What gun do you carry?

the road runner

I reallize you are in Oz and may or may not have access to the same type rifles, but if you do you may want to check out the Valmet or even Sako.
We have them both available here in Oz.
I am a happy Sako 85 SS owner.

The funny thing is,people around the world think we dont have access to alot of rifles.
We can buy a 50 cal bolt action if we want to,but semi autos are for professional hunters and primary producers(Farmers).

SASWanabe

The funny thing is,people around the world think we dont have access to alot of rifles.
We can buy a 50 cal bolt action if we want to,but semi autos are for professional hunters and primary producers(Farmers).
50 bmg is off limits in QLD, so is anything defined as an "Anti Tank Rifle" (Might be a loophole here for an "Anti Material Rifle" though).

the road runner

50 bmg is off limits in QLD, so is anything defined as an "Anti Tank Rifle" (Might be a loophole here for an "Anti Material Rifle" though).
Most states require a reason for having such a rifle.
Hunting buff and camel is a reason to have one.

You will find most ranges in Australia let you only shoot up to 308W with a 150 Grain projectile.So to use bigger cals you will need your own property

In NSW we can have 338 lappy.. 416... or even 50 cal.

Got a spare 12 K?

</title> <script> function Backward(oSpyID) { // The hidden post-back spy or counter field var spy = null; // Total number of post-backs var refreshes = new Number(0); // Allows the actual previous page to be selected var offset = new Number(1); spy

SASWanabe

The legislation in Qld specifically mentions 50 Bmg as category R, only way you can own cat R is if its been made permanently inoperable.

i might have to move to Nsw, that way i can have a 50 Bmg and some koi ;)

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Yep. Complete ban on 0.50cal rifles up here. .338 Lapua however (if your wallet is large enough...)

:D

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Complete ban on 0.50cal rifles up here. .338 Lapua however (if your wallet is large enough...)

:D
There's something about the .338 Lapua that makes me want to get back into long arms (although I was thinking more a Sako 85 Black Bear in .308 realistically)... must cost a mountain but I'd love to give a good 1000 metre range a go with a .338. However I don't think the missus would care for me footing that bill purely for a firearm (she is by no means a shooter and regards my enthusiasm with some measure of confusion - I think I can swing her though on clay target shooting, once she does that for the first time I'm convinced she'll get into it).

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Got my permission already, just need the finances as some other things to click into place over coming months and I'm back in the sport. That's unless I get really lucky and find myself going for a pilots certificate (sports pilot) or getting a new motorbike instead.

Really looking forward to getting started back shooting as soon as I can though.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my permission already, just need the finances as some other things to click into place over coming months and I'm back in the sport. That's unless I get really lucky and find myself going for a pilots certificate (sports pilot) or getting a new motorbike instead.

Really looking forward to getting started back shooting as soon as I can though.
Actually just had an introductory helicopter flight the other day - magnificent feeling it was!

Yeah, I want to get back into the shooting but the question is what takes precedent... if I go with handguns it'll either be a .357 revolver or a 1911 chambered for .38 Super, long arms like I said, something in .308 with open sights - can't have em all unfortunately!

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I know the feeling, want to do everything but only have the time and money to do some of the things. Would like to do IPSC, probably production pistol, small bore rifle and full bore but which.

Was taking flying lessons while at Uni, loved it but kept running out of money. That's the biggest aversion now I want to make sure I finish it this time if I start it again.

rossfrb_1

There's something about the .338 Lapua that makes me want to get back into long arms (although I was thinking more a Sako 85 Black Bear in .308 realistically)... must cost a mountain but I'd love to give a good 1000 metre range a go with a .338. However I don't think the missus would care for me footing that bill purely for a firearm (she is by no means a shooter and regards my enthusiasm with some measure of confusion - I think I can swing her though on clay target shooting, once she does that for the first time I'm convinced she'll get into it).
Usedguns.com.au have a couple of 338 Lapua's smaller (case capacity) brothers the 338 Winchester Magnum:
Sako Finbear 338WM (+ Kahles scope) & Sako AV Safari 338WM also a Sako 85 308W (varmint!).

Yeah you might need to sell a kidney tho.
Would also help if you reload.

