your fellow adults who refuse to put their faith in the "benign government" and it's power (and desire) to "protect the defenceless". Perhaps America has a higher proportion of iconoclasts - at any rate many of us take delight in sneering at Government and it's minions -politicians, judges and others of a similar ilk. To those who wonder why we carry, I can only reply that I wonder why you don't? Sour grapes because you can't?
Gun show in town this weekend. It's such a delight to associate with those of a like mind, surrounded by rows of tables covered in guns and ammo. Perhaps I should spread the joy by posting a photo - if that's allowed? :ar15
You've got another three posts to start making sense.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't, when shooting with my local shooting club there's a selection I use but primarily it's a regular .308 Enfield. In the past the club secretary has 'loaned' me a .300 WSM Remington in an AICS + .338 lap mag AWSM. The latter is to assure you I by no means pine for firearms, they are accessible to me.

Considering I don't carry, then you must believe - as you earlier stated - that

• I must therefore either hate or love firearms and those who use them because thats how you believe the community is
  • I must be absolutely jealous that you can wander around with one

Also, watch out for the one liners buddy. It's frowned upon

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
WTF?

This debate can happen without resorting to be peurile or turning it into a "them and us" vehicle of combative debate

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Actually matching force with force is a losing proposition, what is required is overmatch.

For the Australians reading this, what would you do, what options would you have, if someone had been tailing you closely, only to pass you, block the road with their vehicle, get out and then brandish impact weapons like baseball or cricket bats, tire irons, etc?
Well the first thing I would do is everything I possibly could, not to allow myself to be trapped on a road where they could block me in.

Secondly, I would call the police.

Thirdly, I would recall that I am sitting inside and in control of a 1.8 ton steel weapon, which I believe provides more than sufficient overmatch against any number of individuals on foot, armed with an impact weapon...

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
From a UK perspective, ditto.

I did turn a corner one dark night and found three people in hoodie tops stretched across the road in a loose cordon. Initially I thought I'd caught them simply crossing the road but they all turned and stood their ground. Given it was un lit and derelict industrial estate, I wasn't in the mood to stop and chat, so I flicked the central locking on, switched to main beam on the headlights to light the road up and then dropped the car a gear just to drive the point home. They moved.

My passenger did say she felt rather relieved when she heard the locks drop into place.

If they'd started waving tools or weapons, I'd have found a hole and pushed past in the car and if the road had been blocked ahead, reverse gear works fine. Even if I'd had access to a concealed carry weapon, sticking around to duke it out would be the last thing on my mind, given I had a passenger who's safety I felt responsible for.

Speed is life in that sort of situation, fumbling around for a firearm doesn't sound the most practical response.

As far as I understand it, most body guard teams would be doing the same - bale at speed.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Well the first thing I would do is everything I possibly could, not to allow myself to be trapped on a road where they could block me in.

Secondly, I would call the police.

Thirdly, I would recall that I am sitting inside and in control of a 1.8 ton steel weapon, which I believe provides more than sufficient overmatch against any number of individuals on foot, armed with an impact weapon...
This might surprise some on here, but generally safest response to someone pulling ahead and then using their vehicle to block a road prior to exiting with weapons, is indeed to go into reverse and get out of the situation.

If the situation involved two vehicles being used to block both ahead of, and behind one's own vehicle, then driving onto sidewalks, going the wrong way down a street, crossing a yard, ramming/clipping one of the vehicles to open a path to escape... Any of these would be acceptable. And of course, then call the police.

As someone who can have the option to be armed with a firearm, pretty much the only reason I would go for that first (or second, after calling the police) would be if the vehicle I was in was somehow disabled or immobilized, and it was being approached by people demonstrating aggressive behavior.

However, this is very much situational. If two separate vehicles were acting in concert to entrap one's vehicle, that is an immediate red flag that the situation is more serious and complicated than a simple albeit still potentially dangerous case of road rage.

A very good rule though is that it is better to avoid an engagement than to escape one, and better to escape one than win an engagement...

King Wally

From a UK perspective, ditto.

