What gun do you carry?

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A .22 semi-auto with birdshot would be more appropriate...
:D
Yes but a .50cal would be more fun wouldn't it? :D

Might sound stupid but I have never (to my knowledge) ever shot a living thing, put lots and lots of rounds down range but never had a living thing in the sight picture and squeezed the trigger. Many mice and rats, even to odd snake have met their end at my hands, just never with a gun. Pidgeons on the other hand I leave to my dog, quite spectacular seeing a 50kg dog leap in the air and catch one in flight.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
A .22 semi-auto with birdshot would be more appropriate...

Speaking of which, back in my uniform days I went to a job once, where a pest controller was tasked with clearing out a massive Sparrow infestation at a major suburban shopping centre.

His solution? Start blazing away with said .22 semi-auto rifle in a public place, without telling anyone, heedless of the public, the law and so on...

Good times...

:D
Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager and my older brother, who isn't much of a shooter, found an eastern brown snake in our driveway. His comment when he came into the house was "there's a snake out there, I'll go get the .308"...

For the record, the snake was sitting on concrete and nestled up against a brick wall, and we lived pretty much smack bang in the middle of town, on the same block as the local cop shop! And he wanted to unleash a bloody .308 on the thing!

I'm twelve years his junior but regardless, I had to tell him to shut up and get a shovel...

Eeshaan

I forgot to say, I have an American made high-tech hunting crossbow, that I got from the USA.

And damn, does it look badass or what. It uses a loader to load the bolts, and believe me, just take a look at one of those bolts ( theyre precision engineered stainless steel/titanium tips). Any living creature would rather get hit by a .50 cal bulet than one of those tips.

But the joke ( and fail ) is on me as hunting is illegal in India HAHA. But at least I am a proud owner of an awesome American made hunting crossbow.

I must say in this case, "America, **** yeah ! "

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Reminds me of the time when I was a teenager and my older brother, who isn't much of a shooter, found an eastern brown snake in our driveway. His comment when he came into the house was "there's a snake out there, I'll go get the .308"...

For the record, the snake was sitting on concrete and nestled up against a brick wall, and we lived pretty much smack bang in the middle of town, on the same block as the local cop shop! And he wanted to unleash a bloody .308 on the thing!

I'm twelve years his junior but regardless, I had to tell him to shut up and get a shovel...
Found a very happy, full and content brown coiled inside the "humane" mouse trap I use in the avery.

PCShogun

That a type of shotgun? The online Hindi to English dictionary is not very complete. It just describes it as a type of firearm. If a shotgun, you likely have the best weapon for home defense, assuming you can move it around inside your home easily.

Lcf

I have Zastava M57 7.62x25 mm pistol though I don't carry it too often. Thank God, I don't have to.
Other than that (off topic), Zastava M70AB2 7.62x39mm assault rifle... in the corner of my room.
Cheers

PCShogun

Be aware that the Tokarov round is fully capable of shooting through most homes, including the exterior walls. With that 25mm long case, the round is getting near to assault rifle velocity from a hand gun, and with hard ball projectiles, will punch through several inches of pine, meaning the studs will not necessarily stop this round should it hit one.

The M70 is, of course, even more likely to penetrate several walls, not necessarily your own.:soldier

Eeshaan

That a type of shotgun? The online Hindi to English dictionary is not very complete. It just describes it as a type of firearm. If a shotgun, you likely have the best weapon for home defense, assuming you can move it around inside your home easily.
Bandooks are badass. A few years ago youd see big dudes with badass curly
moustaches guarding jewellery stores with double barreled bandooks.