I tried posting the direct links but they got mangled in translation so edited out.

rb

The serious .22L target rifles have pretty amazing accuracy, I've been to my friends house shooting just a few times and I was impressed. Alot of fun to be had, and your shoulder will never get tired!
We have a handgun hunting season for White Tail deer here in Illinois, and I have taken a few with a 44 mag and 357mag with iron sites, as you might imagine it is a 10-75 yard or so affair, with irons, although scopes are permited as well. I don't really enjoy beating up my weapons, ears, etc, so I often practice, plink, etc with 38s or 44 specials, often from 40 to 100 yds, what has surprised me is how accurate small rimfires can be. My wife has a small Smith and Wesson revolver, and I have an older Beretta 70s, which is a single action, with adjustable sights. They are both far more accurate than I am capable of, especially as I am approaching 60. All of these weapons are concealable under a jacket, and downloaded with an appropriate defensive load, very accurate, and comforting. Illinois has just passed conceal and carry, and several of my friends, both over fifty have earned theirs, although there is a requirement for 16 hrs of classroom and shooting instruction.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah, rifle talk, something someone from the UK can get involved in (you can own .50 cal rifles here ;) )

Fired a .338 LapMag AWSM once a couple of years ago, that AICS was incredibly comfortable after spending a day firing an Enfield chambered in .308 most of the day (1000 yds)

Ah, rifle talk, something someone from the UK can get involved in (you can own .50 cal rifles here ;) )

Fired a .338 LapMag AWSM once a couple of years ago, that AICS was incredibly comfortable after spending a day firing an Enfield chambered in .308 most of the day (1000 yds)
Yeah, makes me flinch just thinking about it, but then my few rifles are a Husqvarna 30-06, and FN Win 270, both lovely Mausers from the the 50s. I am quite intimidated by the .50 BMG even though my wifes little sister, who is a reporter has fired one, some of the recoil reducing stocks are really amazing, but don't lend themselves to the look of those old Mausers.

Now on the far more interesting subject of flying, I would encourage you all to hang in there, my Dad was an IP in the C-130, and when he retired to the farm, he started a flying club with several other gents, and we bought a 1968 C-172, quite obviously the best toy a young guy could have, and I did some silly things with that girl, but she was up to the fun. I loved flying off the little grass strips, here in Central Obamastan, mostly just announcing your intentions over "Unicom", 122.8. I can truly say though I had a heart attack, I still enjoyed my last Heli ride about 4 years ago, just prior to my triple by-pass.....the by pass was NO fun.

Bonza, were you flying a Robinson? I would love to have a few hours of rotary wing, but of course, I would prefer a turbine, because much of the power management is coupled???

Actually just had an introductory helicopter flight the other day - magnificent feeling it was!

Yeah, I want to get back into the shooting but the question is what takes precedent... if I go with handguns it'll either be a .357 revolver or a 1911 chambered for .38 Super, long arms like I said, something in .308 with open sights - can't have em all unfortunately!
Each of those are outstanding choices, the 38 Super is sometimes problematic finding ammo, where the .357 and the .308 should be fairly easy to find ammo for. Even during our recent supply crisis due to panic buying, my old 30-06, and . 270 were still available, although .38 special and .357 were few and far between. One of my nice handguns is a Colt Super 38 Guvment, enough healthier than the 9mm to make it interesting, and as you have observed a very nice fit on the 1911 platform, although I must also confess a fondness for the Browning HP in 9mm. In fact, though I stay away from double stacked mags, the High Power fits my hand in such a pleasing way, and 13 rounds of 9mm. Shame you're not close, I would love to have somebody to shoot with, even with my small collection, I'm sure you could find something that you liked.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Each of those are outstanding choices, the 38 Super is sometimes problematic finding ammo, where the .357 and the .308 should be fairly easy to find ammo for. Even during our recent supply crisis due to panic buying, my old 30-06, and . 270 were still available, although .38 special and .357 were few and far between. One of my nice handguns is a Colt Super 38 Guvment, enough healthier than the 9mm to make it interesting, and as you have observed a very nice fit on the 1911 platform, although I must also confess a fondness for the Browning HP in 9mm. In fact, though I stay away from double stacked mags, the High Power fits my hand in such a pleasing way, and 13 rounds of 9mm. Shame you're not close, I would love to have somebody to shoot with, even with my small collection, I'm sure you could find something that you liked.
Yeah, the HP is a beautiful gun, that single action keeps it nice and slim compared to a lot of the more modern high-capacity nines... choosing the .38 Super is essentially due to certain handgun restrictions we Australians have to live with - it's less hassle getting something in .38/9mm than it is with a larger calibre. The 1911 frame also neatly ties up the length and capacity restrictions too, so it's a solid choice, only problem might possibly be cost.

I think the helicopter was a Robinson, if I remember correctly. Small little thing, good fun though - couldn't get the smile off my face until I was on the ground again...

Yeah, the HP is a beautiful gun, that single action keeps it nice and slim compared to a lot of the more modern high-capacity nines... choosing the .38 Super is essentially due to certain handgun restrictions we Australians have to live with - it's less hassle getting something in .38/9mm than it is with a larger calibre. The 1911 frame also neatly ties up the length and capacity restrictions too, so it's a solid choice, only problem might possibly be cost.