I did turn a corner one dark night and found three people in hoodie tops stretched across the road in a loose cordon. Initially I thought I'd caught them simply crossing the road but they all turned and stood their ground. Given it was un lit and derelict industrial estate, I wasn't in the mood to stop and chat, so I flicked the central locking on, switched to main beam on the headlights to light the road up and then dropped the car a gear just to drive the point home. They moved.

My passenger did say she felt rather relieved when she heard the locks drop into place.

If they'd started waving tools or weapons, I'd have found a hole and pushed past in the car and if the road had been blocked ahead, reverse gear works fine. Even if I'd had access to a concealed carry weapon, sticking around to duke it out would be the last thing on my mind, given I had a passenger who's safety I felt responsible for.

Speed is life in that sort of situation, fumbling around for a firearm doesn't sound the most practical response.

As far as I understand it, most body guard teams would be doing the same - bale at speed.
By and large this is the best plan. Best self defence is always to get out of the danger area as fast as possible be it running, driving etc. Theres no fun way to enjoy a fight with someone armed with a fence paling or baseball bat even if you are armed yourself. Its a case of your going to get messed up no matter what you do so getting away should always be #1.

I had a similar experiance in my car, turned a corner to drop a mate off after midnight one weekend and I was instantly surrounded by a mob of several hundered teenagers from a house party that spilled into the streets. Litterally several blocks of wall to wall kids drunk as can be. I had to lock the doors and gague it. My car was surrounded by teens to an extent where I couldn't drive any faster then walking speed for a few minutes and had they went for us for fun or worse we'd have had to just floor it and punch through them probably at extreem consequence. In the end got through them without a problem and found a different route back home to avoid the worst of the mob.

Back in my much younger days as a teenager myself I used to carry hunting knives in my car, I had a close call one day and that was when I stopped. I was driving around a shopping centre car park one day with a mate in the car when a mob of young blokes took offense to the way my friend stared at them. They ran after us and surrounded the car leaning into the window of my friend to confront him and challenge him to a fight. Little did they know my mate had already pulled out the hunting knife and had it in his hand. Had they gone that extra step and thrown the punch at my friend I'd hate to know how it would of ended but it certainly wouldn't of been reasonable use of force. I still think I dodged a bullet that day and it's a reminder that theres something to be said about just winding your window up and locking your door and moving on. Theres no medal you get for knifing (or shooting) some dropkick that tries to road rage you. Just a long court case and possible jail time. Sad but true.

SteelTiger 177

If I have a choice i would carry a Colt 1911 pistol because of the stopping power the .45 ACP round has as opposed to the 9MM round.Now i now its means less ammo in reguard to the .45 calibur rounds but i feel stopping power bets capacity anyday.

mqd123

So, which gun do you conceal carry? This question may pertain more to the US users as we wide range of laws allowing users to carry concealed weapons with permit.

The state where I live, requires a permit to carry but you can own and keep a gun in your house and in your car (not sure about if its needs to be in locked compartment, I don't think so) without any permit/license. Which is great!!!

I always have a knife (spyderco tenacious) on me for last year or so but now thinking about getting concealed carry permit to carry a gun. I've got a Glock 19 9mm, great gun, but carrying that on daily basis is bulky in my opinion. There are number of options that I am considering, like the 9mm Karh PM9 or Ruger LC9, both subcompact guns and really easy to carry and conceal, especially in everyday work attire.

On the other hand, there are those people who carry guns like 1911 and Glock 17s on daily basis, I don't know how they do it.

So, what gun do you carry?
I'm not a fan of the subcompacts, I'm just not accurate with them. They're basically "get the f#$% off of me" guns and if we're that close, I prefer my knife. My conceal carry guns are CZ-P01, Jericho 941C, Glock 19 and the H&K USP9C. All great guns.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not that I would ever carry a fire arm in public or for self defence (my face, build and body odour is usually adequate defence anyway) but I am seriously contemplating getting back into shooting.

Had a look at the local club ranges and facilities and they are excellent so am thinking of a return to pistol shooting but probably initially give small bore rifle a go. Had a look at the CZ 452 or 455 in .22, .17HMR or .22 Magnum and maybe look at a centre fire i.e. a Steyr Mannlicher down the track.