jim4065

Hi. Interesting forum. I carry a Kahr CW40, or a S&W 642, or a SIG P230, or a Ruger LCP, depending on what I'm wearing, the weather, or a whim. Usually I don't carry at all because I'm both fat and lazy - but I imagine that might bite me, someday.
I live in a very "Red" state (Arkansas), where we tend to accept the 2nd Amendment (and the rest of the Bill of Rights) as a limitation on Government. Lots of guns and ammo, please! America is one of the few countries which achieved independence through armed revolt against the existing government; and rights which were bought with blood will have to be taken away with a lot more blood - I hope. At any rate, an interesting conversation. As the proud owner of two Ortgies 7.65mm pistols, I was delighted to discover someone who actually carries an Ortgies, which may be the best "point and shoot" pistol that I've ever handled.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi. Interesting forum. I carry a Kahr CW40, or a S&W 642, or a SIG P230, or a Ruger LCP, depending on what I'm wearing, the weather, or a whim. Usually I don't carry at all because I'm both fat and lazy - but I imagine that might bite me, someday.
I live in a very "Red" state (Arkansas), where we tend to accept the 2nd Amendment (and the rest of the Bill of Rights) as a limitation on Government. Lots of guns and ammo, please! America is one of the few countries which achieved independence through armed revolt against the existing government; and rights which were bought with blood will have to be taken away with a lot more blood - I hope. At any rate, an interesting conversation. As the proud owner of two Ortgies 7.65mm pistols, I was delighted to discover someone who actually carries an Ortgies, which may be the best "point and shoot" pistol that I've ever handled.
They are great little pistols, I'm equally surprised to find another Ortgies owner, particularly in this thread. I "had" my C&R license for years and acquired alot of cool pocket pistols from the turn of the centry and into the 50's. No big surprise most of them carry as well today as they did back in their day and as I said earlier, if I want to carry small I usually pick the Ortgies. :)

magnum

HI, I'm new to this forum, having just joined. I am from Brisbane Australia and like other people from this great city on the forum, have never felt the need for a carry gun for self (or other) defence, even if I could have one here. But I am also a socially responsible citizen and can see the role an armed and trained citizenship could play in situations where someone intent on killing people needs to be stopped. As the saying goes "when seconds count the police are only minutes away."

After the recent school massacre I have become acutely aware of the role and armed and trained citizenship could play in limiting the damage of these people.

As has been said before, in Australia we don't have a 2nd amendment or even a Bill of Rights as you do in the US, nor have we generally had licencing for carry guns for self defence.

The big event for us here was the Port Arthur (remote tourist destination in Tasmania) massacre where a mentally deranged person with a AR-15 and a FN FN FAL (SLR) killed 35 people and injured some 20 others. Police understandably had little effect on the killings. He was arrested some day and a half later. In fact, The Tasmanian SWAT did not arrive until 7 to 8 hours after the killing started. Most of the killing occurred in two locations, a cafe 12 people killed in 15 seconds and a gift shop where 20 people were killed within the space of 2 minutes. Two local police responding to the call were pinned down in a ditch for hours. One does not need too much imagination to figure out what one armed and trained citizen could have done to limit and end this killing spree.

After this the government acted swiftly to radically tighten gun laws and confiscate (buy back) all semi autos and pump action shot guns, with only certain exceptions for farmers.

With the recent school mass shooting in the US I have become more interested in the potential role an armed and trained citizenship can play in these events.