I think the helicopter was a Robinson, if I remember correctly. Small little thing, good fun though - couldn't get the smile off my face until I was on the ground again...
I bet, that makes me smile just thinking about it, I just love helicopters, I took a tour with two of my children nearly 20 years ago in the Smokies, that jet-ranger is really a nice bird, it was very hot, but it came right off and performed well on the. short flight to the mountains. Those two really enjoyed it, my daughter loved to fly, tells me yet today things we did back when I had a medical and an airplane. I have flight sim X and the Xcelleration pack on my desktop, I do better with the Jet Ranger, than with the Robinson???? not quite like the real thing, lots of fun anyway.

I really like your choice of the 1911 and the 38 Super, the factory mag holds nine rounds, and if you carry condition one, with one in the pipe, I would say you are very well armed. My older Colt seems to like the Winchester 125 gr Silvertip Hollowpoinst, some of the 130 ball is loaded a little lighter, and I have on occasion had a few stovepipes??? My older Colt headspaces off the small rim on the case, but the newer Colts and most other Supers now headspace off the case mouth for more accuracy, like the 45 acp.

and if you have a chance to visit the states, my little brother just bought a very nice older Cessna 150, it has a climb prop, and the Horton?? STOL kit, drooped leading edge, tips, and aileron fences, he'd love to let you fly that.

I bought a Smith and Wesson 3913 LS which, is the lady-Smith, single side safety, single column mags. Lovely little aluminum framed, perfect for CCW, but the trigger..........double action pull on the first round, then single action subsequently, but that looong double action is distracting, I guess I just need to shoot it more.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm thinking of getting back into IPSC as well. Civilian long arms have never really interested me, but I love pistol shooting.

I've always shot best with a Glock 23 out of the weapons I've used (Glocks, Browning HP's and a Kahr Arms K9 for a bit). My daily weapon nowadays is a baby G27 and the G22 is what our uniform people carry but they are a little large for my grip.

The G23 I've found is the best compromise between concealment (can still be worn on your ankle if necessary) and a reasonable sized and accurate weapon.

Going to look at getting a private one should I rejoin the pistol shooting world...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I'm thinking of getting back into IPSC as well. Civilian long arms have never really interested me, but I love pistol shooting.

I've always shot best with a Glock 23 out of the weapons I've used (Glocks, Browning HP's and a Kahr Arms K9 for a bit). My daily weapon nowadays is a baby G27 and the G22 is what our uniform people carry but they are a little large for my grip.

The G23 I've found is the best compromise between concealment (can still be worn on your ankle if necessary) and a reasonable sized and accurate weapon.

Going to look at getting a private one should I rejoin the pistol shooting world...
Nicest pistol I've fired would be the SIG 226 but the Tanfoglio XL4 came a pretty close second which is why I bought one when I was shooting. Never done IPSC but would like to give it a go if I get back into pistols. Wouldn't mind getting something classic as well, a SIG 210 and a Mauser C96 are top of my list in addition to whatever production 9mm, .38 Super, or .357 SIG semi auto I get for target / IPSC.

Definitely think rimfire rifle will be the go to start with when I do get the chance to do it again. Affordable and above all (at the moment) light enough that I can lift and handle without any real difficulty. Bench and prone shooting would also be the go.

Depending how rimfire rifle goes I will then look at centrefire rifle and pistol options.

Oddly enough I've never owned/fired a Glock, although the looks have grown on me, I have shot several Springfield Armory SDs-SDMs 9mm and .40 S&W, and strangely do rather well, I recently shot a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 and just loved it, though with the friends reloads, I did have to smack a few out of the chamber, that wouldn't go into battery, but those same reloads blew through my S&W 3913 like so much hot butter. As you may have guessed I like "pretty guns" and yes I know that's dumb, and "expensive", anyway like you I have found many double stacks to be to large, and in fact have gone back to diamond magna's on my few N Frame Smith and Wessons.

Volkadav, be carefull with that T-4 Vertibrae, my little brother and I are both problematic, he has a Triton bass boat, that will fly, but has made his neck issues worse and my GSXR-1000 Suzuki crotch rocket is a killer, when I am wearing my helmet. When you heal up, a .223 is a wonderful and accurate little cartridge, but wear ear protection, 22-250 is also a real performer for a light kicker, the AR is a wonderful platform, and so accurate in many of the newer rifles, but needs to be run wet and kept clean. Although I will confess that the petite Mauser actions makes some very pretty, light weight and handy little rifles, the last Mark X I saw was gone when I went back, but I wish I had bought it. I really do prefer bolt rifles, and while I love that Mauser claw, any of the light .223, 22-250 actions would be awesome for a coyote gun or even a carbine, oh and go find you an airplane, you really do need to do a little flying, that'll put the smile back on in a hurry. I also like that Sig-210, but those go for a small fortune if you find one over here...well here's hoping you gentlemen can get your shootin irons bought, the smell of gunpowder is addictive.