Used to own a Tanfoglio XL4 in .40 cal and would look at a new one in .38super or maybe 9mm depending on cost and availability. Always loved SIGs so maybe a .357SIG down the track or even a 9mm SIG 210 if I can find one.

Actually have a verbal ok from the manager of domestic finances once im over my current health issues.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The gun laws are VERY strict. So I have to carry a couple of bladed weapons in my car instead.
Weapons laws are strict. Note the important part there - weapons, not guns.

Carrying bladed weapons for self-defence in most parts of Australia is every bit as illegal as carrying guns.

In your car is still legally defined as a public place under certain circumstances, so be careful carrying bladed weapons even there. Possession of an edged weapon in a public place is unlawful in most parts of Australia unless you have a reasonable excuse and self defence / doomsday prepping etc is not considered reasonable at law.

No law against big Maglite torches or a handy cricket or baseball bat though!

;)

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Gotta love the Maglite, one in the bed room and one in the kitchen, purely for blackouts though

the road runner

Had a look at the local club ranges and facilities and they are excellent so am thinking of a return to pistol shooting but probably initially give small bore rifle a go. Had a look at the CZ 452 or 455 in .22, .17HMR or .22 Magnum and maybe look at a centre fire i.e. a Steyr Mannlicher down the track.
CZ make great small bore rifles. My mate has a cracking little Synthetic 455.Fun to shoot and never had a feeding issue in the field. For the tacticool look CZ now offer a Varmint barrel with a manners stock.

I have fired a few bolt action Steyr rifles SSG-69,Elite and a SSG04 A1.
Great LTR rifles and well finished.Would not recommend one for a hunting rifle,but for bench shooting they go good.

I just blind someone with my LED Lenser torch

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not that I would ever carry a fire arm in public or for self defence (my face, build and body odour is usually adequate defence anyway) but I am seriously contemplating getting back into shooting.

You can't go wrong with a CZ, they make excellent weapons all the way around. A good friend of mine got serious target shooting with .22's 3 or 4 years ago. He buys/sells/trades alot and has tried a number of rifles over that time. He is now a very big Valmet fan and owns a number of them. I do joke with him about how much he is spending on a single shot bolt action 22 (Valmets are not cheap) but he enjoys the accuracy aspect and the fact he can shoot all day long for little cost compared to center fire rifles. I reallize you are in Oz and may or may not have access to the same type rifles, but if you do you may want to check out the Valmet or even Sako.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Gotta love the Maglite, one in the bed room and one in the kitchen, purely for blackouts though
Me too. I'd hate to be stuck on the side of the road waiting for the breakdown service in complete darkness, hence why I have a Maglite Derek Jeter would be proud of, on hand!

:nutkick

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For serious retina burn I have my old dive torch in the glove box, that thing takes 6 D cell batteries and is spot light bright.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You can't go wrong with a CZ, they make excellent weapons all the way around. A good friend of mine got serious target shooting with .22's 3 or 4 years ago. He buys/sells/trades alot and has tried a number of rifles over that time. He is now a very big Valmet fan and owns a number of them. I do joke with him about how much he is spending on a single shot bolt action 22 (Valmets are not cheap) but he enjoys the accuracy aspect and the fact he can shoot all day long for little cost compared to center fire rifles. I reallize you are in Oz and may or may not have access to the same type rifles, but if you do you may want to check out the Valmet or even Sako.
Sako is definitely available not sure on Valmet though but will likely play down the range for a while before choosing. Had only ever fired .22 as a sub calibre training round in my uniform days and in pistols as part of my licensing, hadn't been too fussed. Tried .22 out of a purpose designed bolt action for the first time four years ago and was amazed at how much I enjoyed it.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The serious .22L target rifles have pretty amazing accuracy, I've been to my friends house shooting just a few times and I was impressed. Alot of fun to be had, and your shoulder will never get tired!

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
With a fractured T4 vertebra a .22LR is about as big as I could lift at the moment anyway.