Hence the reason for joining this forum.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Mate, where were the armed citizens at the new town school?
There have been no mass shootings in this country since the new gun laws.
No hoddle streets, no port Arthur,s none.
I am happy with the way gun laws are now, I can own any gun I could possibly neèd now. I don't NEED an AR15, or SKK , SLR or spas12. if I want a glock, I can have one, nothing wrong with our laws. There is NO need for average sporting shooters to own an assault rifle IMO, sporting rifle, yeah sure, any Cal you want, but we àre not going to face "RED DAWN"
Armed citizens have not stopped columbines, new towns or Port Arthur,s ever.
The western world is bombarded with US culture, so what happens there does effect us. I live in the NT, and work at some of the most remote parts of the world.
Blows me away when I go to a community 3 hours flying time from Darwin, and see kids dressed like NY gangsters. They want to be pimp drug dealers with guns.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Mate, where were the armed citizens at the new town school?
There have been no mass shootings in this country since the new gun laws.
No hoddle streets, no port Arthur,s none.
I am happy with the way gun laws are now, I can own any gun I could possibly neèd now. I don't NEED an AR15, or SKK , SLR or spas12. if I want a glock, I can have one, nothing wrong with our laws. There is NO need for average sporting shooters to own an assault rifle IMO, sporting rifle, yeah sure, any Cal you want, but we àre not going to face "RED DAWN"
Armed citizens have not stopped columbines, new towns or Port Arthur,s ever.
The western world is bombarded with US culture, so what happens there does effect us. I live in the NT, and work at some of the most remote parts of the world.
Blows me away when I go to a community 3 hours flying time from Darwin, and see kids dressed like NY gangsters. They want to be pimp drug dealers with guns.
I must admit I am on the same page on this one, while I would like the freedom to own what I want I have also seen far too many examples of people who couldn't be trusted to be safe and responsible with mundane domestic appliances let alone automatic weapons. It is a case of the lowest common denominator, nut jobs and guns don't mix so, unfortunately responsible, sane people need to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Factually at least 10% of mass killings have been thwarted by armed citezens, none have been thwarted by law enforcement. Considering less than 3% of US citizens are licensed to conceal carry that is in and of itself an interesting statistic. School shootings aren't going to be stopped by conceal carry citizens because schools are gun free zones, conceal carry citizens are not permitted to carry in gun free zones. If any number of the school staff were carrying a firearm that day, there would be a lot less grieving families today. There are many countries that have outright banned private firearms ownership, yet they still have gun crimes. The problem we face in the US has nothing to do with guns and everything to do with the person behind the trigger. It is a societal issue, not a gun issue. If banning guns would end violent crime once and for all I would be the first to sign up for it but the simple truth it is pure fantasy to believe such a thing and one only need look at the drug trade to reallize that.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, let's nip this in the bud before it starts getting really political, shall we?

Magnum, if you joined this forum because you're interested in issues regarding an armed citizenry then I'm afraid you might be a bit disappointed.

the road runner

Well said. Our gun laws are well thought out.Primary producers can have semi auto's,sporting shooters can have bolt actions,lever action and pump action rifles.
That is all that is needed for sporting shooters and hunters.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
One thing puzzles me about our gun laws. why can gun shops still sell 7.62 x 39?
To the best of my knowledge, there are no bolt action guns available in this Cal in australia. Maybe ban certain calibres, say. 308, .223, and 7.62 x 39.
That would still leave ..222, 22/250 .243 3030 300mag, .270 etc for sporting shooters, and make it harder for the nuts to load their illegal sks,s mini14,s etc, just a thought.

the road runner

One thing puzzles me about our gun laws. why can gun shops still sell 7.62 x 39?
To the best of my knowledge, there are no bolt action guns available in this Cal in australia.
There are quite a few 7.62 x 39 bolt action rifles in Australia. Australian International Arms (AIA) make a 7.62 x 39 as do a number of other suppliers.

I tend to find purchasing ex military ammo is cheaper than buying name brands.Ex mil 308W (great for punching paper)for example, works out @ 80 cents a shot while Federal/Winchester works out at $1.30 a shot on average.

Being a sporting shooter i cringe when i see some peanut using a gun to impose his will on others.Sporting shooters are among the most law biding citizens this country has.Its the crims who have un registered rifles that are the problem.

Anyone with an illegal firearm or ammunition should be thrown in jail for 20 years ,thats my opinion.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
To the best of my knowledge, there are no bolt action guns available in this Cal in australia. Maybe ban certain calibres, say. 308, .223, and 7.62 x 39.
That would still leave ..222, 22/250 .243 3030 300mag, .270 etc for sporting shooters, and make it harder for the nuts to load their illegal sks,s mini14,s etc, just a thought.

I believe a number of European countries have made it illegal for civilians to own military calibre firearms, hence the existence of 9x21mm etc.

The other thing some have done is limit magazine capacities to two or five rounds. I suppose it makes sense as a sporting shooter should be able to take down game with a shot or two and wouldn't need a larger magazine while a nut job would have to reload giving people time to run and first responders time to arrive and engage.

Guns don't kill people, nut jobs and criminals with access to guns do, stop the access and limit the loss of innocent life.