What gun do you carry?

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I would really like a Sphinx, all 9mm x19 I think or another Tanfoglio, they com in a range of calibre but .38 Super sort of catches my imagination and would be suitable for regular target use, metal silhouette or even ipsc (if I can get fit enough)

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Possession / use of body armour is offence in some countries, including Australia, therefore not an option.

It is a justifiable argument that the ready availability of high power semi automatic weapons and body armour can provide criminals and terrorists with a local overmatch compared to local law enforcement, let alone members of the public, meaning more people could be killed or injured in any incident, but in particular those in densely populated areas, such as schools, shopping centers and transportation hubs before adequately equipped first responders could respond. It has been sadly demonstrated that first responders can struggle to adequately handle a single mentally impaired person armed with a knife, even with an over match of a service pistol, taser, capsicum spray and batons, how could the average patrol officer hope to protect the public from a heavily armed, armoured and determined individual?

hairyman

30 years in Victoria Police. In 1960 we were using .32 auto's, mainly Brownings, but different stations had the occasiona l Colt or Beretta. In 1966 I went to the Wireless Patrol, at that time the shock troops of Vic Police. We still had Brownings, but they had a 2" extended barrel. Whoop. We also had access to shotguns, tear gas guns and carbines, the carbines were 2nd World War vintage, and had been used by Prison Officers, and they, like the .32 Brownings issued to the Police Statiions, were well worn and loose. The only time I remember having anything to do with the tear gas guns were on the annual pistol practise day at Williamstown rifle range when they made sure you got a gutful of tear gas. They did the same thing to us in Natcho. About 1969 they came out with .357 Special Smith and Wessons, which initially were issued to the Crime Squads (Previous Wireless Patrol) and CIB Offices where I was by then. A couple of years ago they went to Smith and Wesson.40 autos, where they are today.
I never fired a handgun in the Army, closest thing to it would have been the Owen and F1. I was a marksman with the Owen at Puckapunual. (I think about 4 soldiers beside me were hitting my target. )

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Possession / use of body armour is offence in some countries, including Australia, therefore not an option
also covered under import and local reseller restrictions under firearms sub clauses.

ie you have to have a special license to sell ballistic SP gear

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I carry a glock 19 which I find very helpful, you can read a glock 19 review here.
I don't carry one, but just this afternoon I submitted my Permit to Acquire one through our local Weapons licencing Authority.

28 day wait (as it is my first on this new licence) and I will be in the market.

Looking at a Gen 4 in flat dark earth...

Last edited:

madmike262

What gun do you carry

One of three,Kimber custom tactical hd,Glock 21 SF,S&W M&P Shield.All 45acp depends on the weather and what Im wearing.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Due to a couple of issues with Qld weapons Licencing laws, I have ditched the Glock idea.

I've now purchased a Sig Sauer P320, which should arrived in 28 days or so...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Due to a couple of issues with Qld weapons Licencing laws, I have ditched the Glock idea.

Living rural now and getting sick of having to kill cane toads etc with a shovel, time to finally get my license back and buy a .22 to take care of them with rat shot.

Love the sound of the P320, always liked SIGs but never had the cash and the time at the same time.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Living rural now and getting sick of having to kill cane toads etc with a shovel, time to finally get my license back and buy a .22 to take care of them with rat shot.

Love the sound of the P320, always liked SIGs but never had the cash and the time at the same time.
Cane Toads?

Forget about the Shovel or a Gun, get your golf bag, get out a one or three Iron and swing away!!!

The sound of saying 'fore', and hearing 'splat!' is very rewarding indeed!!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Cane Toads?

Forget about the Shovel or a Gun, get your golf bag, get out a one or three Iron and swing away!!!

The sound of saying 'fore', and hearing 'splat!' is very rewarding indeed!!
Might be good for practising the golf swing, but then you've got to clean the mess off the club afterwards. Bang and the smell of gunpowder is far better.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Yep, it's a great looking gat, that feels very nice to shoot as well. I liked it on first sight.

Yep, .22 is definitely hady to have, though a nice little .410 would do the trick as well...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, it's a great looking gat, that feels very nice to shoot as well. I liked it on first sight.

Yep, .22 is definitely hady to have, though a nice little .410 would do the trick as well...
We are on 5 acres but are looking at a 90 acre lot, could use something more than a .22 then.

rossfrb_1

We are on 5 acres but are looking at a 90 acre lot, could use something more than a .22 then.
Rat shot isn't cheap in 22lr or 22wmr.
If the golf club option wears thin then I'd think about a sluggy, probably gas piston 22 cal.
You have Gamo up to Weihrauch to choose from depending on budget. And lead free pellets are even an option too.
rb

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Well, due to our insane Weapons Licencing Bureaucracy, it took a bit longer than 28 days, but it has finally arrived...

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Nice and it shouldn't pressure form cases like the Glock does.
They do? Can't say I've really ever noticed that, but then I have never go into reloading so I must admit I don't pay a lot of attention to used brass...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
They do? Can't say I've really ever noticed that, but then I have never go into reloading so I must admit I don't pay a lot of attention to used brass...
Used to give me the irrits big time as anything that had been through a glock wouldn't feed, or worse would jam in the chamber of my Tanfoglio.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Used to give me the irrits big time as anything that had been through a glock wouldn't feed, or worse would jam in the chamber of my Tanfoglio.
I used to have a 410 that I used on cane toads - nice little shotty :)

my other small was a ruger 10/22 with a custom magazine. basically 2 mags plastic welded to each other, release, flip and insert. nice little rifle, a great termite hill trimmer :)

last one I owned was a ruger 44 carbine. another well built bit of kit

hairyman

I used to have a 410 that I used on cane toads - nice little shotty :)

my other small was a ruger 10/22 with a custom magazine. basically 2 mags plastic welded to each other, release, flip and insert. nice little rifle, a great termite hill trimmer :)

last one I owned was a ruger 44 carbine. another well built bit of kit
What on earth would you need a .44 carbine for? The cane toads are not that big surely.